Options

For those who don't get it, admiration is acceptable, perving is not

janceejancee Posts: 2,881
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Seems some people genuinely don't get what was so offensive about Ken's a*rse comments. 'What's wrong with looking at attractive [insert body part of preference]s? I do!' is typical of quite a few comments on here.

Of course our eyes are drawn to attractive entities, be they people, works of art, whatever.

But when it comes to people, there is a massive difference between a glance of appreciation or admiration and perving, leching, leering, whatever you wish to call it. The former is natural/respectful, the latter objectifies and has the potential to make the person concerned uncomfortable, even fearful.

An additional objectionable layer is added to this when it is an older person commenting or lusting after people young enough to be their sons/daughters - it's just inappropriate - even creepy.

What about Page 3 or whatever the male equivalent is? Well - when someone puts their image in such a context they might expect that image to be stared at but the crucial thing is that it is just that: in that context. It doesn't mean they are fair game, for want of a better phrase, in their everyday lives.

I would add that I object to Page 3 [et al] only because it creates and encourages a social climate where it is seen as acceptable to objectify.

Comments

• Options
    puddytatpuddytat Posts: 6,351
    Forum Member
    Respect works both ways. The girls should be more careful about flashing the flesh when there are people of varying ages and genders around. A bit of consideration all round would be welcome. And a bit less of the effing and blinding from the young'uns would also be appreciated.
  • Options
    ConcretepigsyConcretepigsy Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it was a 20 year old hunk looking at them they would be flirting and all over them. You don't want to be perved at? Then dress appropriately.

Even more astounding that she's a page 3 model.

If Ken looked at her in a paper is that ok?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    puddytat wrote: »
    Respect works both ways. The girls should be more careful about flashing the flesh when there are people of varying ages and genders around. A bit of consideration all round would be welcome. And a bit less of the effing and blinding from the young'uns would also be appreciated.

Flashing the flesh, as you put it, is a different issue. Are you saying that it's their fault that the poor men can't control their responses or show respect? That's dangerously close to stating they are 'asking for it'.

I agree about the swearing, but from everyone, not just young 'uns.
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,391
    Forum Member
    I agree with everything you said OP, and a fair few of us have been saying similar since Saturday. It's a shame we have been drowned out, really.
  • Options
    john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whether he's 16 or 60 a man will still enjoy looking at an attractive young lady.

C'est la vie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whether you're 16 or 60 you will still enjoy looking at an attractive young lady.

C'est la vie.

Spectacularly missing the point. Well done.
  • Options
    _Matt_Matt Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    You don't want to be perved at? Then dress appropriately.

Nonsense. You're blaming one person for the actions of another,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it was a 20 year old hunk looking at them they would be flirting and all over them. You don't want to be perved at? Then dress appropriately.

The answer is in my OP.

Dress appropriately? Does that also translate to 'Asking for it'? Dangerous, dangerous ground.
  • Options
    john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jancee wrote: »
    Spectacularly missing the point. Well done.
    An additional objectionable layer is added to this when it is an older person commenting or lusting after people young enough to be their sons/daughters - it's just inappropriate - even creepy.

Not really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really.

Your opinion reveals much about you.
  • Options
    Nicola32Nicola32 Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    To be fair, if a young woman with a good body walks around the house in her underwear a man is going to look.

It always amazes me when I see all these young girls on BB walking around so casually in thongs and skimpy underwear infront of a bunch of strangers.

I personally wouldn't dream of walking around in a thong infront of any man who wasn't my partner.:o:blush:
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alexander felt moved to comment on how inappropriate it was how the young girls were showing the amount of flesh that they obviously are.

I think he did this in support of Ken TBH, and I think all the more of him for doing so.

When on earth did we get to the stage where young very attractive girls parading around in next to nothing would be offended if people actually looked at them?
  • Options
    CheddarcakesCheddarcakes Posts: 3,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's only unnacceptable because he is an old fat codger. Just look at how Kirk Norcross behaved in the house or Sitch's gang.

Ageist double standards and total BS
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love to appreciate the female form from the perspective of an artist.

But unfortunately I have this thing called a penis which has ideas of its own.
  • Options
    di60di60 Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    It appears to me that it's ok for ANY man, at ANY age to leech, perv or peer at Chloe as long as its in the context of a lads mag and she's been paid shed loads of money for it.... she's naïve to think that it isn't going to have a knock on effect in the real world... Chloe's management will have already signed her up to the highest bidder
  • Options
    DiabolusDiabolus Posts: 1,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love to appreciate the female form from the perspective of an artist.

But unfortunately I have this thing called a penis which has ideas of its own.

As long as you don't paint them with it, it's all cool. :D
  • Options
    NorthWingNorthWing Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    men go in short shorts, and shirtless, and/or swimsuits, almost naked naturally and very little is said that they have to cover-up.

women, on the other hand, can't go shirtless because MEN are such uncontrollable beasts that they will definitely and immediately sexualize the woman, and ogle.

so.... "it's for the woman's good"...

oh, how i HATE this line-of-thought.
  • Options
    taffstartaffstar Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Nicola32 wrote: »
    To be fair, if a young woman with a good body walks around the house in her underwear a man is going to look.

It always amazes me when I see all these young girls on BB walking around so casually in thongs and skimpy underwear infront of a bunch of strangers.

I personally wouldn't dream of walking around in a thong infront of any man who wasn't my partner.:o:blush:

Hurrah. No car crash, no rubber necking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's only unnacceptable because he is an old fat codger. Just look at how Kirk Norcross behaved in the house or Sitch's gang.

Ageist double standards and total BS

Unacceptable for anyone, as I was at pains to make clear in my OP, but additionally objectionable when the person concerned is young enough to be your child.

And just to reiterate - it's in the title - admiration is okay, perving is NOT.
  • Options
    ThadThad Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    Ken looked at their asses, well so what. where exactly has the leering or perving been demonstrated? Was he beating himself off while looking or something?

This is just symptomatic of how ageist society is. You think just because you get older your not turned on by sexually attractive people? It's simple biology.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sutie wrote: »
    Alexander felt moved to comment on how inappropriate it was how the young girls were showing the amount of flesh that they obviously are.

I think he did this in support of Ken TBH, and I think all the more of him for doing so.

When on earth did we get to the stage where young very attractive girls parading around in next to nothing would be offended if people actually looked at them?

I do too. I think it's a shame what happened because one thing I was enjoying about this series was the developing relationship between Alex and Ken.

In my opinion Alexander had the best take on this, when he spoke of how talking things through about issues such as race with people like Ken is far more beneficial than allowing emotions to run riot.

You don't defeat inconsiderateness or ignorance by being inconsiderate and ignorant in response.

I agree with your last comment in that in this series we seem to have a weird clash between the notions of sexism and ageism.
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's exactly it. If a hunk was sneaking a peek you'd have Emma doing her giggly thing and "Showmance! Showmance coming!"
    And shows taken up with half dressed girlies: "He fancies you! "Nah!"... "He does, I've seen him looking at you.".... "Oooh!"
  • Options
    marsheymarshey Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your opinion reveals much about you.

As does yours!
  • Options
    Captain KipperCaptain Kipper Posts: 9,913
    Forum Member
    Flashing the flesh, as you put it, is a different issue. Are you saying that it's their fault that the poor men can't control their responses or show respect? That's dangerously close to stating they are 'asking for it'.

I agree about the swearing, but from everyone, not just young 'uns.

Then why do young women wear tight, or clothes that leave nothing to the imagination if they don't want to be looked at?

And who decides the difference between perving or admiring...is it dependant on how long you look at the woman?
  • Options
    taffstartaffstar Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Unacceptable for anyone, as I was at pains to make clear in my OP, but additionally objectionable when the person concerned is young enough to be your child.

And just to reiterate - it's in the title - admiration is okay, perving is NOT.

And who judges which is which