Options

EE - DTC is a plonker if he kills off Nick Cotton!

O-JO-J Posts: 18,866
Forum Member
✭✭
Wtf he is an original character, I'm not sure he has thought this through, I was hoping for Martin Fowler and Nick showdown.

Then there is Dotty,

there's still life in him yet.

Have they not learnt from there mistakes, they need to keep hold of the cast that made it all happen.

Angie, Den, Pete, Kathy, Arthur, all these people are still alive today.

That's not brave, its just dumb.

Comments

• Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. Let him go to return for the 35th
  • Options
    Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DTC doesn't care about the future all he cares about is getting high ratings. He wouldn't have killed Lucy and made Dean into a rapist if the ratings hadn't fallen so low that he needs extreme stupid storylines to get people to watch. Killing off Nick is a horrible idea in the long term but an amazing idea in the shorterm, just like the deaths of Pat and Den.
  • Options
    MutantXMutantX Posts: 1,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    DTC doesn't care about the future all he cares about is getting high ratings. He wouldn't have killed Lucy and made Dean into a rapist if the ratings hadn't fallen so low that he needs extreme stupid storylines to get people to watch. Killing off Nick is a horrible idea in the long term but an amazing idea in the shorterm, just like the deaths of Pat and Den.

I completely disagree. The description YOUVE gave is Kirkwood.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,290
    Forum Member
    Normally I agree BUT

It's rather fitting that Dot finds out that Nick killed Reg Cox 30 years ago.
    It's fitting that Nick will die in the 30th episodes and lets face it Dot won't be around much longer so I doubt a return for Nick would ever Happen.
    June kinda wanted it reading one of the articles.

John stated he most likely wouldn't return again so he knew from the start the end of Nick was coming.
  • Options
    computermastercomputermaster Posts: 4,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. Doesn't seem like his time yet. I think a lot of modern day viewers don't really get the character. He's never gonna be the type that has corny heart to hearts or really any redeeming features. He's more or less 100% evil.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    DTC has a passion for the show.
    He stated that Pat should have never died but that was down to Bryan Kirkwood.
    Again Den's death was under another producer and the reason he was killed off was because the Actor was being very naughty on a webcam.

Ratings didn't fall 'so low' the show declined yes but it's rated lower back in 2006 and 2007 for example.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MutantX wrote: »
    I completely disagree. The description YOUVE gave is Kirkwood.
    Same :)
  • Options
    VioletSummersVioletSummers Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just because Nick has been a character for 30 years does not mean he should be on the show forever. The character has gone round in circles - "I've changed ma!" Followed by deceit and ruin. John Altman seems to want this stint to be his last. Nasty Nick either needs a redemption arc or a death.
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    horrible character. funny how charlie and dot believed him on tonights episode. pathetic writing
  • Options
    Holmesc1Holmesc1 Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    Is nick cotton defo been killed off? Thought he had left in todays episode
  • Options
    Louise_HartLouise_Hart Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He should have been killed off years ago, DTC should be given a medal.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    I think the whole point of his return is so that he is killed off on screen, otherwise I doubt we'd have ever seen him again. Characters like Nick don't make old bones, in fact I'm surprised he's lived this long.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just because Nick has been a character for 30 years does not mean he should be on the show forever. The character has gone round in circles - "I've changed ma!" Followed by deceit and ruin. John Altman seems to want this stint to be his last. Nasty Nick either needs a redemption arc or a death.
    I agree,
    John Altman made it clear this will be his last stint. Might aswell kill nick off in an explosive episode that will help mark the 30th.
    hunter23 wrote: »
    horrible character. funny how charlie and dot believed him on tonights episode. pathetic writing
    Dot didn't believe him.
    She didn't want to give him anymore 'second' chances.
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benbenalen wrote: »
    Wtf he is an original character, I'm not sure he has thought this through, I was hoping for Martin Fowler and Nick showdown.

Then there is Dotty,

Have they not learnt from there mistakes, they need to keep hold of the cast that made it all happen.

I agree, especially as he has been so good in this stint. he doesnt need to be a permanent character he in works well coming in and out.

I dont think nick should be killed off while dot is alive
  • Options
    Forum Member
    vald wrote: »
    I think the whole point of his return is so that he is killed off on screen, otherwise I doubt we'd have ever seen him again. Characters like Nick don't make old bones, in fact I'm surprised he's lived this long.
    Exactly.
    I'd rather him have a huge exit on screen then a death off screen.
  • Options
    Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    If Nick wasn't an original character I would say kill him off but there are hardly any original characters left so it would be stupid to kill one.
  • Options
    Louise_HartLouise_Hart Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scorpio2 wrote: »
    If Nick wasn't an original character I would say kill him off but there are hardly any original characters left so it would be stupid to kill one.

Why???:confused:
  • Options
    GillT07GillT07 Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wtf he is an original character, I'm not sure he has thought this through,

In what way?
    The actor might not want to keep on returning to do the same thing. Nick hasn't changed so it would just be more of the same.
    Then there is Dotty,

Who could return without Nick being around.

Nick's been a druggie for years. How long can people go on abusing their bodies in that way with no consequences? He's also killed at least 3 people - should he not have to pay for that as well?

Why?

The actors are. Those are the names of the characters and they died. Maybe because the actors decided they wanted to leave.

No, it's sensible.
    Nick can't keep returning, stealing money, or blackmailing people for it, doing drugs, wrecking people's lives/killing them, making Dot's life a misery and getting away with it all.
    After a while it becomes boring, and the character, pathetic.

The actor might not have wanted to return at all, but was promised one last, good storyline. I know there have been actors, maybe not in EE, who've been asked to return simply to end a character's storyline or give them some kind of closure.
  • Options
    VioletSummersVioletSummers Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scorpio2 wrote: »

Why? Nick is a ridiculous, repetitive character who can only appear so many times doing the same old things. Why should the fact that he happened to be in the first episode guarantee John Altman a job for life?
  • Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    One day, all the original actors will be long gone.

What's the point in keeping someone around just because they have always been on the show? That's plain stupid. Ian Beale isn't the only reason we watch EastEnders. We can all do without Nick Cotton. Sharon Watts wasn't even on the show for 12 of the 30 years.

People just need to learn to move on.
  • Options
    Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    Why? Nick is a ridiculous, repetitive character who can only appear so many times doing the same old things. Why should the fact that he happened to be in the first episode guarantee John Altman a job for life?

It's hardly a job for life he has stated that he doesn't want to return again so would it not be better if he gets sent down for Reg's murder 30 years later?

I don't like the way Eastenders have handled the deaths of original & longterm character's in the past and just because its the 30th that doesn't mean that an original should die.
  • Options
    TiffaniTiffani Posts: 5,444
    Forum Member
    I don't think they should have Dot plotting to kill Nick cos that is totally out of character for her. She always stood by him, however evil he was, even when he killed her grandson. Why would she suddenly care about avenging Reg Cox's death from 30 years ago when she has forgiven him for Ashley, all the stuff against Mark, Eddie Royle's murder, him trying to poison her, the drug addiction and him murdering Eddie Royle and numerous other things.
  • Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nick might be an original character but if you tot up the time he's actually spent in the show it probably amounts to 3/4 years if that.

John Altman has strongly hinted that he doesn't want to keep coming and going forever and repeating the same storylines. That's fair enough.
  • Options
    Bingo_Bingo_ Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think it's a mistake to kill him. Firstly he's so irregular that I don't think doing so would really matter and be a waste of time.

Secondly, although storylines with 'Mar' have been a bit overdone now, if he's potentially going to have a son and Grandson on the square, possibly for years to come, the potential for future storylines exist and I don't see what good it would do to shut down that avenue.
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    I agree,
    John Altman made it clear this will be his last stint. Might aswell kill nick off in an explosive episode that will help mark the 30th.

Dot didn't believe him.
    She didn't want to give him anymore 'second' chances.

I meant when she took his side at the start of the show.