Options

last Tango in Halifax tonight BBC 1 at 9 pm.

Comments

• Options
    henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is derek jacobi acting at his best, where as "Vicious" is him acting at his worst.

Caroline and Gary having a past encounter? Now theres a thought and a complication...especially if it was an affair not known to his wife.! oops! It catches you up in the end!
  • Options
    ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was the first episode not to have a trailer for the next one, and the BBC media centre hasn't given any episode after episode three a listing, despite giving very detailed synopsis' of the first three episodes.

I wonder if TV magazines etc may be restricted preview copies of the next episode?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WOW it's four years since I was on this site,

Just came back to say one thing really

LAST TANGO IN HALIFAX IS THE REASON WE BUY OUR TV LICENCES:) SUPERB
  • Options
    ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    tortoises wrote: »
    This episode actually made me quite angry. Not only has the show previously had a woman in a lesbian relationship have sex with a man in order to get pregnant; now, it seems, it has seen fit to kill her. Should things come to pass as expected, all we need is for the father/sperm donor to become embroiled in a custody battle, and for Caroline to go back to being straight and we'll have a full house of lesbian cliches. This show is like the last twenty years never happened.

Potentially killing off a pregnant woman the day after her wedding, including a 'gripping cliffhanger' at the end, is a cheap stunt more akin to an episode of Eastenders or Hollyoaks than a quality drama. I half expected to hear the iconic Eastenders closing 'Dum Dum Dum-dum-dum-du-dum' theme music before the end credits rolled.

Furthermore, the foreshadowing of early death throughout the episode (in particular during John's drunken conversation with Gillian) was so hackneyed that even one of Gillian's sheep would have seen it coming a mile off. And how long was that scene? I don't like drunks rambling on interminably at me whilst I'm sober in real-life, so I certainly don't need to have a real-time replay of a drunken bore's mutterings on screen.

Rather than nuanced storytelling, this particular arc is nothing but gratuitous melodrama designed to wring a stunning performance from Sarah Lancashire (who will, I'm sure, be wonderful). Little more than BAFTA-bait.

There's a whiff of 'The Emperors New Clothes' about this show, in my view. The excellent performances elevate the often tawdry and cliche ridden material beyond it's natural level.

It had completely the opposite effect on me.
    It has got to be one of my favourites series on TV at the moment. I love all the characters and the changing storylines.
    Can't wait to see what happens next week...
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last 10 minutes aside I thought last nights was the weakest episode yet, it really dragged in the middle part. Still, (for me anyway), its probably the best thing currently on TV.
  • Options
    zsazsazsazsazsazsazsazsa Posts: 667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Torch81 wrote: »
    The last 10 minutes aside I thought last nights was the weakest episode yet, it really dragged in the middle part. .

I thought it dragged on, very up and down.
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Torch81 wrote: »
    The last 10 minutes aside I thought last nights was the weakest episode yet, it really dragged in the middle part. Still, (for me anyway), its probably the best thing currently on TV.

Must admit it was a bit of a filler episode for me too
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tommo781 wrote: »
    I quite agree the acting is superb. My gripe, and I believe this goes for others too, is the script is not up to the standard of previous series. It is so cliched and predictable that I, for one, find it disappointing.

This series must have been overlapped with the last series of Scott & Bailey and the first series of Happy Valley … which may account for the descent into very soapy territory as that does tend to be Wainwright's default setting - look at At Home With The Braithwaites …?
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I enjoyed it.

As usual, I got completely wrapped up in it and the hour goes too quick!

Some parts were a bit slow, and when Caroline looked at her watch whilst working, I knew what was coming.

But, for a Sunday night, its great viewing and I for one cant wait for next week!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In interviews for the series it was the final three episodes that were hyped up as being the ones the production team were the most proud of.

I think the first two series both had stronger second halves and I have no doubt this will be the same. I remember rolling my eyes lots of times at the very first episode of the series (car chase etc) before the end of the series got me completely hooked.

The melodrama is just a framework for the ripples and responses.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great episode throughout, for me.

But I will be very disappointed if it turns out that either ( as a couple of posters have suggested ) John is responsible for Kate's accident or Caroline & Gary have history.

Either would be ridiculous and too far fetched and Eastenders-esque IMO.
  • Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This episode actually made me quite angry. Not only has the show previously had a woman in a lesbian relationship have sex with a man in order to get pregnant; now, it seems, it has seen fit to kill her. Should things come to pass as expected, all we need is for the father/sperm donor to become embroiled in a custody battle, and for Caroline to go back to being straight and we'll have a full house of lesbian cliches. This show is like the last twenty years never happened.

Potentially killing off a pregnant woman the day after her wedding, including a 'gripping cliffhanger' at the end, is a cheap stunt more akin to an episode of Eastenders or Hollyoaks than a quality drama. I half expected to hear the iconic Eastenders closing 'Dum Dum Dum-dum-dum-du-dum' theme music before the end credits rolled.

Furthermore, the foreshadowing of early death throughout the episode (in particular during John's drunken conversation with Gillian) was so hackneyed that even one of Gillian's sheep would have seen it coming a mile off. And how long was that scene? I don't like drunks rambling on interminably at me whilst I'm sober in real-life, so I certainly don't need to have a real-time replay of a drunken bore's mutterings on screen.

Rather than nuanced storytelling, this particular arc is nothing but gratuitous melodrama designed to wring a stunning performance from Sarah Lancashire (who will, I'm sure, be wonderful). Little more than BAFTA-bait.

There's a whiff of 'The Emperors New Clothes' about this show, in my view. The excellent performances elevate the often tawdry and cliche ridden material beyond it's natural level.

I agree with you entirely, tortoises. To off pregnant Kate the day after her wedding is the tropiest nonsense that could have been written for a lesbian couple. I was just waiting for the inevitable death scene when the fateful foreshadowing of a slammed door popped up on screen. Show the happy domestic couple, then kill it instantly. It's so ridiculous, and I'm saddened, because I thought Sally Wainwright and Red Productions were better than this. For a show that has jumped whales more than sharks, this is the one that has (to mix some animal metaphors) broke the camel's back.

The whole series is Eastenders with a better cast. I was watching the show last night with someone who hadn't seen it and was trying to explain the backgrounds of each character (Gillian, who has lost her job, is sleeping with Caroline's ex-husband, whose drunken ex-girlfriend recently miscarried, is the grandmother of the child her son had with the girl whose grandad crashed a boat, and has a millionaire half-brother they've only just met, whose wife's dad is conveniently head of the Rivers Division forcing the mother of Gillian's granddaughter's grandad to sell all his assets - what; and that's only this series).

I much preferred Series 1, when the focus was on Celia and Alan, the two who were meant to be the heart of the show. Annoyingly, I do still like it, if only because Wainwright has an ear for naturalistic dialogue and the actors play their parts so supremely well under the absurd circumstances of their characters' narrative arcs.

I wouldn't be surprised if the last episode showed John writing at his bureau, showing the whole series as a fictional re-enactment of his terrible family saga.
  • Options
    pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    I loved every minute of it. I didn't find it dragging. Just the opposite in fact. When they were all having fun at gillians while Caroline was waiting for kate my heart was in my mouth. The only niggle was Gilliam agreeing to marry her former brother in law. I dont like him and like gillian with John a lot better. I still wouldn't rule out something happening between Gillian and Caroline.
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm fascinated by the repeated comparisons to EE as opposed to other soaps.

Brilliant show, great cast, great dialogue.
  • Options
    Tommo781Tommo781 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pie-eyed wrote: »
    I loved every minute of it. I didn't find it dragging. Just the opposite in fact. When they were all having fun at gillians while Caroline was waiting for kate my heart was in my mouth. The only niggle was Gilliam agreeing to marry her former brother in law. I dont like him and like gillian with John a lot better. I still wouldn't rule out something happening between Gillian and Caroline.

BIB. Now that would be stretching belief too far!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shevk wrote: »
    This was the first episode not to have a trailer for the next one, and the BBC media centre hasn't given any episode after episode three a listing, despite giving very detailed synopsis' of the first three episodes.

I wonder if TV magazines etc may be restricted preview copies of the next episode?

It is interesting about BBC media centre not giving a synopsis of the next episode.

Now, I understand fully that some people don't want any spoilers in advance. Those people wouldn't go to the media centre though, would they! Personally I don't mind if I know or don't know. But the media centre regularly gives the synopsis for programmes in advance. To stop doing so for Last Tango makes me think the BBC thinks it is more important than it is. After all, it is a TV show, not a matter of national security.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for the link.:o
  • Options
    VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I pretty much agree with everything you say.

I think the writing is pretty good except that far too much drama is being packed into each character's life in far too short a space of time.

It's very easy to imagine some highly effective comic parodies of the way this is now being written.

Still worth watching for what's undeniably good about it but now a very flawed whole.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone on this thread really does not want to know what has happened before the next episode airs DO NOT read the tele mags. I just bought Whats On Tv, and it says exactly what has happened.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A curveball and a half!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shevk wrote: »
    A curveball and a half!!

Sorry, what is?
  • Options
    tortoisestortoises Posts: 657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, what is?
    Seriously, DO NOT click this unless you want to be completely spoiled for the next episode.
    tumblr_ni4ay27eDd1rd3fz2o1_1280.jpg
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could the long lost son offer support to Kate?
  • Options
    Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have looked at the spoiler & all I'm going to say is if that does happen it sounds way ott.