Options

Cat banned from Tesco by H & S officials

bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A harmless and well loved cat has been banned from a Tesco store, after 4 years, amid health and safety concerns. Mango is much loved by staff and customers, and spent much of his time curled up asleep in the lobby, or amongst stock. Now, cruel and heartless health and safety obsessives have ordered that he be put outside in the cold and wet.

link
Now after four years of peacefully living in the store, Mango has been moved outside after being labelled a health and safety risk, customers are claiming.

Shopper Jennifer Keen saw Mango being 'ejected' after a member of staff picked him up and took him outside in the rain.

She says Tesco bosses set up a plastic kennel nearby to stop him interfering with store visitors and have told staff to remove him each time he enters the store.

A Mirror poll yesterday showed 89% of readers were in favour of the shop keeping Mango as a pet.

He's not interfering. They love him :cry:
But a company spokesperson denies removing the cat due to health and safety fears - insisting that the £60 kennel is just to make him more comfortable.

Oh, backpeddling now are we, you cold hearted brute :kitty:
Mango has become so well loved he has his own dedicated Facebook page, which was set up by an unknown customer to give his fans an outlet to share their love.

Pictures posted on the page show Mango curled up amongst barbecue coals, hiding in cardboard boxes and playing with children

A well loved cat booted out of his 2nd home to satisfy health and safety loons ^_^

Comments

• Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah funny how after FOUR YEARS with absolutely no problem what-so-ever, and no complaints from anyone, it suddenly becomes a "elf n safety" issue!

The elf n safety bods are really, (as per usual), trying to justify their own existence.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    you either allow animals [excluding service dogs] into food outlets or you don`t, i vote for don`t. if the cat is that well loved and worried over why hasn`t someone taken him in?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you either allow animals [excluding service dogs] into food outlets or you don`t, i vote for don`t. if the cat is that well loved and worried over why hasn`t someone taken him in?

He goes there everyday to visit and hang out. :)

"Despite Mango's near-constant presence at the store he has an owner and a home of his own just a stone's throw away. "
  • Options
    Forum Member
    artnada wrote: »
    He goes there everyday to visit and hang out. :)

"Despite Mango's near-constant presence at the store he has an owner and a home of his own just a stone's throw away. "

that`s what you get for replying without looking at the link.:blush:
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like how the mirror published that story even after being told it was complete bullshit based on someone seeing something and then jumping to conclusions
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,294
    Forum Member
    Cats clean themselves. Unlike a few people who i see in the shop i work at.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i work in a shop. a cat like mango would brighten up my day. :D
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm feline this is unfair. I would love pussy in my supermarket. The polish checkout girls won't talk to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    He will always be there, the porch bit is very open, no way to stop him. I use this supermarket, I love that Mango has become famous.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tesco stores don't have a 'lobby'

Cats are quite capable of living outdoors and if anyone is that worried I'm sure it can be given a home with a family to look after it, a supermarket that sells food is not really the place for stray cats or any feral animals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i wonder how many in favour of cats in shops would change their tune if they got their shopping home to find it stinking of cat piss. or poo in the potatoes. :p:o:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Tesco stores don't have a 'lobby'
    Maybe they call it a lobby in that particular store.
    Cats are quite capable of living outdoors and if anyone is that worried I'm sure it can be given a home with a family to look after it
    It has a a home very close by. It likes to visit people at the store. It's a people cat obviously.

And the "dirty stray" bit you edited out......I'd bet my bottom dollar it's ass is a lot cleaner than some of the people's hands that maul the food in that store. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The lobby is a big covered bit before the actual doors, bit like what the trolley park areas look like. They store outdoor products in it, I have never seen food there and have never seen Mango roaming actually inside the store. Fuss over nothing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fiona.M wrote: »
    The lobby is a big covered bit before the actual doors, bit like what the trolley park areas look like. They store outdoor products in it, I have never seen food there and have never seen Mango roaming actually inside the store. Fuss over nothing.

there was a photo of a tabby cat in the aisles being petted by a shopper in the linked report earlier but it`s been removed now so i don`t know if it was a different cat somewhere else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just think you can't criticise a food store for keeping stray animals out, particularly as it is where everyone enters and exits, treads through and where people put bags of shopping down while people wait for taxis, or while a family member gets the car etc.

It is not an area you want cat piss or stray animals rolling around, it is meant to be a hygienic area not an area you want to encourage feral animals to be. Put an area for it elsewhere or give it a proper home, not a food supermarket.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He must be getting braver! He is only in the porch whenever I see him. However, that is about once a fortnight, so fair to say I can't account for his whereabouts all the time 😎
  • Options
    cdtaylor_natscdtaylor_nats Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why make a distinction for service dogs. Either animals in food shops are a health risk or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why make a distinction for service dogs. Either animals in food shops are a health risk or not.

because blind people need to shop too?

there`s a massive difference between a highly trained and harnessed guide dog and next door`s poodle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The need to make 'reasonable adjustments' under the Disability Discrimination Act. It's a special case that doesn't apply to any old feral that wants to walk around a food supermarket.

Next this lot will be advocating putting saucers of milk out for the rats that have taken up home in the bakery aisle. I know people are cat lovers, but strays don't have a place in food shops, sorry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He is not a stray!!! Aaaaaaarrgghhhh!!! I have remembered why forums irritate me *flounces off*
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Next this lot will be advocating putting saucers of milk out for the rats that have taken up home in the bakery aisle.

If rats in the bakery aisle are a problem, perhaps it would make sense to introduce some sort of predator of rats to keep their numbers down?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    If rats in the bakery aisle are a problem, perhaps it would make sense to introduce some sort of predator of rats to keep their numbers down?
    Touché :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TerraCanis wrote: »

.. or a professional weekly pest control service, rather than inviting more animals in to kill small animals and leave then rotting in the store.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How would blind people be able to get round supermarkets/shops if their guide dogs weren't allowed in? Blind people would starve if this started happening.