Options

last Tango in Halifax tonight BBC 1 at 9 pm.

Comments

• Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You look just like him. You've got his chin. :D
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A good episode so far. All about the acting.
  • Options
    TallywackerTallywacker Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To quote Alan Sugar, that was a load of old tut.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The nanny is a bit of a nutter. Gary is turning into a psycho.
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My wife really does watch some rubbish, that couldn't have been soapier if they'd stuck an Imperial Leather sticker on it.
  • Options
    lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I clung to the hope that Kate was alive when I saw her name credited in this and the next episode but obviously only in Caroline's head.
    I know Caroline is a tough cookie but I would have expected a lot more grief.
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't expecting any joy but Kate coming back every few minutes to detail what she'd allow was dreary, depressing and without the slightest point to it. I was glad when it was over. :(
  • Options
    ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me that was excellent. Stayed away from being twee, no extended eulogies or sentimental speeches. They left Caroline's grief to shine through in the things that were unsaid rather than the things said.

Tour de force performance from Lancashire. The performance was there in her eyes and the breaking of her voice, throughout. She didn't say anything but you could see the character's thoughts when talking to the baby's dad, and when Alan and Gillian started talking about their marriages.

I know a lot of people were ridiculing Kate's role in the episode, but I thought it worked well. Very clever that Caroline never made eye contact with Kate when they were 'talking', almost works as a monologue.

Some nice scenes for Celia and William. Lawrence obviously has inherited his dad's propensity for being a complete ******* ☺ The smoking scene was great.
  • Options
    ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The nanny is a bit of a nutter. Gary is turning into a psycho.

Downton Abbey's Ivy the Kitchen maid. Time travelling 80 years into the future sends anyone mad 😊
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shevk wrote: »
    For me that was excellent. Stayed away from being twee, no extended eulogies or sentimental speeches. They left Caroline's grief to shine through in the things that were unsaid rather than the things said.

Tour de force performance from Lancashire. The performance was there in her eyes and the breaking of her voice, throughout. She didn't say anything but you could see the character's thoughts when talking to the baby's dad, and when Alan and Gillian started talking about their marriages.

I know a lot of people were ridiculing Kate's role in the episode, but I thought it worked well. Very clever that Caroline never made eye contact with Kate when they were 'talking', almost works as a monologue.

Some nice scenes for Celia and William. Lawrence obviously has inherited his dad's propensity for being a complete ******* ☺ The smoking scene was great.

Excellent summary. It's melodrama but well acted melodrama.
  • Options
    jlighthijlighthi Posts: 1,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just terrific tv. Beautifully made as usual
  • Options
    Sandgrounder1Sandgrounder1 Posts: 753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked how the new nanny had an umbrella over her arm as an allusion to Mary Poppins, a deft touch in another excellent episode. Of course it's soapy and melodramatic but so beautifully acted by all concerned.
  • Options
    adrieldantasadrieldantas Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    I liked how the new nanny had an umbrella over her arm as an allusion to Mary Poppins.

I also realized that, it was so cute and funny.

I liked the episode, it was very intense. Great acting whit great storyline.
    Can't wait for the next episode. Specially to know about Gary and the "thing" (maybe drugs?).
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really is now like some miserable soep opera. A shame as the first series was excellent, they should have left it there.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The "nanny" is already irritating, & shes only been on 2 mins.!!
  • Options
    jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    What was the point of ghost Kate? She was more dull than real-life Kate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    Someone get Sarah Lancashire on screen with Olivia Colman please.
  • Options
    tortoisestortoises Posts: 657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joshua91 wrote: »
    Someone get Sarah Lancashire on screen with Olivia Colman please.
    Now Kate's popped her cloggs, there's a vacancy for a new love interest for Caroline in Series 4. They could make it into a comedy - Ghost!Kate and Celia join forces to scupper Caroline's romantic overtures to Olivia Coleman.
  • Options
    Tommo781Tommo781 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid I think the whole series has lost what it was originally about. Celia & Alan. Not enough of them in it nowadays. The focus has completely shifted.

The snippet about next week's show at the end of last night's episode also gave enough away to realise that so much could never possibly happen to so few people.
  • Options
    MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was the point of ghost Kate? She was more dull than real-life Kate.

I thought they were her best scenes of the series :)

I've said it before, but somehow I've never found their relationship believable - for some reason - personally I just think the two actresses didn't quite click, there was something cold about it to me. Even Kate's real life scenes seemed to have a ghost like element to them.
  • Options
    Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why wouldn't the biological father of the baby show up to pay their respects to Kate. After all he was an old friend not someone from a sperm bank and recently bereaved people do talk to their dead partners.

Gary. What is he up to? I like the suggestion he needs a kidney or other blood relative donation.

From the teaser we learnt that the new nanny doesn't last long and the biological father is called in.

I'm still unsure how the Gillian & Robbie situation will go.

Has season 4 been commissioned?
  • Options
    jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Odd that Greg just happens to have the time to look after the baby. Wouldn't Caroline be entitled to some sort of paternity leave for a few months anyway?

Gillian wasn't overjoyed about marrying Robbie but hey when is she ever happy about anything.

I also felt that Kate/Caroline never clicked. Kate seemed far too pathetic and submissive for my money and not a genuine person.
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Odd that Greg just happens to have the time to look after the baby. Wouldn't Caroline be entitled to some sort of paternity leave for a few months anyway?

Gillian wasn't overjoyed about marrying Robbie but hey when is she ever happy about anything.

I also felt that Kate/Caroline never clicked. Kate seemed far too pathetic and submissive for my money and not a genuine person.
    Greg said he worked for himself and could set his own hours I think. Caroline might be entitled to maternity leave but doesn't want to take it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it-Caroline's grief was palpable but not overdone. And 'talking to Kate'-many people do.
    Liked the nanny/Mary Poppins reference! Noticed it too.
    The baby's dad turning up-perfectly natural. I do hope he doesn't try to file for custody though.
    Lawrence is a right pain-but it's so well done. Typical teenager, self centred, critical of everything his mum does. Really well played.
    Gary-I wondered if he suffers from mental Health issues. Have gone from thinking' what's he after?' To 'he's ok', to 'something is seriously up!'
    Gillian and Caroline's relationship is so good. They are there for each other but still manage to annoy the pants of each other too!
    Overall enjoyable and am looking forward to next two episodes.
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The acting is still as good as ever - especially from Anne Reid and Sarah Lancashire but the plot has become predictably soapish - death of a lezzer, baby rescued from a dying womb, feckless sperm-donor becomes all daddy-waddy at the sight of ickle baby flesh and is available for baby care duties just like that even though he lives in another part of the country relocating wouldn't be a problem. New nanny is from Disney central casting and from next week's preview a potential child snatcher / loser to boot :o Of course, the millionaire long lost son is becoming all psycho, the shag-a-passing-stranger daughter is going to marry the brother of the hubby she slaughtered in cold blood, the teenage son is a stereotypical teenage son, the ex-husband has a double doctorate in being a waste of space ...

It's clearly heading for another series because:
    Emotionally incontinent Gillian won't be able to stop herself telling her new husband she murdered his brother.
    Gary is going to be a right one lol.
    Will Caroline fine true love? Will Flora margarine's bio-dad fight her for custody?
    The teenage parents living at the farm with Gillian (can't remember their names) are bound to fall apart and have to be put back together again.
    Maybe spectral Kate can help Caroline to solve murder mysteries in Halifax, Hebden Bridge, Todmorden, Harrogate, places like that? Or maybe that's a whole new series :D