Options

Actors who have passed away whilst still part of the cast

actual_soapactual_soap Posts: 5,378
Forum Member
Anne Kirkbride's sudden death has got me thinking of how many other actors have died whilst still being a member of their shows cast.
Coronation Street must have the most, so far I can think of
Anne Kirkbride
Maggie Jones
Bernard Youens
Patricia Cutts
Arthur Leslie
Betty Driver
Jack Howarth
Peter Dudley

Others are
Emmerdale
Stan Richards
Richard Thorpe
Clive Hornby
Arthur Pentelow
Toke Townley

Brookside
Gladys Ambrose
Annette Collins (not sure of actress)

Comments

• Options
    dashyork42dashyork42 Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Graham Haberfield who played Jerry Booth on Coronation Street. He died of a heart attack in 1975. His final two episodes were still shown at his family's request.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arthur Leslie who played Jack Walker in Coronation Street.
  • Options
    absalomabsalomabsalomabsalom Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moyra DeGroot (sp?) played Des's mum / Daphne's mother in law on Neighbours. Died very early into the series run.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Violet Carson had effectively left the cast when she died, she left in April 1980 and died 3 and a half years later on Boxing Day 1983. Ena's exit was never meant to be permanent but ill health and age meant she decided not to return.

Unlike Albert Tatlock, Stan Ogden and Betty Williams, Ena's death was never mentioned on screen, although Ken has mentioned in 2 "straight to video specials" that she has passed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Big Ron eastenders
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arthur Leslie who played Jack Walker in Coronation Street.

I included this before the OP was re-edited from Jack Leslie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An actress in Holby City died after falling off a balcony. She was 22. Think they explained it on screen by saying she'd won the lottery and emigrated to Australia
  • Options
    cmorriscmorris Posts: 6,157
    Forum Member
    Laura Sadler
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An actress in Holby City died after falling off a balcony. She was 22. Think they explained it on screen by saying she'd won the lottery and emigrated to Australia
    Yes very sad story that. Laura Sadler's mum came up with the exit story herself.
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Violet Carson had effectively left the cast when she died, she left in April 1980 and died 3 and a half years later on Boxing Day 1983. Ena's exit was never meant to be permanent but ill health and age meant she decided not to return.

Unlike Albert Tatlock, Stan Ogden and Betty Williams, Ena's death was never mentioned on screen, although Ken has mentioned in 2 "straight to video specials" that she has passed.

Violet Carson was due to return to Corrie in 1983......
    Violet had not been in the best of health for years, and had at times seemed somewhat disenchanted with the character of Ena, but I remember reading a newspaper article c. 1983, headed I'll Be Back, Vows Ena, complete with a lovely photograph of Vi at home in Blackpool, revealing her determination to don that famous hairnet again.

http://80sactual.blogspot.co.uk/2009_02_01_archive.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes very sad story that. Laura Sadler's mum came up with the exit story herself.

I vaguely remember watching it. A nice ending on screen but such a sad thing to happen to someone so young
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markjuk wrote: »
    Violet Carson was due to return to Corrie in 1983......

http://80sactual.blogspot.co.uk/2009_02_01_archive.html
    Yes but she wasn't really part of the cast by that point not after a 3 year gap. I would love to have seen Ena return though even if it was just for a proper exit story but I guess ill health and age meant it was impossible :(
  • Options
    marclamarcla Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brookside
    Doreen sloane (Annabelle Collins).
    Eastenders
    Mike Reid (Frank Butcher)
    Ron Tarr (Big Ron)
  • Options
    jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eastenders- John Bardon
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonjons wrote: »
    Eastenders- John Bardon

great minds think alike - was just coming to post that he had passed away - I think Dot still goes to visit Jim in the nursing home too
  • Options
    bluejumperbluejumper Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Toke Townley.... I remember the announcement made after Emerdale farm when he died... Then a few weeks later the character died and I sobbed all through the funeral... My dad said "if you can't be quiet get out the room" I must have been about 7/8 and being a farming family we loved Emerald Farm...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I included this before the OP was re-edited from Jack Leslie.

Yeah sorry, got the character and actor name mixed up!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jonjons wrote: »
    Eastenders- John Bardon

He'd left already, though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    marcla wrote: »
    Brookside
    Eastenders
    Ron Tarr (Big Ron)

Mike Reid had left a long time before he died
  • Options
    a01020304a01020304 Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    percy sugdon and Phyllis Pearce both died but they were never mentioned again, they just vanished without a trace
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    I'm sure David Scarboro who played the first Mark Fowler was still in EastEnders when he decided to end his life.
  • Options
    gentleguygentleguy Posts: 16,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure David Scarboro who played the first Mark Fowler was still in EastEnders when he decided to end his life.

From what I've heard he had left by the time he died
  • Options
    DippitDippit Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a01020304 wrote: »
    percy sugdon and Phyllis Pearce both died but they were never mentioned again, they just vanished without a trace

Actually Percy moved away in 1997 as he grew sick of the Battersbys disrupting the street. The actor didn't die until three years later.

But yes Phylis was never mentioned again aside from a reference by Des saying that Phylis was doing well.
  • Options
    VIP101VIP101 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marcla wrote: »
    Brookside
    Eastenders
    Ron Tarr (Big Ron)

I don't think you understand re question. Mike Reid had left long before he died.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,306
    Forum Member
    gentleguy wrote: »
    From what I've heard he had left by the time he died

He had indeed left. His last appearance in the show was Xmas 85 i think and he died Spring 88.

ETA. I've just looked it up and was wrong - he last appeared Xmas 87 - funny i have no recollection of it - so i suppose technically he was still a mamber of the cast as he had been making guest appearances.