Options

Windows 10 - free for the first year

Comments

• Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    What new gaming features, Do you really think game producers will drop windows 7 and 8 in the next couple of years? I don't.

The one reason he dropped back to 7 was because some of his games was not working as well in 8.

Well I don't think developers will drop Windows 7/8 support, partly because I reckon most of the background code in 10 is the same.

I was more meaning for the Xbox app, which has built in DVR and also cross play with X1 users on some games.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This HoloLens looks interesting, maybe this is why they bought Minecraft?

Of course the lens will cost £1000+ :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Red Arrow wrote: »

Nice idea.
    But 3d glasses, people dont like wearing them
    Google Glass is on hold, not taken off, glasses look silly
    VR and this lens, nice idea but get rid of the lens and it'll get better take up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Satya Nadella just confirmed the press is going to get to play Minecraft on it after this briefing :o

Can't wait to read the feedback from the press.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A subscription model might not be so bad if they continue to allow one-off pricing, similar to how Office works.

But trying to make it the only option is just going to force more people into piracy (or OS X/Linux for those who won't break the law), so hopefully the rumors aren't true
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    A subscription model might not be so bad if they continue to allow one-off pricing, similar to how Office works.

But trying to make it the only option is just going to force more people into piracy (or OS X/Linux for those who won't break the law), so hopefully the rumors aren't true

The only rumors I've seen have been on this thread :p
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BanziBaby wrote: »
    True but like you say it would be a silly idea if suddenly after 1 year Windows pop up a message saying to continue using please subscribe.

I suspect that is exactly what will happen: if you want to use Windows 10 you will need to get an annual subscription, like Office 365.

Microsoft's business customers have seen this happen already. I manage the software for a small company with only 7 users, but our subscriptions to Office 365 and Dynamics CRM are £200/month.

I hope I'm wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    I suspect that is exactly what will happen: if you want to use Windows 10 you will need to get an annual subscription, like Office 365.

Microsoft's business customers have seen this happen already. I manage the software for a small company with only 7 users, but our subscriptions to Office 365 and Dynamics CRM are £200/month.

I hope I'm wrong.

That would be the most stupid move ever, the huge amount of negative feedback it would create would kill the trust in the company forever! There is just no way they would offer it for free for the first year (with the limited time frame designed to encourage people to upgrade sooner, great word of mouth for people to tell their friends that it's not Win 8), then force people to pay a subscription.

They may as has been suggested offer a subscription version after the first year, but that would probably include OneDrive/Office/Live etc. But that would be alongside the standard model people have been used to for decades.
  • Options
    shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this thread is the only place ive heard of a subscription model everywhere else says its free to upgrade for the first year after that you have to buy windows 10 as you usually would to upgrade
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,425
    Forum Member
    Have to say I was expecting a heavy discount if not a free upgrade path for Win8 users but the Win7 news was a bit of a surprise.

The way I'm reading it is that we will presumably get 12 months to redeem a product key, after which point the offer expires and anyone else would need to pay, but any existing keys will still be valid. If they were to make it a subscription model they would need to be making it a lot more clear.

Despite all this you just know there will still be plenty of people dragging their heels with XP by the time Windows 10 is released :p
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only rumors I've seen have been on this thread :p

Some news sites are mentioning that Windows is going to be "more like a service", and others are speculating on what will happen after the first year as far as updates etc are concerned

And the general idea of Windows and Office going subscription only has been around for years, long before MS actually made it a reality for Office
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it worth upgrading a Windows 7 machine? If it's like IOS and runs slow I don't fancy it. For example Windows XP on Windows 98 machines was not great.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hope I'm wrong.

They said so at the beginning, you have Office 365 and Office 2013, your choice. What do you think would happen if they said 'Oops, we actually meant the first year of W10 subscription is for free'? They can't be that suicidal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hope I'm wrong.

Well they tried that with MS Word for iPad but now it's free and only partly subscription.

If it's a sub after 1 year nobody will upgrade. The bloggers and media would advise everybody not to upgrade.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member

I hope I'm wrong.

I think (hope) you may be wrong. There were no hints at a subscription model anywhere in the presentation that I noticed. I understood it to mean that the upgrade would be free for one year. After that, upgrades would have to be paid for, as they are now.
    I can't see them using the subscription model for the OS. There would be little incentive, for home users especially, to upgrade.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is it worth upgrading a Windows 7 machine? If it's like IOS and runs slow I don't fancy it. For example Windows XP on Windows 98 machines was not great.

Yes, W10 will run even better as it will need less resources, just like W8.1.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I'm not bothered because I'll not be getting Windows 10 for ages yet.
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their is no subscription model for windows 10 or any plan to. Wow one fake post and everyone thinks it is real :)

the reason behind the free upgrade is to push more the people on to the same platform. They had a heck of a job moving people off Windows XP and next to impossible off Windows 7.

Windows 8 and upwards has the Microsoft store the sort of google play of windows if you like. They want to move more people on to this platform which will also be in windows 10. It allows them more people to access their apps / movie and games marketplace through this they up to sell more.

so we get windows free they get more customer to their store front. Works for me :)
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Well, I'm not bothered because I'll not be getting Windows 10 for ages yet.

Same here as I am happy with using Windows 7 on all of my machines, I skipped Tetris aka Windows 8, so really cannot see me changing OS just yet.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,428
    Forum Member
    s2k wrote: »
    Have to say I was expecting a heavy discount if not a free upgrade path for Win8 users but the Win7 news was a bit of a surprise.

The way I'm reading it is that we will presumably get 12 months to redeem a product key, after which point the offer expires and anyone else would need to pay, but any existing keys will still be valid. If they were to make it a subscription model they would need to be making it a lot more clear.

Despite all this you just know there will still be plenty of people dragging their heels with XP by the time Windows 10 is released :p

Yes, it came as a surprise to me too:

Windows 10 upgrade to be 'free' for one year
    Microsoft has announced that its next operating system will be offered as a free upgrade to owners of devices running Windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows Phone. The announcement marks a change in strategy to its previous policy of charging for major updates. The offer, which is limited to the OS's first year of release, may aid its adoption. That could help avoid a repeat of the relatively slow uptake of Windows 8.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30924022
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    Yes, W10 will run even better as it will need less resources, just like W8.1.

How did 7 machines handle updating to 8.1?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bluescope wrote: »
    Their is no subscription model for windows 10 or any plan to. Wow one fake post and everyone thinks it is real :)
    OK, maybe I am wrong, but you can be sure that MS would do this if they thought they could get away with it.

Large businesses already buy into a 3-year enterprise agreement, which gives them the number of licenses they need, as well as access to support and upgrades.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite obviously it helps them sell Windows 8 if there is "possible salvation round t'corner".
    :rolleyes:

I guess that also means 32bit support continues, useful considering, last I heard ,most Windows games are written in 32 bit (memory saving too?)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How did 7 machines handle updating to 8.1?

Trolling? All mine upgraded with no problems..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    Trolling? All mine upgraded with no problems..

The good news was that the upgrade from 7 to 8 was one of the best upgrade experiences I've seen.

The bad news is that MS then makes it complicated to do reinstalls. For example, I have upgraded PCs from 7 to 8 to 8.1, but then the refresh install options don't work as you installed with 8.0 media.

I hope MS give everyone a free Windows 10 product key which can be used to do a clean reinstall later if you want to.