Options

Count Arthur Strong TV sitcom?

Comments

• Options
    mychmosemychmose Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last night was the best of the two series so far. But the effeminate acting style of Rory Kinnear drives me absolutely mad.

I'll say it again, not only is the Michael character unnecessary, but is also one of the most irritating characters in a TV comedy I've ever seen. I absolutely cringe when he's in a scene.
  • Options
    newyorkcitygirlnewyorkcitygirl Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mychmose wrote: »
    Last night was the best of the two series so far. But the effeminate acting style of Rory Kinnear drives me absolutely mad.

I'll say it again, not only is the Michael character unnecessary, but is also one of the most irritating characters in a TV comedy I've ever seen. I absolutely cringe when he's in a scene.

He has been 10 times more annoying this series, he's become delusionally paranoid.
  • Options
    VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another excellent episode.

Generally strong acting from the cast and Rory Kinnear plays Michael to perfection.
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Vetinari wrote: »
    Another excellent episode.

Generally strong acting from the cast and Rory Kinnear plays Michael to perfection.

Michael is starting to morph into Michael McIntyre, I reckon. Loved last night's ep, best yet.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Last night's episode was very LOL.

The best bits for me was the walk to the planes, and Arthur walking with the parachute.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great episode.

Bit of trivia. Eileen was played by Sabina Franklyn, daughter of William the Schweppes voiceover man.

She was the girl with the rat in her handbag in Fawlty Towers.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I thought the funniest bit was the gangs running off. Don't know if that says much about the rest of the episode. I guess there were some funny lines in the plane.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Great episode.

Bit of trivia. Eileen was played by Sabina Franklyn, daughter of William the Schweppes voiceover man.

She was the girl with the rat in her handbag in Fawlty Towers.

She was also in 'Keep it in the Family'.
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    There has never been and will never be a sitcom that every thinks is funny

I chose my words carefully: 'by common agreement' doesn't mean 'everyone'. Fawlty Towers is commonly agreed to be funny and the Beatles commonly agreed to be great music. But I'm sure you'll find some people who don't like either.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't for the life of me understand why the BBC moved this to BBC One at such an hour - its obvious 8 pm material.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much better on radio. Very disappointed in the show.
  • Options
    TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael gets on my nerves, but the count makes me laugh, so I'll still keep watching.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Greenwich mean gang rockers vs urchins scene was hilarious. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good, well written episode.

Loved the Oliver inspired Urchins.
    Still not understanding why Delaney isn't using
    some of the excellent radio monlogues and plotlines.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Was the Count's ex-girlfriend's husband also meant to be the Bill Sikes-type character who appeared in the flashbacks?
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched episode two of the current series today, I have not yet seen episode one.

It was better than the dreadful series one, but in my opinion it seems to be a watered down version of the excellent radio shows.

I still think the radio shows are far superior and long may they last in my opinion, but I am not over the moon with the television version but did see potential and improvement in this second episode.

I showed it to my wife as I am trying to talk her into accompanying me to a live CAS show, but she doesn't like him at all. Not her type of humour.

I thought the plane scenes were good but could have been better. The idea was brilliant.

I will stick with it as I really love him on radio and hope either it improves further or I grow into it.

It's nice to see something different with no swearing or sex rammed down your throat. (no pun intended).
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    Was the Count's ex-girlfriend's husband also meant to be the Bill Sikes-type character who appeared in the flashbacks?

No, he was one of the boys from the local air base. Hence becoming a flying instructor years later.
  • Options
    johnythefoxjohnythefox Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched episode two of the current series today, I have not yet seen episode one.

It was better than the dreadful series one, but in my opinion it seems to be a watered down version of the excellent radio shows.

I still think the radio shows are far superior and long may they last in my opinion, but I am not over the moon with the television version but did see potential and improvement in this second episode.

I showed it to my wife as I am trying to talk her into accompanying me to a live CAS show, but she doesn't like him at all. Not her type of humour.

I thought the plane scenes were good but could have been better. The idea was brilliant.

I will stick with it as I really love him on radio and hope either it improves further or I grow into it.

It's nice to see something different with no swearing or sex rammed down your throat. (no pun intended).

Hehe!! you and me both Granny...but she's having none of it now after watching this!. I've even tried Audio CDs of the radio episodes on long car journeys, but to no avail..maybe just not a 'girl thing'

I don't think the TV series is that bad, certainly better than a lot of other sitcoms, but when you know that the radio episodes were so achingly funny, it's rather sad that it's not up to that standard. Also, when the ever reliable Lineham is co-writing, it's seems all the more depressing...especially when Mathews, his old writing partner, is involved with the excellent Toast of London.
  • Options
    CybesVybesCybesVybes Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    Hehe!! you and me both Granny...but she's having none of it now after watching this!. I've even tried Audio CDs of the radio episodes on long car journeys, but to no avail..maybe just not a 'girl thing' (*snip*)

Oi - I'm a girl and I think he's brilliant!

Not sure how I'd feel if someone was forcing him on me in confined spaces, though...
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit of trivia from last night's episode. Rory Kinnear (Michael), plays Frankenstein's monster in Sky's Penny Dreadful.

Here's a pic.

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/752-d2cafcc9a2d83041e707feeb1698b979.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    A bit of trivia from last night's episode. Rory Kinnear (Michael), plays Frankenstein's monster in Sky's Penny Dreadful.

Here's a pic.

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/752-d2cafcc9a2d83041e707feeb1698b979.jpg

I thought the mask looked like him.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed last night's episode. A few sniggers from me.

Michael wasn't as much of a wet mop as usual. Nice joke at the end with him and the sign.
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Hitler ate eggs" made me laugh out loud.

I can't fault anything in the episode. It's a really strong (pardon the pun) one, although the cherry on the cake would have been to see a debate between the Count and the other candidate.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't bother trying to compare and contrast with the radio series , its much easier to just watch the TV series on its own merits, which are considerable as it happens.

Speaking of Linehan, The Walshes will not be back.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    I thought the mask looked like him.
    Same here - at first I thought that was the joke. Loved the actual punchline to it, and as a fully paid up member of The Society Of Pedants that aspect of his character strikes a chord. :)

This really is a funny series, and fwiw it suits its Tuesday night after the news slot now. Brilliant so far.