Options

Mel & Sue

Comments

• Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blueju wrote: »
    I thought Margaret was a lot more relaxed than I thought she would be. The quick mention of her upcoming Sappho programme was only in passing...though she was the one who boldly did the Sue link to Sappho - not sure how many people would get the connection. Mel did very well in Sue's absence without someone to bounce off so it went ok.
    If that is doing well I'd hate to see how things are when they go badly. It was a dreadful mess. I agree Margaret coped well, but then I suspect she'd cope well with almost any kind of disaster.
  • Options
    BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    If that is doing well I'd hate to see how things are when they go badly. It was a dreadful mess. I agree Margaret coped well, but then I suspect she'd cope well with almost any kind of disaster.

I respect your opinion but why was it a dreadful mess ? Its a loosely structured show/light entertainment and personally in the circumstances, I thought Mel did fine on her own. Not easy thrown in the deep end through illness when youre part of a double act Im sure and worse when its live tv. Margaret Mountford (who was very warm to Mel as though she knew her) would not go on a show that had the prospect of being a "disaster" as wouldn't Nick Hewer.
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried watching this the other day.

They annoyed me beyond belief. They try too hard to be funny. And they're not.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,026
    Forum Member
    I caught yesterday's programme and what I saw was a mess....the cooking you'd think by now they'd sort out the noise of chopping things when someone is talking.

Ok Sue wasn't there but would it have been any different with her there?

How long did Mel take getting into the so called quiz and for laughs they had a bearded man in a dress. Then when they finally got round to having the quiz Mel tells the guests she has rush them!

This is the sort of thing I would have expected from T4, as for the comedy sketch at the end where Mel was being pampered...the studio audience didn't seem to know if to laugh or cry, a mess.

Alan Partridge could not have done worse.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    I caught yesterday's programme and what I saw was a mess....the cooking you'd think by now they'd sort out the noise of chopping things when someone is talking.

Ok Sue wasn't there but would it have been any different with her there?

How long did Mel take getting into the so called quiz and for laughs they had a bearded man in a dress. Then when they finally got round to having the quiz Mel tells the guests she has rush them!

This is the sort of thing I would have expected from T4, as for the comedy sketch at the end where Mel was being pampered...the studio audience didn't seem to know if to laugh or cry, a mess.

Alan Partridge could not have done worse.

I don't think the audience is there for the end sketch.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I genuinely loled when Sue said she was 'scissoring her cherry' the other day.

Half the audience were in stitches too, the other half were oblivious :D
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at today's cook, it's as if Dierdre Barlow hasn't left us!
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Sue, no me.
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the show looks alot calmer today , maybe first week nerves are over with , did anyone catch what channel Most haunted will be on ? I missed what she said
  • Options
    dafydddafydd Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    I've only watched this a couple of times when I was off sick.

Does anyone else get annoyed by the fact that Mel & Sue don't always stand left and right, like Ant & Dec? Their title sequence and all their publicity shots only makes sense if Mel is on the left.

On the show however they will randomly swap sides just from getting up to meet the guests.

As for the show itself, it all looks a bit shambolic and ill-prepared. Maybe that reflects the budget constraints of daytime nowadays, I don't know. It's the kind of thing they can smooth over with time, but if they've only got a 6 week run, I'm not sure.
  • Options
    SonOfPurpleSonOfPurple Posts: 2,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »
    the show looks alot calmer today , maybe first week nerves are over with , did anyone catch what channel Most haunted will be on ? I missed what she said

Really (Freeview 17) for the new Most Haunted...
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really (Freeview 17) for the new Most Haunted...

thankies :D
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heard Yvette Fielding was on today, is she still chasing after those non existent ghosties?
  • Options
    beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    I'm watching a day behind (ie, today I watched Mel's first solo excursion- so I've not seen Yvette Fielding. I hope they made pancakes!), and it's been amusing to see what a show designed for two looks like when there's only one.

It's good that they have gone down this route rather than, as mentioned, just getting some other rentapresenter like Christine Bleakley involved- although it would have been funny just to get some other random showbiz Sue as a 'replacement'.
    JamieHT wrote: »
    I don't think the audience is there for the end sketch.

I have a feeling that's probably there for if the show under-runs slightly, (there wasn't one on Wednesday, IIRC) so they probably don't put as much effort into it as they could, since it may not air- since yesterday's contained the same core joke ("Oh it's terrible Sue's ill now's my chance") as the opening monologue.
  • Options
    Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bring back the Test Card. It was a darn sight more interesting than this rubbish.
    I can't believe that they are actually being paid to behave worse than nursery school children.
  • Options
    toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I met sue once when I worked in a kitchen showroom about 14 years ago when light lunch was on.
    She sounds incredibly posh, even more than she does telly.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melon Sue, not bad. Not as good as Anton Dec and his friend.

Incidentally when Melon was off sick today her friend took over, what's her name?

Anton Dec has Pepe, Melon has...?
  • Options
    MaccaMacca Posts: 18,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Melon Sue, not bad. Not as good as Anton Dec and his friend.

Incidentally when Melon was off sick today her friend took over, what's her name?

Anton Dec has Pepe, Melon has...?

Pips?
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    The one wearing glasses needs to grow a beard to complete the look, it would suit her too.
  • Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not many shows at 4 PM can get away with so many mentions of penises and balls.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is car crash telly.

These two make Tim Lovejoy look good!...and that's saying something!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mikebuk wrote: »
    Not many shows at 4 PM can get away with so many mentions of penises and balls.

Yeah I'm surprised the studio audience is allowed to say the show is balls and the presenters are a couple of pri......
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they're really forcing the innuendo here. starting to get embarrassing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    toofast wrote: »
    This is car crash telly.

These two make Tim Lovejoy look good!...and that's saying something!

Adrian Chiles is free....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hunter23 wrote: »
    they're really forcing the innuendo here. starting to get embarrassing

Very cringing. The three Cambridge Floodlights graduates swapping little innuendo's like naughty school children. I feel so embarrassed for them, too.

I am wondering how some of this stuff get's past rehearsals!