Options

Corrie's Anthony Cotton: I'm proud to be part of the change.

attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
Forum Member
✭✭
Corrie's Anthony saying how he's helped bring equality to the street.

I thought that was what the Todd Grimshaw storyline was supposed to do?

http://www.soapsquawk.co.uk/news/corries-antony-cotton-im-proud-to-be-part-of-the-change.php#results

Comments

• Options
    Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Such an annoying character can't wait till he is axed.
  • Options
    CatmittensCatmittens Posts: 1,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't give a damn whether he's gay or not. He's just an atrocious actor. Cotton seems to have morphed into one of the "untouchables" and I'm not quite sure why.

And yes, Todd was Corrie's first regular gay character. That entire story with all its ins and outs back in 2004 was absolutely excellent telly. Such brilliant acting and writing. On the one hand you had such understated, nuanced performances between Sarah and Todd... and then completely OTT and camp scenes like Gail and Eileen's catfight on the cobbles. Happy days :D
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    It doesn't matter that he's a gay actor or character. He can't act. He's unlikely to leave of his own accord on his paycheque so if Corrie bosses read this please AXE HIM!!!
  • Options
    notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member
    Such an annoying character can't wait till he is axed.

Sadly i think you may have to wait quite some time!!!
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,242
    Forum Member
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »
    It doesn't matter that he's a gay actor or character. He can't act. He's unlikely to leave of his own accord on his paycheque so if Corrie bosses read this please AXE HIM!!!

Unfortunately, I don't think that the Corrie bosses do read these Forum's or they would know just how much he is loathed and despised. :(
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately, I don't think that the Corrie bosses do read these Forum's or they would know just how much he is loathed and despised. :(

I think you're right :(
  • Options
    KeibroKeibro Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Catmittens wrote: »
    I couldn't give a damn whether he's gay or not. He's just an atrocious actor. Cotton seems to have morphed into one of the "untouchables" and I'm not quite sure why.

And yes, Todd was Corrie's first regular gay character. That entire story with all its ins and outs back in 2004 was absolutely excellent telly. Such brilliant acting and writing. On the one hand you had such understated, nuanced performances between Sarah and Todd... and then completely OTT and camp scenes like Gail and Eileen's catfight on the cobbles. Happy days :D

I agree, it was a fabulous storyline.
    One that was well planned, executed and had such brilliant performances from Bruno Langley, Tina O Brien, Sue Cleaver and Helen Worth.

Back then Corrie was a well oiled machine. Although the Todd/Karl affair began in 2004, it was actually 2003 when Corrie aired it's first ever gay kiss which was a landmark moment for the Street. It wasn't like oh we better do a gay story either, it was all done in such an honest and sometimes brutal way, in terms of the pain Todd and Sarah went through.

The story was based on Daran Little's own coming out, so that made it even better.
    Also, you sympathised with Todd's predicament, but didn't condone the cheating aspect of it. At the time I was in a similar situation as Todd and Corrie really mirrored a a pivotal point in any gay person's life and brought into the living room, so I got to gauge my parents reactions to it. And surprisingly both parents were sympathetic to Todd but agreed he shouldn't be cheating on his pregnant girlfriend, which of course is correct.

When it all blew up, my god the episodes were gripping and emotionally draining. Who will ever forget that Coming Out scene between Todd and Sarah, to the confession of his affair with Karl to the devastation of Sarah's world imploding. Then, a real highlight in the camp doorstep brawl between Eileen and Gail, with fantastic dialogue and triggering one of the most entertaining Corrie rivalries in the past decade. Just a few months ago I remember Gail glaring at Eileen in the Rovers, after the latter had made some remark "Me and 'er have got history" History indeed.

When Sean arrived it didn't bother me. But it did bother me that he was written as an inoffensive, non sexual, funny gay who your Nan would love. Theres nothing wrong with that and true we've had some funny Corrie straight men, who are a bit camp. But I would have loved to see a more rounded gay character. Even when Sean did get storylines they were painful.

I mean, him and Violet having a baby, who he never mentions anymore. The love triangle with him Sundown and Michelle. He was ok with Marcus but they had very little onscreen chemistry. Cotton steals scenes that he's in I think, not by great acting but by his nature.

Going back to Todd, it saddens me that he's now written as a male Tracy Barlow these days. Quite undoing the great work that was done back in 2004. Even Tracy Barlow has her good sides....sometimes.
  • Options
    CPW4EVERCPW4EVER Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think he's just been lucky with who he knows behind the scenes on the show, mainly because Kieran Roberts is still there. When he was producer, he brought Sean back onto the show in 2004 following his brief appearance the previous year. Kieran left for a few years but has been executive producer since 2009 which might explain why Antony hasn't been axed since.

What baffles me is his contract. It's been reported that he's on a six figure salary but he really is just a background character who's wheeled out for his own story every few years. He's been on the show for 11 years now but if you read his character bio online, he hasn't exactly been involved in anything memorable since he arrived.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just when you thought he couldn't get even more up his own backside, there he goes again >:(
  • Options
    llgxllgx Posts: 1,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Change? Hardly.
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't give a damn whether he's gay or not.

that is exactly his point ten years ago it was a big deal and people did care if someone was gay and it definately was not something people wanted to watch at teatime with their kids.

times change and its not a big deal, shows like queer as folk and the soaps having regular gay characters helped push equality and the times forward.

whether you think he is a rubbish actor or not doesnt have any effect on gay people being accepted or not. I think he is ok I like Sean
  • Options
    LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's vile!! I was proper laughing at his 'acting' attempt in the crash lol. Why has he not being axed along with the equally vile Michelle.
  • Options
    jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hes like a fecken itch that you cant scratch
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Me me me Cotton.
  • Options
    Lewi26Lewi26 Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's such a bellend! He's so unbelievably arrogant. He even thinks this boring storyline with the vicar is the first time it's been done
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lewi26 wrote: »
    He's such a bellend! He's so unbelievably arrogant. He even thinks this boring storyline with the vicar is the first time it's been done

what other soaps have had a christian gay vicar?
  • Options
    unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keibro wrote: »
    I agree, it was a fabulous storyline.
    One that was well planned, executed and had such brilliant performances from Bruno Langley, Tina O Brien, Sue Cleaver and Helen Worth.

Back then Corrie was a well oiled machine. Although the Todd/Karl affair began in 2004, it was actually 2003 when Corrie aired it's first ever gay kiss which was a landmark moment for the Street. It wasn't like oh we better do a gay story either, it was all done in such an honest and sometimes brutal way, in terms of the pain Todd and Sarah went through.

The story was based on Daran Little's own coming out, so that made it even better.
    Also, you sympathised with Todd's predicament, but didn't condone the cheating aspect of it. At the time I was in a similar situation as Todd and Corrie really mirrored a a pivotal point in any gay person's life and brought into the living room, so I got to gauge my parents reactions to it. And surprisingly both parents were sympathetic to Todd but agreed he shouldn't be cheating on his pregnant girlfriend, which of course is correct.

When it all blew up, my god the episodes were gripping and emotionally draining. Who will ever forget that Coming Out scene between Todd and Sarah, to the confession of his affair with Karl to the devastation of Sarah's world imploding. Then, a real highlight in the camp doorstep brawl between Eileen and Gail, with fantastic dialogue and triggering one of the most entertaining Corrie rivalries in the past decade. Just a few months ago I remember Gail glaring at Eileen in the Rovers, after the latter had made some remark "Me and 'er have got history" History indeed.

When Sean arrived it didn't bother me. But it did bother me that he was written as an inoffensive, non sexual, funny gay who your Nan would love. Theres nothing wrong with that and true we've had some funny Corrie straight men, who are a bit camp. But I would have loved to see a more rounded gay character. Even when Sean did get storylines they were painful.

I mean, him and Violet having a baby, who he never mentions anymore. The love triangle with him Sundown and Michelle. He was ok with Marcus but they had very little onscreen chemistry. Cotton steals scenes that he's in I think, not by great acting but by his nature.

Going back to Todd, it saddens me that he's now written as a male Tracy Barlow these days. Quite undoing the great work that was done back in 2004. Even Tracy Barlow has her good sides....sometimes.

'And here come the rest of the village people' is hands down one of the best Corrie lines ever
  • Options
    KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Love this post :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soap-lea wrote: »
    what other soaps have had a christian gay vicar?

Hollyoaks had a gay Catholic priest who had a relationship with John Paul. There was a lesbian vicar in 90's soap Revelations too I think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very few soap bosses do. Not DS. They will, however join some friendlier ones. So do actors although most are banned from joining here because of the negativity.
  • Options
    srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    unclekevo wrote: »
    'And here come the rest of the village people' is hands down one of the best Corrie lines ever

It really is. That whole exchange was amazing, probably the best thing I've seen on Corrie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wyezed wrote: »
    Very few soap bosses do. Not DS. They will, however join some friendlier ones. So do actors although most are banned from joining here because of the negativity.

Jimmy from Emmerdale has been on here lol. I think he's brave!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CPW4EVER wrote: »
    Hollyoaks had a gay Catholic priest who had a relationship with John Paul. There was a lesbian vicar in 90's soap Revelations too I think.

ok well catholics and christians are different religions so he is right it is a first.

I have never heard of a soap called revelations
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ok well catholics and christians are different religions so he is right it is a first.

Catholics are christians. It's a different form.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Like Sorcha said, Catholics are Christians. They actually make up half of the world's Christian population. The vicar on Corrie obviously isn't Catholic or he'd be called a priest but it's in the same region.

Revelations was a late night 90's soap on ITV that was written by Russell T Davies of Queer As Folk and Doctor Who fame.