Options

The SNP would never be satisfied.

Comments

• Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,599
    Forum Member
    anndra_w wrote: »
    How do you require Scots to be behave? What do they have to do in order win your approval?

Think a lot of folk would like if the Scots sat at the back of the class with their heads down and be grateful that we were allowed a referendum.
    Aint going to happen though
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    A debate in Scotland would be appropriate

Which means ?

Full devolution to Scottish Parliament, Scotland controls everything while the Westminster controls foreign affairs, military and such.
  • Options
    KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    How do you require Scots to be behave? What do they have to do in order win your approval?

Having voted no all currently living Scots need to die off before we are allowed to talk about it again, as far as I can tell.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Daewos wrote: »
    Yeah how dare they not know their place. How dare a Scottish party put the interests of the Scots first. Oh wait a minute, the clue is in the name. :p
    We are all in the UK
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    Full devolution to Scottish Parliament, Scotland controls everything while the Westminster controls foreign affairs, military and such.

Haven't they been offered this ?
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are all in the UK

Not that I know of.
  • Options
    anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member
    We are all in the UK

Some less than others.

They are determined that it will never be offered or allowed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some less than others.

No. We are all equally in the UK. The Scottish parliament is divisive
  • Options
    anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member

I don't think it's divisive but it does mean Scots have a stronger sense of Scottish identity than British and likely it will lead to the eventual break of the political union. That'll strengthen the social union as a friendship of equals comes is allowed to form naturally. There's no need for division.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,599
    Forum Member

You want divisive? Did you see the UKIP deputy on QT? Now THAT is how you achieve division.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    You want divisive? Did you see the UKIP deputy on QT? Now THAT is how you achieve division.

He only told the truth.
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to chuckle at the naive attitude of some on these forums.

Some folks actually believed that after fighting for independence for nigh on 100 years, that the SNP were just going to give up the fight because of one vote?

Aye right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No. The SNP proposed that as an alternative selection on the referendum ballot paper.

They were prohibited from including it by Westminster.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I have to chuckle at the naive attitude of some on these forums.

Some folks actually believed that after fighting for independence for nigh on 100 years, that the SNP were just going to give up the fight because of one vote?

Aye right.

It's good they are trying to subvert democracy away from what the majority of what Scots wished for. I guess that's nationalists for you, as they see anyone who isn't with them as the enemy.
  • Options
    iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scots woman on bbc news when told they lost the referendum said they didnt

nick robinsons face was a picture

you lost decisively, have a wee dram and DEAL WITH IT

But when polls say the SNP could be on course to win 50 seats on May 7 you've got to start wondering did she have a point ?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's good they are trying to subvert democracy away from what the majority of what Scots wished for. I guess that's nationalists for you, as they see anyone who isn't with them as the enemy.

What a load of twaddle.

I don't recall the SNP ever mentioning that they're going down the UDI route against the wishes of the majority.

Although - maybe they should. At least that way, there would be some justification for your hyperbolic nonsense.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can hardly blame the SNP for pushing their luck...there's a real chance they could hold the balance of power for the whole of the UK come May.:D
  • Options
    DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    He only told the truth.

:D Well at least we now know your agenda.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Is Scotland going to be an independent country after the vote?

No, it isn't, so the democratic process has been respected. This doesn't stop people still campaigning and debating it, just like how we choose a government and then still moan about them and choose another one 5 years down the road.

Or did you think a vote for no was "no, and everyone has to shut up about it for 30 years"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    KidMoe wrote: »
    Is Scotland going to be an independent country after the vote?

No, it isn't, so the democratic process has been respected. This doesn't stop people still campaigning and debating it, just like how we choose a government and then still moan about them and choose another one 5 years down the road.

Or did you think a vote for no was "no, and everyone has to shut up about it for 30 years"?

It's not really a democratic campaign though is it. This is just a case of just keep voting until you get what you want, irrespective of what the majority believe. I suspect it's dead for at least a decade now, perhaps longer now the oil dream has faded from their plans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's not really a democratic campaign though is it. This is just a case of just keep voting until you get what you want, irrespective of what the majority believe. I suspect it's dead for at least a decade now, perhaps longer now the oil dream has faded from their plans.

Not really. Having another vote would simply allowing people to express their opinion about the same issue again. If we had another vote tomorrow, those people who think Scotland should remain in the UK can still vote that way. Like I said, there is a reason why we have general elections every 5 years instead of picking a government once and then putting up with them indefinitely. Opinions change, and people are free to argue their point despite being defeated on one particular day.

It would be undemocratic to say that another vote can't happen for x years preventing further votes if there is general public desire for one, and it's certainly incorrect to say that the SNP should just drop it having been defeated once.
  • Options
    davzerdavzer Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is this serious?

So when we have a general election this year that should be the result in perpetuity?

Do you understand the relationship between politics and popular opinion?

Just because a vote one day gives one result does not mean that a vote in the future will not deliver a different one.

And that is what will happen with this issue, from time to time there wil be a vote on independence until there is a Yes.

Some folk have a weird idea about democracy
  • Options
    davzerdavzer Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It really is.

If enough people want a vote, democracy kind of suggest that a vote should be had.
  • Options
    barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oil dream hasn't faded, there never was an oil dream except for in rantings of the unionist MPs/MSPs. We moved from 30% support for independence to 45% -- should be easier to get indy next try
  • Options
    Forum Member
    barky99 wrote: »
    Oil dream hasn't faded, there never was an oil dream except for in rantings of the unionist MPs/MSPs.

You're kidding right? It was all I ever heard both from the SNP and people here. In fact, it was probably most of what the case for independence was put forwards was all about was 'THE OIL'.

Strangely, it's all gone a bit quiet on this front since. I can't think why.