Options

Green Party Wants to Put the Queen in a council house - and so it begins!

MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
Forum Member
The Leader of the Green party has said in an interview in the Times they would put the Queen, Kate and Wills and the rest of the royal family into one of the new council houses they are proposing to build, confiscate £430m of the Queen's money, flog off Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle and abolish the monarchy.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2015-01-24/green-party-plans-to-ship-queen-into-council-house/

http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/554004/Queen-HOMELESS-Green-Party-council-house

Given their recent rise in the polls I knew it was only a matter of time before we started seeing these sorts of stories! Given the media onslaught on UKIP I do have some sympathy - albeit mixed with a little schadenfreude.:D

And there is plenty more to come.

Comments

• Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably this is in addition to taxing bankers' bonuses, sounds like all our economic worries are over, hurrah!

e2a : I don't care one way or the other about bankers but if you want to abolish the monarchy do it out of principle not for a one-off payment which probably is too good to be true...
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    The Leader of the Green party has said in an interview in the Times they would put the Queen, Kate and Wills and the rest of the royal family into one of the new council houses they are proposing to build, confiscate £430m of the Queen's money, flog off Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle and abolish the monarchy.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2015-01-24/green-party-plans-to-ship-queen-into-council-house/

http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/554004/Queen-HOMELESS-Green-Party-council-house

Given their recent rise in the polls I knew it was only a matter of time before we started seeing these sorts of stories! Given the media onslaught on UKIP I do have some sympathy - albeit mixed with a little schadenfreude.:D

And there is plenty more to come.

The Queen owns Balmoral and Sandringham and does not need to be re-housed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »
    The Queen owns Balmoral and Sandringham and does not need to be re-housed.

Ever heard of compulsory purchase orders?! The government can take anything off you if it wants to.

Of course its silly - the Queen is independently wealthy and worth billions.

The point is this story is now leading on LBC and other platforms as being Green policy - given we know how it works expect headines such as Evil Aussie Green wants to see Queen out on the streets and Prince George homeless by tomorrow!

Its a distraction of course from their planned policy of building loads of new council houses - rather than all these ridiculous bailouts, schemes and handouts for developers we have now which are wonderful for their shareholders and bad for young people needing housing as they just push up prices even more.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Greens take middle class left wing Guardian reader votes off Labour.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should move all the royals into Buckingham Palace and then use the rest as government owned premium resort destinations for wealthy foreign tourists. That'd generate millions for the taxpayer and also retain the royal family as an income generator and diplomatic tool. Win/win.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ever heard of compulsory purchase orders?! The government can take anything off you if it wants to.

Of course its silly - the Queen is independently wealthy and worth billions.

The point is this story is now leading on LBC and other platforms as being Green policy - given we know how it works expect headines such as Evil Aussie Green wants to see Queen out on the streets and Prince George homeless by tomorrow!

It certainly is a silly comment for any politician to make. It might have appeal for idealistic young students though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They should move all the royals into Buckingham Palace and then use the rest as government owned premium resort destinations for wealthy foreign tourists. That'd generate millions for the taxpayer and also retain the royal family as an income generator and diplomatic tool. Win/win.

The Queen owns Sandringham and that includes the home of William and Catherine Cambridge.
  • Options
    TomWhittonTomWhitton Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a bad thing??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, it's not council house, it's COUNCIL HOUSE - if you're an express reader anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Queen owns Sandringham and that includes the home of William and Catherine Cambridge.

It's all derived from taxpayer hand-outs and/or land grabs as a result of the Inclosures Acts. All of that property should eventually find its way back into income generation for the majority.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's all derived from taxpayer hand-outs and/or land grabs as a result of the Inclosures Acts. All of that property should eventually find its way back into income generation for the majority.

The rule of law was whatever the King or Queen wanted. Much of the land ownership in Britain is derived from land having been stolen from someone else and granted to someone who was in with the Monarchy at the right time.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,607
    Forum Member
    The Greens take middle class left wing Guardian reader votes off Labour.

And from the Lib Dems too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The rule of law was whatever the King or Queen wanted. Much of the land ownership in Britain is derived from land having been stolen from someone else and granted to someone who was in with the Monarchy at the right time.

And it's about time the Acts that enabled this were repealed and the land put back into ownership of the people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Sandringham is the much-loved country retreat of Her Majesty The Queen, and has been the private home of four generations of British monarchs since 1862. Her name is on the deeds. It's hers.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Greens just said I would vote for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sandringham is the much-loved country retreat of Her Majesty The Queen, and has been the private home of four generations of British monarchs since 1862. Her name is on the deeds. It's hers.

CPO it - and use it to provide housing to some of the 32,000 people on the council house waiting list in Norfolk?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-15199365

Vote Green - you know it makes sense!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A CPO would soon sort that out.

And what about my original idea? Don't you think that would be a net gain for the country?
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member

sounds like an excellent idea to me :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A CPO would soon sort that out.

And what about my original idea? Don't you think that would be a net gain for the country?

No I don't. Seizing other people's property does not appeal to me.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Property is theft.

If I were asked to answer the following question: What is slavery? and I should answer in one word, It is murder!, my meaning would be understood at once. No extended argument would be required to show that the power to remove a man's mind, will, and personality, is the power of life and death, and that it makes a man a slave. It is murder. Why, then, to this other question: What is property? may I not likewise answer, It is robbery!, without the certainty of being misunderstood; the second proposition being no other than a transformation of the first?
    —Pierre-Joseph Proudhon, What is Property?
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But it sets an important precedent, start with palaces, then move on to mansions, followed by 'really big houses' all the way through to the ultimate goal of 'Mavis next door who constantly reminds us that her house is bigger than ours and has a spare room that she never uses'. Then and only then, can we say 'job done'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

These things aren't written in blood, you know? The main reason she owns it is because she inherited loads of money and power. That's all.

She'll be dead in a few years, anyway.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    But it sets an important precedent, start with palaces, then move on to mansions, followed by 'really big houses' all the way through to the ultimate goal of 'Mavis next door who constantly reminds us that her house is bigger than ours and has a spare room that she never uses'. Then and only then, can we say 'job done'.

That's better than going the other way which is what the Coalition is doing.

Forcing people out of their council houses by stealth (such as the Bed room tax) or by wealth such as if they earn too much.

So that they are forced into either private accommodation (paying the rich) or having to buy a house and giving money to the banks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    TomWhitton wrote: »
    These things aren't written in blood, you know? The main reason she owns it is because she inherited loads of money and power. That's all.

She'll be dead in a few years, anyway.

When she dies it will be inherited.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Property is theft.

I bought me house and spent many years paying off my mortgage. My house belongs to me. I did not steal it.