Options

2015 - the year of OLED?

alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20150123PD205.html
"Samsung has managed to drop costs for OLED handset panels due to increasing yields but there is still an overall 10% cost difference between TFT LCD technology."

Maybe lack of sales of other panels mean mass sales of OLED will give them a competitive pitch?

Whatever, it does seem to seem to mean that many new phones will be OLED this year.

Comments

• Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    There will always be the uninformed "over saturated" claims from those unable to use the tech but without doubt the best possible screens are OLED, I have said this for a long while.
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »
    There will always be the uninformed "over saturated" claims from those unable to use the tech but without doubt the best possible screens are OLED, I have said this for a long while.

I think one of the main benefits of OLED is the reduced strain it places on the battery, black really is black. Thats not to say LCD doesn't have its place, I just think OLED is the better technology especially for smaller screens.

I think hell would freeze over before Apple would put OLED panels in their devices.
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have always been an oled fan and given a choice I would go for one. However I am not going to choose a phone just because it is oled.

It is a pity that Samsung can't sort out oled TVs as well so that there would be competition for LG. The LG oleds I have looked at are stunning and so much better than the LCDs that we have been lumbered with since plasma went away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aye Up wrote: »
    I think one of the main benefits of OLED is the reduced strain it places on the battery, black really is black. Thats not to say LCD doesn't have its place, I just think OLED is the better technology especially for smaller screens.

I think hell would freeze over before Apple would put OLED panels in their devices.

Too expensive for Apple to use, would hurt those profit margins, that and the difficulty in sourcing parts has been the issues.

As to never will, well it was not long ago they dismissed bigger screens as having too many "trade offs" for consumers. Seems these trade offs are no longer an issue when sales may be effected.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    ..The LG oleds I have looked at are stunning and so much better than the LCDs that we have been lumbered with since plasma went away.
    People loved Plasma for the same reason as OLED.

With phones fashion items, wide myths prevail.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me as a customer it is important that it works and looks good during the phone's lifetime, which is for me about 2 years minimum. Saves battery? Great. OLED or LCD? Not bothered.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good news if the price is coming down. Maybe it will help samsung recover some of those tumbling profits.

Considering the vast majority of phones sold are low end ones, I don't suppose it will make much differences to most.
  • Options
    Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    It is a pity that Samsung can't sort out oled TVs as well so that there would be competition for LG. The LG oleds I have looked at are stunning and so much better than the LCDs that we have been lumbered with since plasma went away.
    The irony about the TVs is that whilst Samsung's mobile division would have you believe that OLED panels are superior to LCDs (and the fact that the Note4 and Tab S have the, independently rated, best phone and tablet screens respectively would seem to back them up), their TV division would have you believe that they can make LCD panels that are every bit as good as OLED.

On the other hand, LG's TV division states that LCD can never match OLED, whilst their mobile division would have you believe that the LCD panels they use are every bit as good, if not better than the likes of Samsung's OLED phone panels.

Shameless all round.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the cost basis is for smartphone screens only,

The OLED need to be massive for the big screen so cost implications meant no one can afford them. LG will sell a few TVs but they would have been far better with an Apple sticker on it.

If Apple was using OLED I'm sure people would be flocking to buy superior OLED TVs, happily paying 2 or 3 grand a piece.

edit - just checking John Lewis and the 55" non 4K one is £2500. 4K OLED is about £6500 ! Guess my thread title should have been 'year of the OLED phablets'
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Each have their pros and cons, and its mostly down to personal preference, but there are references to OLED displays being over saturated in pretty much any objective comparison you care to mention.

I know you like to think that if someone expresses a preference then it must somehow be related to Apple, but that doesn't make it true.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the 'over' bit in 'saturation is media exaggeration. Also, the majority of us have cheap LCD screens so are happy to see more positives in non OLED tech.

Plasma has much similarity in saturation and it is well well loved.
    What people did not like with plasma was the much high wattage and lately lower resolution due to high build costs.

One thing we can agree about, at least here, and that is that higher cost does not always mean higher quality.
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    You can't compare a 40" LCD with a 4.7" LCD.
    The smaller one will be far far superior.
    Black levels, even back-lighting and motion blur are still a problem on large LCDs.
    Not so on small ones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Step666 wrote: »
    The irony about the TVs is that whilst Samsung's mobile division would have you believe that OLED panels are superior to LCDs (and the fact that the Note4 and Tab S have the, independently rated, best phone and tablet screens respectively would seem to back them up), their TV division would have you believe that they can make LCD panels that are every bit as good as OLED.

On the other hand, LG's TV division states that LCD can never match OLED, whilst their mobile division would have you believe that the LCD panels they use are every bit as good, if not better than the likes of Samsung's OLED phone panels.

Shameless all round.

TV,s are largely a separate issue because of the costs involved. Not sure any of that is actually correct but you will find however many companies spin their products. Some are more successful in this regard and many customers will believe anything they are told by some companies unfortunately.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TV,s are largely a separate issue because of the costs involved. Not sure any of that is actually correct but you will find however many companies spin their products. Some are more successful in this regard and many customers will believe anything they are told by some companies unfortunately.

Have to agree with you. The history of some posters believing everything they read is well documented on this forum.

Good to see you are back from your 'holiday' :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    ...The smaller one will be far far superior.....
    Black levels, even back-lighting and motion blur are still a problem on large LCDs.
    Not so on small ones.

That is a new spin. You simply can't improve on the 100% black of OLED, though cheap TVs have improved immensely on this matter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    Have to agree with you. The history of some posters believing everything they read is well documented on this forum.
    Good to see you are back from your 'holiday' :)

Well done a post without Samsung in it, you're evolving.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done a post without Samsung in it, you're evolving.

Did they give you a promotion during your holiday to moderator?

Do you have a problem with comments about Samsung?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    That is a new spin. You simply can't improve on the 100% black of OLED, though cheap TVs have improved immensely on this matter.

OLED are definately the best for black. Its blue they seem to struggle with, although top end OLED and LED screens are so good nowadays it is not that relevant to a purchase decision.
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TV's with VA Screens are the best for Blacks but aren't the best at keep color consistency across screen.
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »

I agree with you 100%. But I wasn't talking about OLED. I was simply saying that bringing Large screen TVs into the equation when comparing LCD performance is pointless.
    In fact even mid sized LCDs don't really have the motion issues.
    I don't see it on my old but expensive Sony IPS 17" (4:3) PC monitor but on my Dads new 40" Samsung it's still there, albeit only marginally.
    Not looking for an argument, it seems others here have just kicked off though. Hahahaha
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understood the point but things have still moved well forward with standard LCD on TVs.

I'm also wondering if this desire for thinness has likely made cheaper edge lit TVs popular, whilst back lighting, logically does sound much better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    Did they give you a promotion during your holiday to moderator?

Do you have a problem with comments about Samsung?

Why would I have a problem :confused: I just merely note your weird obsession with them, constantly commenting in every thread for no apparent reason, whilst constantly buying them, odd, but no worries ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would I have a problem :confused: I just merely note your weird obsession with them, constantly commenting in every thread for no apparent reason, whilst constantly buying them, odd, but no worries ;-)

I don't know why you have a problem, but it seems to upset you if someone mentions your beloved Samsung,

Good to see you peddling out the 'constantly buying them' line, does wonders for your credibility. Although in fairness, I expect I reflect most of Samsungs customers, two low cost phones in 3 years. No wonder their profits are tumbling.

Seems you didn't spend your holiday time reflecting on the quality of your posts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :D My beloved Samsung, oh dear what a telling insight into your playground mrntality. It seems nothing much has changed no input from you still.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyway for the sensible people a quick google does reveal far more OLED screens than I realised, seems it is the way forward for most manufacturers where they can.