Options

man with learning disability banned from legoland unless he has a child with him

Comments

• Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How on earth is someone with low self esteem, paranoia etc going to feel if they pluck up the courage to go somewhere, get out the house, then they get turned away at the door like some vile criminal.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people would less likely to judge if you are from a different race, if you are black or Indian.

Not understanding you, sorry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    it's their land, so they can decide who enters it, so long as they don't practise unlawful discrimination.

If they treat all unaccompanied adults the same, then I don't see how anyone is being unlawfully discriminated against. Except possibly adults generally, so there might be a case for age discrimination : presumably they allow unaccompanied children to enter.

I'm not convinced that what they are doing is legal, and for that reason I will be writing to my MP about it. At the very least, it will force a reply from legoland, to the MP, which he will then pass on to me.
  • Options
    Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »

Do you have learning difficulties?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that's been the case for a long time.

I remember a few years ago going for a walk along the canal towpath one Summer's day and passed a family, something like Mum and Dad, 3 young kids. From laughing and joking, they all descended into unsmiling total silence as the obviously weird single guy on his own passed by, whilst deliberately avoiding eye contact.

A few weeks later, I did the same walk with my then girlfriend, and met the same family (distinctly remember the guy with his ultra blonde hair, chubby face and glasses), and it was all smiles, "Hi, how are you, lovely day isn't it". I don't think they remembered me. Obviously I couldn't have been the same as some suspicious weirdo on his own.

I just shook my head in amazement. The suspicion of single people, especially men, is absolutely manifest and obvious.
    I think people would less likely to judge if you are from a different race, if you are black or Indian.

I understand the words of your reply, but not in context of the post of mine you quoted. Number one, how do you know what race I am, and No 2, why would my race make any difference to the reaction I described ?

No I don't have learning difficulties, but you have communication difficulties.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    I understand the words of your reply, but not in context of the post of mine you quoted. Number one, how do you know what race I am, and No 2, why it would it make any difference to the reaction ?

No I don't have learning difficulties, but you have communication difficulties.

If it's any help, I didn't understand it either.
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    I have just checked their site and they still allow you to buy a ticket for Legoland Discovery or an annual Merlin pass for an adult with no mention of the fact you would be refused entry.

That's the only part that might be illegal, since it's selling something that they would never honour, therefore it might be fraud.
    presumably they allow unaccompanied children to enter.

A previous post says that they say that under 18s must be accompanied by an adult, and no over 18s are allowed in without a child.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    he could be putting it on and be a child molester you can never be too careful
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tayorous wrote: »
    he could be putting it on and be a child molester you can never be too careful

Better brick the children up in their homes and put food through a special slot. It's the only true way we can keep them safe.
  • Options
    nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's their land, so they can decide who enters it, so long as they don't practise unlawful discrimination.

If they treat all unaccompanied adults the same, then I don't see how anyone is being unlawfully discriminated against. Except possibly adults generally, so there might be a case for age discrimination : presumably they allow unaccompanied children to enter.

Even if what they are doing is legal, it doesn't make it a fair or 'right' thing to do and they know this because as someone said earlier you really have to look hard on their website to find anything about this being their policy. If it is their policy and they genuinely believe that they are doing the right thing then it should be in big letters and in bold on their homepage to prevent unsuspecting singletons having the misleading impression that they and their hard earned cash, that they were intending to spend on a ticket, are welcome at their establishment. That way we can make an informed choice to go elsewhere rather than waste our time travelling to the place only to be told at the gate that because we are single and don't have children that we must be paedophiles.
  • Options
    Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    natalian wrote: »
    Even if what they are doing is legal, it doesn't make it a fair or 'right' thing to do and they know this because as someone said earlier you really have to look hard on their website to find anything about this being their policy. If it is their policy and they genuinely believe that they are doing the right thing then it should be in big letters and in bold on their homepage to prevent unsuspecting singletons having the misleading impression that they and their hard earned cash, that they were intending to spend on a ticket, are welcome at their establishment. That way we can make an informed choice to go elsewhere rather than waste our time travelling to the place only to be told at the gate that because we are single and don't have children that we must be paedophiles.
    http://www.legolanddiscoverycentre.co.uk/manchester/tickets-and-offers/ticket-prices.aspx

One click to get to the 'tickets and offers' page gives this...

"..We are a family attraction. Adults must be accompanied by a child. Please note:Visitors must purchase tickets before your visit day to benefit from online discount. Children under 3 yrs visit for free. Disabled guests are entitled to bring a carer free of charge to the Centre. Proof of disability will need to be shown at the Centre"

Where is the problem?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tess-g wrote: »
    http://www.legolanddiscoverycentre.co.uk/manchester/tickets-and-offers/ticket-prices.aspx

One click to get to the 'tickets and offers' page gives this...

"..We are a family attraction. Adults must be accompanied by a child. Please note:Visitors must purchase tickets before your visit day to benefit from online discount. Children under 3 yrs visit for free. Disabled guests are entitled to bring a carer free of charge to the Centre. Proof of disability will need to be shown at the Centre"

Where is the problem?

Because it is insulting. You are deemed not suitable to enter due to the fact you are childless. Now before we had children me and my OH used to visit many family attractions. To see if we enjoyed them and if we did we put them down as a place we could take our children when they came along.

There is nothing worse than taking a child somewhere and within 5 mins they want to go after you have spent a lot of money to get in.

Now you would not be able to do this here as you are deemed as a "Risk to childrens safety". IE perverts or Hindley and Brady.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Because it is insulting. You are deemed not suitable to enter due to the fact you are childless. Now before we had children me and my OH used to visit many family attractions. To see if we enjoyed them and if we did we put them down as a place we could take our children when they came along.

There is nothing worse than taking a child somewhere and within 5 mins they want to go after you have spent a lot of money to get in.

Now you would not be able to do this here as you are deemed as a "Risk to childrens safety". IE perverts or Hindley and Brady.

This is a child centered, indoor play centre.

Do you have Jumping Jacks or something similar? Would you be happy with unaccompanied adults being there?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member

If so then it's no legal and for you so get that out of your head
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tayorous wrote: »
    If so then it's no legal and for you so get that out of your head
    Oh joy.....one of our wums is back..............
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do you have Jumping Jacks or something similar? Would you be happy with unaccompanied adults being there?

No I suppose not but you can't tell whos unacompanied at our one because it's linked with a Bowling alley. They won't ban couples from there.

Whilst this lego discovery centre is a child play centre. There has to be some other things in there as a disabled person could hardly go to a soft play centre. This guy just wants to look at the models and play with them like any "7 year old" would.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    I'm not convinced that what they are doing is legal, and for that reason I will be writing to my MP about it. At the very least, it will force a reply from legoland, to the MP, which he will then pass on to me.

I'm not sure "Adult without a child" is a protected characteristic that would lead to some kind of discrimination process in law. Some places are for families and some places, like certain holiday parks and resorts, reserve the right to be for adults only.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Who the hell are they to decide lone adults are a risk to children and to decide a disabled person accompanied by a carer is a risk is bloody ridiculous. I am not saying it is not possible for a disabled person to be a threat but surely they can use common sense and it seems they have decided not to. One might ask why they sold him the pass if this is their policy and why do they sell passes for individuals.

I am of a mind to remove Legoland brochures from our racks in the hotels I don't really feel comfortable with giving a venue with such a policy any publicity.

It is on their website but it is well hidden if you do not click the more information button , which again begs the question why sell single adult tickets.

https://secure.merlinentertainmentsgroup.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=120606&catalogId=44551&storeId=24652&langId=-1

That's the Toronto one, it's on the front page of Manchester

http://www.legolanddiscoverycentre.co.uk/manchester/

'Adults must be accompanied by a child to enter'.
  • Options
    WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Legoland?? Like hell is it! Most of it is outside!
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    I'm not sure "Adult without a child" is a protected characteristic that would lead to some kind of discrimination process in law. Some places are for families and some places, like certain holiday parks and resorts, reserve the right to be for adults only.

Well selling tickets for single adults that they know they will refuse entry is fraud to start with , secondly the policy is offensive in the very way they have implemented it and tried to deal with it , being offensive may not be illegal but hopefully, it will lose them business.

So do you assume lone adults are a threat to children and would not be happy to see a lone adult near children ?

In addition to removing their promotional material from our hotels I have emailed Merlin to tell them why .
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It was not on the front page before the story broke
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,537
    Forum Member

However, it also says:

'Disabled guests are entitled to bring a carer free of charge to the Centre. Proof of disability will need to be shown at the Centre.'

and (in the "Common Questions"):

'Can children visit the Centre without an adult?
    Sorry, no. Everyone is welcome, but children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.'

Disabled guests they say, not disabled children. So the adult with a learning disablity, if accompanied by a carer and proof of disability, is entitled to enter.

And if they try to wriggle out of that one, as they seem to have done, the adult with a learning disability, if accompanied by a carer under 16, is entitled to enter.

They haven't thought it through properly, have they, and that will inevitably lead to further problems of this kind in the future. Hopefully the adverse publicity surounding this incident will prompt them to publish clearer and non-discriminatory guidelines - pronto.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,537
    Forum Member
    It was not on the front page before the story broke

It was added between March and June last year http://web.archive.org/web/20140208012816/http://www.legolanddiscoverycentre.co.uk/manchester/

http://web.archive.org/web/20140621200625/http://www.legolanddiscoverycentre.co.uk/manchester/

Which doesn't make it right, far from it, refusing people with a proof of disability and an adult carer is ill thought-out nonsense. They need to be tackled about it, not allowed to get away with platitudes masquerading as explanatory statements - there is still far too much of this kind of discrimination in Britain today.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,282
    Forum Member
    natalian wrote: »
    I take issue with the idea that something like Legoland is 'primarily aimed at children'. Surely it is aimed at people who like and appreciate Lego.

Exactly. What kid is building those expensive, complex sets like The Death Star, Millennium Falcon or The Simpsons House that costs hundreds or buying Lego Technic or Lego Architecture?