25 of the world's worst passwords

124»

Comments

• Options
    Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    I did the password tester and one that I thought of as difficult said 10 days to crack the one that I thought less difficult said a 1000 years. Mind you 10 days is good enough , surely anyone would have given up by then to see the boring stuff on my work PC and if they want to spend 10 days solid then they deserve a look for their efforts , they may die of boredom though.

I varied my password so did not use my actual password and it came out at 90,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years

if someone is trying to crack your password ' its not a human sitting there ' so 10 days is nothing.

I played about and got it up to

11,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years

but it would be impossible to remember
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my usual is 10 days to crack. another one which has letters and number in takes 19 seconds.
  • Options
    MagnamundianMagnamundian Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have always wondered... Surely the websites we sign up to know our passwords? Or do they? I don't know how this works :(

Do the owners of DS know my DS password?

I'm not very tech savy in case you can't tell!

I've known people have EverQuest / WOW accounts hacked and they swear they used a unique password, on further probing it would turn out they used a 'unique' password for the game and all other websites/forums they use associated with that game. doh!

Game over ...

In theory, a well behaved website won't store your password, it will store an encrypted 'hash' based on your username (stored) password (not stored) and another piece of information (same for all users) that only the site owner knows. Logins are then validated by rehashing the info and seeing if you get a match.

Personally I usually avoid any site that is capable of sending you a password reminder (e.g. via email) rather than generating a new password for you, as this is a tell-tale sign that they store your password.

I also use a unique password for every website. These are generated using a highly modified version of this - http://angel.net/~nic/passwd.current.html - a SHA-1 hash generated from a master password and the name of whatever site I'm using. For ease of access I've downloaded a copy of the page to my mobile.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wbc-Worker wrote: »
    I played about and got it up to

11,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years

but it would be impossible to remember

I managed to get 'Infinity years'. Not too hard to remember either: just typing 'a' 220 times.
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    I managed to get 'Infinity years'. Not too hard to remember either: just typing 'a' 220 times.

It really would be impossible considering you can't have characters that long for passwords. Lol
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 40,027
    Forum Member
    I wish Apple would accept one of these. It took me about four hours to change it the other day and I was quite happy with my original one.
  • Options
    evolution202evolution202 Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    I doubt it. They have better things to do than guess my passwords :p

Most of my classmates don't even know this site exists so I think I'm safe :D

The thing is, people could still work your password out, just from the info you've given here. To test the theory, I've looked at your posting history, and from info related to your location and the courses you take, I think I have a fair idea of what uni you're at, and what L.A. stands for.

If I really wanted to, I could ring the uni tomorrow and ask what room she's in...... And I'd have your password.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,547
    Forum Member
    What a load of nonsense that site is!

Mostly, if it's not in its database, it just works out how many permutations the length of your password has, and how long it would take a PC to go through all combinations at millions per second.

Yep, it's pathetic.

I entered 1234567890 and it said "instantly".

So I repeated it, 3 more times (40 characters). It said 79 sextillion years.

Nonsense! and Pathetic. I'm not giving *any* clues as to how I create and remember my most important passwords except to say that none are written down and none ever have been. The rest are simpler but I don't care about those sites being cracked. A keylogger will usually get you anyway, whatever your password is, so computer security is the most important thing.

But when I am older and senile and forget them all, my family will have to get the sites to generate new passwords or, in most cases, just ignore the sites for ever. DS would be one of them, I suspect! :o:D
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People are getting hung up on this daft password site. The main thing is that you don't choose a password of something obviously dear to you like dog/car/football team/wife or super lazy like 123456 (I foiled them by writing it backwards).
    As long as you do that, anybody interested in your data would do much better to install malware on your computer, rifle your desk for password reminders or simply spy on you. Your favourite email or ecommerce site is simply not going to let them try a million password combinations.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    What a load of nonsense that site is!

Mostly, if it's not in its database, it just works out how many permutations the length of your password has, and how long it would take a PC to go through all combinations at millions per second.

In reality of course it would need to submit each one to the software, web-site, encryption program etc, which will not allow so many attempts and will not be that fast.

Also, if you use only lower or upper-case letters, it only allows 26 possibilities for each character when it works out how long to try all combinations. But use both, and/or include digits, it increases the number. Of course the cracker will not know what you've used and so will need to try all possible characters anyway (A..Z, a..z, 0..9, symbols and odd characters).

Something it does show is that using a slightly longer password, even using only lower-case letters, gives you just as secure a password (in terms of possible permutations) as a shorter one that uses mixed case, digits and symbols, but that could be a nightmare to remember. But often you aren't given a choice.

.......if nothing else, the ‘password tester’ site has made a lot of people on here re-evaluate ALL aspects of their password/internet security.

....which can only be a good thing. :)
  • Options
    thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slight problem.

The password

Sohereitismerrychristmaseverybodieshavingfun would take A quattuordecillion years to crack.

However if you guessed the first few words surely it would become fairly obvious. Therefore the actual strength would be that of sohereitis which would only take 9 hours to crack

word association and all that
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slight problem.

The password

Sohereitismerrychristmaseverybodieshavingfun would take A quattuordecillion years to crack.

However if you guessed the first few words surely it would become fairly obvious. Therefore the actual strength would be that of sohereitis which would only take 9 hours to crack

How would you know if you had correctly guessed the first few words?

When entering a password, you will be told if it is correct or not, it does not let you know if it is partially correct.

However, if someone who was trying to guess your password knew that you were a Slade fan, then this password would be a lot less secure than that password checker website suggests.

Think that website estimates the time it would take to crack a password using the brute-force technique, which grows exponentially with increasing key size. It would be a lot quicker going through likely segments of Slade's song lyrics.
  • Options
    warlordwarlord Posts: 3,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QT 3.14 wrote: »
    I use a randomly generated 64 character string like this for important stuff.
    mjW+}Y')j=6g\"BNNvhP?Tb8l7OgF5T~CM%jQamBM|DT%3VBQm:Kz);5%4[d.4-

Things like fora though are just phrases using both upper and lower case letters, numbers and characters. All of which are very strong.

I could never type that in without getting it wrong.
  • Options
    BillyBattyBillyBatty Posts: 7,026
    Forum Member
    Could you not just have have a complex password saved in a word program ready to cut and paste. SWIM does this.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BillyBatty wrote: »
    Could you not just have have a complex password saved in a word program ready to cut and paste. SWIM does this.

You could but it's not very secure, if someone gained access to your device they will have access to your passwords.

I recommend using a password manager, which stores your passwords securely. The one I use automatically fills in my login details for sites which have been previously stored, so I don't need to remember any of my passwords (apart from the one to access the password manager itself)
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slight problem.

The password

Yes but Sohereitismerrychristmaseverybodiesh@vingfun might not be so easy.

That would take a A vigintillion years to crack. That is my first new word of the day. I have never seen it before.

It is 10^63 apparently. I probably would be dead by then :)
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a good password.

Dwfw#+$1$34ade11xaEwfwd£$×:;!wg1gzZ$×$"1Eqwrr3AFwfDTgqi

Nobody would be able to successfully hack this type of password.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    warlord wrote: »
    I could never type that in without getting it wrong.

Copy and paste.
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,425
    Forum Member
    Just out of curiosity I whacked in the local-admin password that we use in work. Apparently it will take 525 decillion years to crack :o
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity I whacked in the local-admin password that we use in work. Apparently it will take 525 decillion years to crack :o

I think it just goes by how many characters are used. I managed to get to infinity.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    It's all down to the crapiness of password policies set by IT departments, usually dictated by managers who are too thick to understand security or remember passwords.
    At my place, the enterprise password (for Windows and intranet services) has a policy of the following:
    Password must be changed every three months.
    Password Must contain at least ten characters
    Minimum of two uppercase letters
    Minimum of two lower case letters
    Minimum of two numerals
    Minimum of two non-alphanumeric characters
    No words or substrings of words from its dictionary.

And writing down your password is a dismissable offence.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    At my place, the enterprise password (for Windows and intranet services) has a policy of the following:
    Password must be changed every three months.
    Password Must contain at least ten characters
    Minimum of two uppercase letters
    Minimum of two lower case letters
    Minimum of two numerals
    Minimum of two non-alphanumeric characters
    No words or substrings of words from its dictionary.
    Which actually could speed up a brute-force search because all combinations that don't meet those criterea can be dismissed!

It's also possible to use the approach I suggested earlier which is a fixed prefix or suffix that satisfies the requirements, followed by a nice, easy password of your choice. Eg: AAbb11**john. Next quarter it can be AAbb11**nhoj.

(Depending on its dictionary rules otherwise you might need to do AAbb11**j-o-h-n.)
    And writing down your password is a dismissable offence.
    Store it in an encrypted file that no-one else can access. The password for that can be what you like.