Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 63)

Comments

• Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Sunday is a competitive night of TV. Can't wait to see what happens between Dragons Den, Walking The Nile, Last Tango In Halifax, Mr Selfridge and Celebrity Big Brother at 9pm. It's going to be tight.

Agree it's going to be a stuff night rating wise.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Sunday is a competitive night of TV. Can't wait to see what happens between Dragons Den, Walking The Nile, Last Tango In Halifax, Mr Selfridge and Celebrity Big Brother at 9pm. It's going to be tight.

Something will get squeezed out thats for sure.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree that it will be a tough night. CBB was back on top form tonight in my opinion, so hoping for 2.7m+ against all the competition. Halifax will most likely be 5.7m-6.0m.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Something will get squeezed out thats for sure.
    Agree it's going to be a stuff night rating wise.
    Salv* wrote: »
    Agree that it will be a tough night. CBB was back on top form tonight in my opinion, so hoping for 2.7m+ against all the competition. Halifax will most likely be 5.7m-6.0m.
    Something is going to take a hit. Also Dragon's Den, CBB and Mr Selfridge have similar demos in 35-44. I can see them taking ratings off each other.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it could do well. We haven't had a major police documentary in years.

Well Ch4 have shown 24hrs in Police Custody. I would say that is pretty major. Although I imagine most regular BBC viewers wont have seen this, so no we haven't.
  • Options
    AnthonyCAnthonyC Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reminds me of the times (s) people call out ITV for copying the BBC Although occasionally justified in Stepping Out's case), as if they invented Dancing, Bakery, Country programmes etc.

I think you'll find the BBC did actually get there first on two of those genres. Come Dancing started in 1950 whilst dear old Fanny Craddock started 1955. So technically the trusty old Beeb got there first.

QED. Anything from 1956 onwards is a malicious copy and especially so if it was on ITV :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Ch4 have shown 24hrs in Police Custody. I would say that is pretty major. Although I imagine most regular BBC viewers wont have seen this, so no we haven't.

They have. It didn't feel major to me like The Murder Trial. And the fact The Met has a bigger scope it feels more significant than the channel 4 series.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    I wonder if Reinventing the Royals will ever see the light of day.
  • Options
    northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Churchill drama documentary on itv was brilliant,but just came across it,didnt see any promotion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    northlad wrote: »
    The Churchill drama documentary on itv was brilliant,but just came across it,didnt see any promotion.

It was very good and like you I stumbled across it.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Week two of Get Your Act Together and I'm sure they should have put this opposite The Voice rather than Stars in Their Eyes. I think it would have performed better... though, saying that, I can't think of much which would pull in a lesser figure.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both Last Tango and Mr Selfridge were great tonight. Both deserve good ratings. But I feel only one of them will get it unfortunately.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    northlad wrote: »

Ruined by ITV showing nothing but trailers for themselves in the first two breaks (identical sequence of trails), with product advertisements only returning in the final break after 11pm
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [highlight]In the DS Ratings Predictions Game it's Challenge Week, which means no special and every show carries the same weight. But how will that affect the scores?

Will Midsomer Murders kill off people's chance or will Churchill's farewell result in players welcoming high scores? Could Eat Well for Less result in people scoring more on the board and could The Magna Carta put some people Bang to Rights? The Great Sewing Bee could stitch up a few while others may make The Jump and crash land...

So what are you waiting for? Simply click [/highlight]HERE[highlight], hit reply, delete the quote marks and get predicting!

Best of luck and thank you to all those who take part.

:)[/highlight]
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Ruined by ITV showing nothing but trailers for themselves in the first two breaks (identical sequence of trails), with product advertisements only returning in the final break after 11pm

This means ITV had used up their 40 minutes of commercials allowed between 6 and 11pm by the time Churchill started.

As there were hardly any commercials in it, this could explain the lack of promotion.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Despite the poor(ish) viewing figures, it looks like The Musketeers will get it's third series.

Andy Hay - one of the show's directors - has tweeted that they start filming in April.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Both Last Tango and Mr Selfridge were great tonight. Both deserve good ratings. But I feel only one of them will get it unfortunately.

I think Mr Selfridge might hold up better than is being predicted as it has done so before.
  • Options
    DrifterDrifter Posts: 12,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    towers wrote: »
    Despite the poor(ish) viewing figures, it looks like The Musketeers will get it's third series.

Andy Hay - one of the show's directors - has tweeted that they start filming in April.

And if so it must be based entirely on sales elsewhere then? From which I assume series 1 did ok in some territories?

Otherwise it doesn't sound like the cheapest programme to make for what is very poor ratings.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnthonyC wrote: »
    I think you'll find the BBC did actually get there first on two of those genres. Come Dancing started in 1950 whilst dear old Fanny Craddock started 1955. So technically the trusty old Beeb got there first.

QED. Anything from 1956 onwards is a malicious copy and especially so if it was on ITV :D

Actually the BBC had cookery programmes back in 1936:D
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,153
    Forum Member
    NeilVW wrote: »
    This means ITV had used up their 40 minutes of commercials allowed between 6 and 11pm by the time Churchill started.

As there were hardly any commercials in it, this could explain the lack of promotion.

Is there anyway to check if that was the case?
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,153
    Forum Member
    NeilVW wrote: »
    I wonder if Reinventing the Royals will ever see the light of day.

According to Gordon Rayner it has 'emerged' the programme is likely to be shown next month.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well spotted. Here it is.

https://twitter.com/MrAndyHay/status/556811399268401153?s=09

"@MrAndyHay: @simuran_wolf There's a 3rd series on the way! We start filming in Czech Republic this April."
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Drifter wrote: »
    And if so it must be based entirely on sales elsewhere then? From which I assume series 1 did ok in some territories?

Otherwise it doesn't sound like the cheapest programme to make for what is very poor ratings.

The ratings wouldn't be poor for primetime BBC 2 - roughly consolidating at 5 million once IPlayer has been added..

The show is a decent one - critics are liking it or loving it, especially the slightly darker tone of S2 - it's just that those viewers who gave up on it during S1 haven't returned
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well spotted. Here it is.

https://twitter.com/MrAndyHay/status/556811399268401153?s=09

"@MrAndyHay: @simuran_wolf There's a 3rd series on the way! We start filming in Czech Republic this April."

Well nobody would have been surprised had it been canned but the overseas sales must be the reason it has survived. I have to say I have lost interest myself.
  • Options
    DrifterDrifter Posts: 12,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ratings wouldn't be poor for primetime BBC 2 - roughly consolidating at 5 million once IPlayer has been added..

The show is a decent one - critics are liking it or loving it, especially the slightly darker tone of S2 - it's just that those viewers who gave up on it during S1 haven't returned

Well yes,for BBC2 it would be fine...

It's poor because it hasn't taken off in 2 slots now and for a big scale drama to be far behind what is really a weakened Benidorm isn't great. That's highlighted even more by the gulf between BBC1 and ITV lately - it really should be doing better.

No one's likely to see another series of similar raters like Truckers etc and this must be far more expensive.

Not that it isn't a shame. I haven't seen it but I find it sad when bigger dramas like this fail to take off as the effort that goes into it all must be huge. I felt the same about The White Queen.
This discussion has been closed.