Options

EU says UK's railways must become metric.

steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/554253/Safety-fears-EU-demands-rail-network-UK-go-metric

Until the changeover drivers will have to use trains which have the new metric system and the old miles system which could cause confusion.

Comments

• Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/554253/Safety-fears-EU-demands-rail-network-UK-go-metric

Until the changeover drivers will have to use trains which have the new metric system and the old miles system which could cause confusion.

We didn't fight the Germans so they could tell us how to measure things. Nigel Farage for PM, etc :D

Actually, I'm all for the metric system. It makes a lot more sense.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty inconsequential issue to be honest.

I use a mix of metric and imperial measurements daily.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The UK's mixed system as it is seems pretty stupid. If we laugh at Americans for rigidly sticking to imperial we might as well go the whole hog to metric ourselves.
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    The UK's mixed system as it is seems pretty stupid. If we laugh at Americans for rigidly sticking to imperial we might as well go the whole hog to metric ourselves.

40 years from now, we'll still be hearing the excuse that elderly people will find it confusing, even though these elderly people will be people of my age who have been taught metric in schools and work with it on a daily basis.

You are right though, it is stupid. For example, the fuel economy of a car is quoted in miles per gallon but fuel is sold by the litre :confused:
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing like the simple juxtaposition of using the words EU, ban and force in the same article to wind up the usual suspects.

Frankly the ridiculous notion of the UK clinging to such an outdated imperial system makes us a laughing stock in the eyes of the rest of the world, and this steadfast refusal to come into alignment with most other countries actually does our reputation more harm than good.

I also think that the many people who kick off against these things, far from being viewed by others as being proud to be British, defending our heritage etc, are viewed as eccentric, unyielding and frankly a little bit odd by others.

I grew up with imperial measures, and also pre decimalisation etc...but frankly metric was far easier and simpler to get my head round. Basically of you can count to ten, you can understand metric very quickly and easily.

But the people that kick against it do so for a couple of reasons - firstly the actual issue of what they are being asked to do ( a very simple conversion) becomes secondary to the notion of exactly who is telling them to do it, as is usually hammered home and emphasised repeatedly in such articles.

And second because I think frankly there is a certain amount of fear from certain people that comes with being asked to learn something new, and that typical 'I have done it for years why change now' attitude. The concept of what they are being asked to do is secondary, its the typical 'why should I' response.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps the miles and chains could move to Kilometre and chains as in NI.
  • Options
    jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised we haven't been asked to carry out the same exercise on the roads before now.

I suppose the difference is that train drivers are trained professionals and should be well prepared for the changeover.
  • Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    40 years from now, we'll still be hearing the excuse that elderly people will find it confusing, even though these elderly people will be people of my age who have been taught metric in schools and work with it on a daily basis.

You are right though, it is stupid. For example, the fuel economy of a car is quoted in miles per gallon but fuel is sold by the litre :confused:

When using metric for fuel consumption, it is typically in litres/100km, I think. So, whereas in mpg a higher value of fuel consumption is better, in metric countries, they prefer a lower value.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackthom wrote: »
    I'm surprised we haven't been asked to carry out the same exercise on the roads before now.
    I thought we were, back in the 80s but Maggie held out her hand they decided not to bother. A pity really as it would have been cheaper to do it then, just before the start of the big road improvement programmes.

But I'm all for metric. The only imperial measures I use are miles when I'm driving. For everything else it's metric all the way. And as for age - I went to school in the early 70s and I was taught in metric. It was a new school at the time which probably helped but I can honestly say I've never been taught imperial measurements. They are something I've picked up along the way - like dog poo :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If/when a country changes from miles to kilometres, how are the speed limit signs changed? Do they have a different design for the kph ones? (I doubt it, as the shape of sign is common across countries) Do they have 2 side by side, one in mph and one in kph for a period, before removing the old ones once all the new signs have been put up and everyone knows that the new speeds are valid?

How's it done?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    I thought we were, back in the 80s but Maggie held out her hand they decided not to bother. A pity really as it would have been cheaper to do it then, just before the start of the big road improvement programmes.

But I'm all for metric. The only imperial measures I use are miles when I'm driving. For everything else it's metric all the way. And as for age - I went to school in the early 70s and I was taught in metric. It was a new school at the time which probably helped but I can honestly say I've never been taught imperial measurements. They are something I've picked up along the way - like dog poo :)

I was a little earlier than you. I left school in 1971 to study engineering at university. Most of my schooling was in imperial meaurements. University was pretty much all metric. Then I started work and everyone I worked with was older, and used imperial measures for everything. As I was in engineering, it wasn't just lengths, weights and volumes that changed between metric and imperial, it was all the other engineering units as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    My impression of the British parliament:-
    Yes, USA. No, Europe. Yes, Europe. No, USA.

No doubt our spineless politicans'll give in to Brussels or negotiate instead of telling them to fick selbst
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,818
    Forum Member
    Semierotic wrote: »

Or go the whole hog and revert to imperial.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nice to see what the EU has to worry about these days .
  • Options
    2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I thought this meant the track gauge would have to be tweaked...
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    motsy wrote: »
    No doubt our spineless politicans'll give in to Brussels or negotiate instead of telling them to fick selbst

That's what is a bit stupid about the British relationship with the EU. We tend to piss and moan about things but do them anyway.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Oh, I thought this meant the track gauge would have to be tweaked...

That would be fun! However, I think even the French use standard gauge, they must do, or Eurotunnel would have an interesting problem on it's hands.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OUTRAGEOUS!!! I dont know why but its the EU so it must be bad.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If/when a country changes from miles to kilometres, how are the speed limit signs changed? Do they have a different design for the kph ones? (I doubt it, as the shape of sign is common across countries) Do they have 2 side by side, one in mph and one in kph for a period, before removing the old ones once all the new signs have been put up and everyone knows that the new speeds are valid?

How's it done?
    One option that would save a bit of money and please the 'safety first' brigade would be to announce that from midnight all speed signs are now referring to kph instead of mph. Hey presto! Overnight you get a roughly 20% reduction in speed limits throughout built up areas ;)
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,659
    Forum Member
    They managed to go metric in the Republic of Ireland without that much fuss. If I recall correctly road signs were in KMs since the 1990s and road speed limits were in MPH until about 2005. Now everything is metric.

I don't get why we in the UK don't just bite the bullet and do it rather than using a mixture of both. There aren't really any valid excuses for not doing it.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    They managed to go metric in the Republic of Ireland without that much fuss. If I recall correctly road signs were in KMs since the 1990s and road speed limits were in MPH until about 2005. Now everything is metric.

I don't get why we in the UK don't just bite the bullet and do it rather than using a mixture of both. There aren't really any valid excuses for not doing it.

True but we still think imperial for the most part, i guess in 20-30 years we'll be metric in the mind as well as body.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

If conforming to ERTMS makes our railways even safer, I have no problem with UK railways going metric. It's as simple as that.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    MAW wrote: »
    That would be fun! However, I think even the French use standard gauge, they must do, or Eurotunnel would have an interesting problem on it's hands.

Most of the world uses standard gauge in terms of line mileage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_gauge
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_gauge#Installations
    wikipedia wrote:
    The standard gauge (also Stephenson gauge after George Stephenson, International gauge or normal gauge) is a widely used railway track gauge. Approximately 60% of lines in the world are this gauge (see the list of countries that use the standard gauge). Except for Russia, Uzbekistan, and Finland, all high-speed lines are this gauge.

And by high speed lines, we are talking mainly about France, Germany, Spain, Italy, China and Japan.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frankly the ridiculous notion of the UK clinging to such an outdated imperial system makes us a laughing stock in the eyes of the rest of the world, and this steadfast refusal to come into alignment with most other countries actually does our reputation more harm than good.

To be fair I think it is reasonable to assume the rest of the world probably aren't that bothered.

In my job I work with both Americans and Europeans and, to be honest, having knowledge of both Imperial and Metric comes in very useful.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think the eu should metricate penis sizes. It would give many men a huge confidence boost. Waist measurements, not so good ........