Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 63)

Comments

• Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,694
    Forum Member
    JordyD wrote: »
    Why is everyone calling for DOI to return? Has everyone forgotten how ratings tumbled in the last few series?
    Last year the bringing back of old contestants didn't seem to work.

It could still do a job for ITV, no question about that. Schofe might get that call soon.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,152
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Channel 5 are proud of their movies. They do well for them and can bolster a schedule for them, there are times when if there's nowt on, I'll stick Channel 5 on because they're showing decent movies all night. They advertise them and promote them well.

On the flipside, BBCtv are appalling at promoting movies. That was evident at Christmas when it was just Puss in Boots, The Pirates and Avengers Assemble that got any promotion. Tintin should have been promoted but didn't even get one trailer. Promoted well, that film could have bolstered BBC1's NYD schedule even more. I don't know why the BBC are so bad at promoting movies.

And now funds the training of future spies, known as 'Little Tinkers' under operation Petra.
  • Options
    mediaratmediarat Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    I'm adding to what you said in reply to Mediarat. Who thinks BBC1's success on Sunday is down to having more money.

i don't think it is solely down to money, but you can't suggest that money has nothing to do with it can you?
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV need to reastablish Emmerdale and Coronation Street back on Sunday Night. They should never have axed them from that slot. That was the start of the downfall of their Sunday Nights.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mediarat wrote: »
    i don't think it is solely down to money, but you can't suggest that money has nothing to do with it can you?

I'd say money has very little to do with it. ITV isn't short of cash - just imagination.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Servalan wrote: »
    I'd say money has very little to do with it. ITV isn't short of cash - just imagination.

ITV plc are expected to have made more than £670m in profit in 2014.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/11367413/Will-ITV-chiefs-plot-end-on-a-cliffhanger.html

rzt stated the annual programming budget of the main channel as £800m. (He argued that the ITV main channel badly needs a budget boost.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The latest on the pre-election party leader debates:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jan/26/david-cameron-northern-ireland-parties-tv-debates

Hard to see these rating as well this time around with all the changes. Better when it was just the main parties and main leaders represented IMO.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    ronant wrote: »
    Primetime shares last night (7-10.30):

BBC1 - 31.7%
    BBC2- 12.1%
    ITV incl. +1 - 11.8%
    C4 incl. +1 - 6.0%
    C5 incl. +1 - 6.0%

BBC2 in front of ITV on a Sunday night !! :o:o:o
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV need to reastablish Emmerdale and Coronation Street back on Sunday Night. They should never have axed them from that slot. That was the start of the downfall of their Sunday Nights.

It wasn't actually as ITV still did well on Sundays. Call The Midwife and Sherlock were the start of the downfall and these were in the 8pm. The soaps at 7pm won't help them post 8pm because that is what BBC1 really did well against. ITV rely too much on soap, if they put the soap back on Sundays it means they would also be weaker on weeknights as that helps people them up too.

They need better drama and entertainment.
  • Options
    Forum Member

So your solution is ED/CS every day of the week except Saturday?
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    The interesting thing is that Sky and Channel 4 appear to have secured the two-way debate between Cameron and Miliband, while the BBC and ITV are each to hold a 7-way (if the proposals go ahead).
  • Options
    TORPIDO 1TORPIDO 1 Posts: 1,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a heck of a lot of people will catch Mr selfridge on demand or similar missing out adverts - a problem for itv and they do have a current affairs slot most weeks on Thursdays currently in this slot are the useful and interesting the Kyle files - Jeremy Kyle at his best not the talk show Jeremy Kyle at his worst -

Should itv schedule emmerdale,5 days a week at 7 and coronation street 5 days a week at 730 then vary the material but make it similar to what the BBC are doing as it does seem to work more than the occasions when itv do beat BBC 1 as it does happen you know - some forget it does here seemingly.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    Liverpool v Man It's would be a killer tie....BBC and the FA would love it any round....it could do 8m in primetime on BBC One

Probably wouldn't be in primetime, though. It is true to say, though, that it wouldn't be a disaster if you had it in the fifth round, though, because it would mean you had one team guaranteed to be in the sixth round. And then the semi-finals and final are big occasions regardless. It would be better for the ratings if you had Man U or Liverpool in those fixtures, but not by a massive amount at that stage.

That's true, ITN have always operated on a lower budget than BBC News and for many years they were far more popular. And I remember reading about Nick Elliott, when ITV drama was in its pomp, and they were pointing out that he alone did the equivalent of half a dozen people at the Beeb. In many ways it can be to ITV's advantage because you don't have a million executives interfering and many writers in the past have said how they prefer to work for ITV because the team is smaller and so can make decisions quicker.
    It's the entertainment at 8pm and drama at 9pm that's screwing them. Mr Selfridge dropped in its second series and only recovered due to The Musketeers tanking. It isn't faring well against Last Tango In Halifax which holds its audience and gets an audience regardless of where it's placed. The only entertainment working at 8pm on a Sunday is The X Factor results.

There should be no reason that Mr Selfridge performs so poorly against Last Tango In Halifax, the two are both massively mainstream dramas and they should be getting broadly similar ratings. You certainly can't say Mr Selfridge has been wanting for promotion, even in the very small amount of ITV I watch I've seen trailers for it, plus it's been really prominent in the TV guides - big features in the Radio Times, on the cover of the Sun TV magazine, all that. So all the people who should know about and would want to watch it should know about it.

And as for the lead-in, on Mondays you get Panorama as a lead in for Silent Witness, compared to Corrie for Broadchurch, and yet the two are neck and neck. There should be no excuse, really, other than people generally don't want to watch Mr Selfridge.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    So your solution is ED/CS every day of the week except Saturday?

I can't see how that would be any worse than the current system, to be honest. Rather an hour of soap on Sunday, Monday and Friday than an hour and a half on Monday and Friday, it would provide more variety over the course of the evening.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    ITV plc are expected to have made more than £670m in profit in 2014.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/11367413/Will-ITV-chiefs-plot-end-on-a-cliffhanger.html

rzt stated the annual programming budget of the main channel as £800m. (He argued that the ITV main channel badly needs a budget boost.)

Money can't buy ideas unless they're formats from other countries obviously. ITV used to dominate BBC1 in the nineties and noughties with a succession of popular dramas. BBC1 made some dreadful dramas that never worked. The difference now is that BBC1 has a much better hit rate than in previous years. There was uproar when Lark Rise To Candleford and Zen were axed. Solid performers that hardly troubled ITV. They were replaced by Call The Midwife which ended up being bigger than both. That's how it goes sometimes.
  • Options
    TORPIDO 1TORPIDO 1 Posts: 1,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they take it in turns itv will resurge when the bbc drops away and then vice versa that will be the way for time immortality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    3.71m consolidated for CBB on Sunday, January 18. More popular than the launch show on January 7. :eek:
  • Options
    Jack_MatthewsJack_Matthews Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    TORPIDO 1 wrote: »
    a heck of a lot of people will catch Mr selfridge on demand or similar missing out adverts - a problem for itv and they do have a current affairs slot most weeks on Thursdays currently in this slot are the useful and interesting the Kyle files - Jeremy Kyle at his best not the talk show Jeremy Kyle at his worst -

Should itv schedule emmerdale,5 days a week at 7 and coronation street 5 days a week at 730 then vary the material but make it similar to what the BBC are doing as it does seem to work more than the occasions when itv do beat BBC 1 as it does happen you know - some forget it does here seemingly.

How many people use ITV Player? Do they release user stats? In the odd occasion I have used it in the past I have found the interface to be appalling; don't even think it was in HD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably wouldn't be in primetime, though. It is true to say, though, that it wouldn't be a disaster if you had it in the fifth round, though, because it would mean you had one team guaranteed to be in the sixth round. And then the semi-finals and final are big occasions regardless. It would be better for the ratings if you had Man U or Liverpool in those fixtures, but not by a massive amount at that stage.
    Don't the police put those matches on early for safety concerns between the fans? It'll never be primetime unless both make the final.

That's true, ITN have always operated on a lower budget than BBC News and for many years they were far more popular. And I remember reading about Nick Elliott, when ITV drama was in its pomp, and they were pointing out that he alone did the equivalent of half a dozen people at the Beeb. In many ways it can be to ITV's advantage because you don't have a million executives interfering and many writers in the past have said how they prefer to work for ITV because the team is smaller and so can make decisions quicker.

ITV need a Nick Elliott. It's ideas that are the main problem not money. Although I don't think ITV drama generally is in a mess. Some great shows last year with Prey, The Widower and Cilla. Their miniseries did better than BBC1 offerings like Jamaica Inn.
    There should be no reason that Mr Selfridge performs so poorly against Last Tango In Halifax, the two are both massively mainstream dramas and they should be getting broadly similar ratings. You certainly can't say Mr Selfridge has been wanting for promotion, even in the very small amount of ITV I watch I've seen trailers for it, plus it's been really prominent in the TV guides - big features in the Radio Times, on the cover of the Sun TV magazine, all that. So all the people who should know about and would want to watch it should know about it.

And as for the lead-in, on Mondays you get Panorama as a lead in for Silent Witness, compared to Corrie for Broadchurch, and yet the two are neck and neck. There should be no excuse, really, other than people generally don't want to watch Mr Selfridge.

Exactly Steve.

Mr Selfridge is a programme that also started big and had a successful first series. It should be getting 5m. If it not it means that it isn't a true hit just a timeslot one. With real competition nobody cares. Compare it to Last Tango In Halifax that has held up against competition. Soaps won't help Sunday on ITV after 8pm if people don't like the shows after 8pm
  • Options
    Forum Member

There should be no excuse, really, other than people generally don't want to watch Mr Selfridge.

Of course you are right we have seen that 2 dramas can both rate well against each other and Mr Selfridge averaged over 7m first series when against Ripper Street which averaged 6.5m. Competition is tough on Sunday nights but there is no reason why Selfridge should be so low. Maybe it will timeshift more this year but thats a poor start.
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Money can't buy ideas

No, but money can buy BBC presenters.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TORPIDO 1 wrote: »
    they take it in turns itv will resurge when the bbc drops away and then vice versa that will be the way for time immortality.

This always happens. ITV used to be good at getting returnable dramas then the well ran dry. BBC1 are better now but have commissioned hits as well as duds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Week 3 Channel Shares

Channel: This Year (Last Year) C[HIGHLIGHT]H[/HIGHLIGHT]A[HIGHLIGHT]N[/HIGHLIGHT]G[HIGHLIGHT]E[/HIGHLIGHT]
    BBC One: 23.5% (22.4%) +5%
    BBC Two: 6.1% (7.1%) [HIGHLIGHT]-14%[/HIGHLIGHT]
    ITV: 14.2% (15.5%) [HIGHLIGHT]-8%[/HIGHLIGHT]
    Channel 4: 5.6% (6.1%) [HIGHLIGHT]-8%[/HIGHLIGHT]
    Channel 5: 5.3% (5.0%) +6%

Improvements for BBC One and Channel 5, with the other three losing share, consistent with the year-to-date trends. BBC Two the biggest faller in week 3, minus The Great Sport Relief Bake Off stripped nightly at 8pm during that same week last year.

Meanwhile a particularly strong set of ratings for Celebrity Big Brother propelled Channel 5 to its best weekly share since August of last year, and narrowed the gap to nearest rival Channel 4 to just 0.3 share points.

Year-to-date Channel Shares

Channel: This Year (Last Year) C[HIGHLIGHT]H[/HIGHLIGHT]A[HIGHLIGHT]N[/HIGHLIGHT]G[HIGHLIGHT]E[/HIGHLIGHT]
    BBC One: 22.4% (22.2%) +1%
    BBC Two: 6.4% (7.0%) [HIGHLIGHT]-9%[/HIGHLIGHT]
    ITV: 13.7% (15.1%) [HIGHLIGHT]-9%[/HIGHLIGHT]
    Channel 4: 5.8% (6.2%) [HIGHLIGHT]-6%[/HIGHLIGHT]
    Channel 5: 4.9% (4.8%) +3%

Channel 5 the most improved channel so far in 2015. BBC One also on the upgrade.

ITV narrowly the worst performer on this measure, just behind BBC Two.

www.barb.co.uk
  • Options
    jackc1806jackc1806 Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    3.71m consolidated for CBB on Sunday, January 18. More popular than the launch show on January 7. :eek:

Could we see a 4m official before the end? Maybe the final?
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »

Wow! That is also the exact rating of ladt January's final.
This discussion has been closed.