Options

Fortitude on Sky Atlantic

Comments

• Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Must have been in only 2 or 3 scenes, half a days work for Christopher Ecclestone.

Very clear what is going on....it's just a bit boring - their had to be a Sauna scene - and the Pig.:o

I'll keep watching, but I don't hold out much hope, I'll be there till the end.:(

Stunning locations.:cool:

On the rare occasions that I use a sauna I wear a swimming costume; once when I was on holiday in Austria I was in the hotel's sauna & a naked man came in & started talking to me in German.....:blush::o:blush:
  • Options
    conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the irritation about the semi false advertising of "starring Christopher Eccleston". He was butchered half way through ep 1 and Gambon is terminally ill, so there's two of the "stars" who feature in a blink and you miss kind of way.

Is it too easy to think that Stoddart was murdered because he was not going to give the go ahead for the hotel, or because he didn't play ball re payout for the mammoth fossil. I am going to bet that some completely different reason was behind his very grisly demise which won't come to the fore until the last ep.

Now I have confusion about the waitress who is having the fling with the sick child's dad. Why does the policeman question her constantly about what she is doing or who she is with, and didn't he say to her at one point, she was not to leave Fortitude. Don't get that bit.

Biggest mystery of all is why would anyone in their right minds want to live in Fortitude, seems to be the most depressing, oppressive, dark, wild, freezing, controlling, bear eating dump.
  • Options
    DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrash/death metal? I'd have thought A-ha would be more appropriate!;-)

Scandinavians love their metal.
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing I will say, is I think that almost robot-like sex scene in the out-building will go down as one of the worst ever committed to screen.

I'm far from prudish, but it just seemed to be there for being there's sake. And was acted abysmally.

It was pretty obvious the pair of them were having an affair from the first scene of them together in the jeep.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,965
    Forum Member
    On the rare occasions that I use a sauna I wear a swimming costume; once when I was on holiday in Austria I was in the hotel's sauna & a naked man came in & started talking to me in German.....:blush::o:blush:
    I'm guessing that he didn't ask (in German) "You here for orgy, yes?!" :D
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,965
    Forum Member
    It's obviously a science fiction horror series (unethical scientists and monsters no doubt) but this stuff is usually the territory of movies. That's probably why it feels dragged out.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    henry_hope wrote: »
    They are trying to do something different with the advert breaks during this drama,especially in the first break where adverts were all snow/winter related and fitting in with the mood of the drama.The effect was that the ad breaks felt shorter and less intrusive.

Channel 4 did something similar with The Returned, the first episode all the adverts were in french.
    conchie wrote: »
    Now I have confusion about the waitress who is having the fling with the sick child's dad. Why does the policeman question her constantly about what she is doing or who she is with, and didn't he say to her at one point, she was not to leave Fortitude. Don't get that bit.

I suspect she may be on parole or similar, so the policeman is what passes for a probation officer there and has to keep tabs on where she is working and whether she plans to stay. Him asking if she is seeing anyone? Did she perhaps bump off a previous lover?

And anyone who has not come across Chipo Chung (who plays Trish Stoddart), her real life story is well worth a read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipo_Chung
  • Options
    duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    One thing I will say, is I think that almost robot-like sex scene in the out-building will go down as one of the worst ever committed to screen.

I'm far from prudish, but it just seemed to be there for being there's sake. And was acted abysmally.

It was pretty obvious the pair of them were having an affair from the first scene of them together in the jeep.

I agree it was not the least convincing. However, it was there for a reason. It allowed Liam to escape through the window and get frost bite and cause a crisis leading Jules to connect with the doctor and find the pig - a scene I found extremely suspenseful and scary. We don't know if Liam saw his father doing the dirty on his mother but we do know she worked it out and it has destroyed their marriage. I'm guessing that Liam snuck out for some reason to do with the remains he and the little girl found? I'm also wondering if his sudden illness is to do with that too?
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    f_196 wrote: »

I'm far from prudish, but it just seemed to be there for being there's sake

It was. And why did the bloke near the end walk in with his nob swinging. Was that supposed to add something that a towel or shorts would not?
  • Options
    BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very underwhelming. Can see why they put out "two episodes" in one go cos at 10pm-ish I was really getting bored/fed-up - I suspect if it ended then it would have haemorrhaged a third of viewers next week. It mildly bucked up in second half but it's still way short of where it ought to be given the money spent on it and the advertising hoop-la. Still be surprised if it retains 75% of last night's audience next week though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    henry_hope wrote: »
    They are trying to do something different with the advert breaks during this drama,especially in the first break where adverts were all snow/winter related and fitting in with the mood of the drama.The effect was that the ad breaks felt shorter and less intrusive.!

Yes, but it didn't help me fast-forwarding through them - I kept stopping thinking it was starting again, to find it was just an ad! :)
  • Options
    ricardoyluciaricardoylucia Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slow and tedious...feeling hard done by with Christopher Eccleston already dead and Michael Gambon with not much time left...

Hoping the story picks up.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    interesting, although her reaction to the pig was way over the top!
    gonna watch it again tonight

and it looks like it's shown in 2x1 format, or very near it
  • Options
    Jim_UlaJim_Ula Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone manage to make out what the engraving was on the handcuffs?
  • Options
    feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as international co-production's go..........I think Eldorado, set in the fictional town of Los Barcos, Spain
    ...... is far superior.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    Are you sure Ecclestons character is dead, I only got through half of the 2 hour Pilot, but didn't they realise he was alive and rushed him in.....

I quite like it, love the feel for the place, reminds me of Aviemore in Scotland, not sure about Gambons character, or acting. I accept the Pilot is always difficult to film a they have to introduce you to all the characters and landmarks.

Looks good, I do agree about Skys over hyping and over promoting though, I really believe it has a detrimental effect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    feckit wrote: »
    As far as international co-production's go..........I think Eldorado, set in the fictional town of Los Barcos, Spain
    ...... is far superior.

No the engraving wasn't that long.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you sure Ecclestons character is dead, I only got through half of the 2 hour Pilot, but didn't they realise he was alive and rushed him in..
    They do rush him in, but he doesn't make it.

As a side note how do you put two quotes in the same post???????
  • Options
    feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jim_Ula wrote: »
    No the engraving wasn't that long.

;-):D:D:D
  • Options
    jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did Richard Dormer drink the salt solution and boke down the loo?

The whole thing is a bit off at present , to many questions
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jim_Ula wrote: »
    They do rush him in, but he doesn't make it.

As a side note how do you put two quotes in the same post???????

You will notice next to the "QUOTE" button there are two other buttons you can click on so three buttons in all. On the first post you want to quote, click the middle of the three buttons-this is the multi-quote button. Then click "QUOTE" as normal on the second post you want to use and it should show both posts in your reply box.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    You will notice next to the "QUOTE" button there are two other buttons you can click on so three buttons in all. On the first post you want to quote, click the middle of the three buttons-this is the multi-quote button. Then click "QUOTE" as normal on the second post you want to use and it should show both posts in your reply box.

Cool, thanks :)
  • Options
    ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was certainly 'different' for a UK series, but from reading some of the posts, it seems it will suffer from the usual, unless its almost in Janet & John language and the plot is easy to follow, then we will give up as too difficult to follow, etc etc !
  • Options
    Ellie1967Ellie1967 Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jojoeno wrote: »
    Why did Richard Dormer drink the salt solution and boke down the loo?

The whole thing is a bit off at present , to many questions

He had been drinking (as he was off duty) so I assumed it was either to clear his head so he could investigate, or so other people wouldn't realise he had been drinking.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    Re; Ecclestons Character, I can only guess, there will be a lot of reminiscing in the drama as I can't see them flying him to the location for one episode only, but what do I know, apart from the fact I am not a fan of shows that keep looking back......