Options

Campaign to bring Waitrose to Aberdeen

Comments

• Options
    fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    I don't troll (another reason to get out of answering) and "I can't be bothered" which is you don't know why you want Waitrose you just like the name and think it will somehow make Aberdeen attractive to wealthy people.

No, that's what Yorkshire tried before the Jimmy Saville. Aberdeen has the most amount of millionaires outside of London most people get paid big bucks up here. Not down the pits and Margaret Thatcher would agree with me on that one.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    Waitrose products are superior, calling people "idiots" because they enjoy the finer things in life is just ignorant. It's like trying to explain to a chav why a restaurant is better than a McDonalds.

Superior???????

They sell the same stuff as the other supermarkets that's why they price match Tesco if they didn't sell the same products they couldn't price match could they?

You think a tin of Heinz soup from Waitrose is somehow better than a tin of Heinz soup from B&M?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, that's what Yorkshire tried before the Jimmy Saville. Aberdeen has the most amount of millionaires outside of London most people get paid big bucks up here. Not down the pits and Margaret Thatcher would agree with me on that one.

Jimmy Saville? what on earth has that got to do with Waitrose.

Why are you obsessed with this ideas millionaires shop at Waitrose??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Superior???????

They sell the same stuff as the other supermarkets that's why they price match Tesco if they didn't sell the same products they couldn't price match could they?

You think a tin of Heinz soup from Waitrose is somehow better than a tin of Heinz soup from B&M?

Clearly your being pedantic by completely ignoring own brand stuff which makes up most of their stores. Waitrose go and pick the best vegetables and put them in their stores. The weird shaped ones go to Tesco.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Superior???????

A tin of Waitrose's own stuff is frequently more to my taste than the big brands. Even the baked beans are better.
  • Options
    Forum Member

You criticised Aberdeen so I criticised Yorkshire.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clearly your being pedantic by completely ignoring own brand stuff which makes up most of their stores. Waitrose go and pick the best vegetables and put them in their stores. The weird shaped ones go to Tesco.

When did these delusions start, have you seen anybody about treating this "Waitroseitis" I am sure there is a cure, they give the weird shape vegetables to Tesco:confused: as if.
  • Options
    Forum Member

It's common knowledge, surely not. Just like saying that a lot of people on low incomes go to McDonald's. I am stating their target market.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When did these delusions start, have you seen anybody about treating this "Waitroseitis" I am sure there is a cure, they give the weird shape vegetables to Tesco:confused: as if.

Again, it's common knowledge. Waitrose and M&S go to the farmers and take the best class 1 veg to their stores and whatever's left goes to the other supermarkets.

Google it. ;-)
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you can't see that supermarkets differ in the relative quality and variety of things they sell you have no taste buds.
  • Options
    KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    Again, it's common knowledge. Waitrose and M&S go to the farmers and take the best class 1 veg to their stores and whatever's left goes to the other supermarkets.

Google it. ;-)

Waitrose are no better or worse at screwing over suppliers than any other supermarket.

You've just bought into the perception that what they sell is automatically better because it's more expensive, or because the shop is a bit tidier.

We've moved to a small village with a local butcher, fishmonger and green grocer. The produce they supply is so much better than anything you'll get in a supermarket it's almost funny.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Heaven forbid that you should ever pick up a dented tin, I suppose like out of shape vegetables it must be unedible?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KidMoe wrote: »
    Waitrose are no better or worse at screwing over suppliers than any other supermarket.

You've just bought into the perception that what they sell is automatically better because it's more expensive, or because the shop is a bit tidier.

We've moved to a small village with a local butcher, fishmonger and green grocer. The produce they supply is so much better than anything you'll get in a supermarket it's almost funny.

On the other hand, the Jerusalem artichokes I buy from Waitrose are superior to the ones I buy from my local artisan-y greengrocer.

You've bought into the myth that indy shops are always better than supermarkets. They ain't. Even good ones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Heaven forbid that you should ever pick up a dented tin, I suppose like out of shape vegetables it must be unedible?

Like another poster said if you cannot taste the difference then your taste buds have not evolved enough. Your lucky you could taste Smart Price and it would taste luxury, lucky you. :p
  • Options
    KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    vosne wrote: »
    On the other hand, the Jerusalem artichokes I buy from Waitrose are superior to the ones I buy from my local artisan-y greengrocer.

You've bought into the myth that indy shops are always better than supermarkets. They ain't. Even good ones.

No, I haven't, because it is actually better to buy stuff from my local shops.

Did I say all indy shops? Nope.

I can go to a farm two miles down the road and pick my own fruit during the summer for no more than what I pay for a packet of strawberries that are at least 3 days off the plant in a supermarket.

There also something great about spending the same amount of money on a chicken breast than I would in Tesco that actually stays the same size when I cook it because it hasn't been pumped full of water to make it look bigger.

Half the stuff you buy in waitrose, branded or unbranded, will be exactly the same as what you can buy in Asda. The other half may or may not be better but it will most likely be more expensive and you can bet that extra money isn't finding it's way to the suppliers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KidMoe wrote: »
    No, I haven't, because it is actually better to buy stuff from my local shops.

Did I say all indy shops? Nope.

I can go to a farm two miles down the road and pick my own fruit during the summer for no more than what I pay for a packet of strawberries that are at least 3 days off the plant in a supermarket.

There also something great about spending the same amount of money on a chicken breast than I would in Tesco that actually stays the same size when I cook it because it hasn't been pumped full of water to make it look bigger.

Well quite. And supporting small, local traders is great. Some of them are also crap. Some are mediocre. Some are great. So exactly the same as products in supermarkets then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like another poster said if you cannot taste the difference then your taste buds have not evolved enough. Your lucky you could taste Smart Price and it would taste luxury, lucky you. :p

What has tasting got to do with it, we eat to stay alive what does it matter if it doesn't taste as good as long as it is edible and does the job?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What has tasting got to do with it, we eat to stay alive what does it matter if it doesn't taste as good as long as it is edible and does the job?

Like I said. nay taste buds :p
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do Waitrose even stock Baked Beans? Are they going downmarket?

Are you allowed to shop there in a Onesie?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do Waitrose even stock Baked Beans? Are they going downmarket?

Are you allowed to shop there in a Onesie?

:o:o According to the Waitrose website they are selling Warburton and Hovis bread cheaper than all the other supermarkets...has Waitrose lost it's mind they are now a cheap supermarket.:o

Two loaves of Hovis for £1.50, all other supermarkets £1 per loaf even Lidl I think is 79p per loaf.
  • Options
    Sid LawSid Law Posts: 4,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was before the 1970's. Since then Aberdeen has become more cosmopolitan. Butternut Squash is one of the best selling items in the supermarket where I work.

Dundee has went the other way though.

Dundee has GONE the other way is what you meant.

Cheeky b*****d !

Dundee is much changed from the 1970's when it was grim. Sure it's not on a par with Aberdeen, but it's on the up and the V&A/waterfront development although years from completion is already making a massive difference.

I love the city - and I am Edinburgh born and bred!
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    Aberdeen has been awarded this years Plook on a Plinth award as being the most dismal town in Scotland.

http://www.scotlandnow.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/most-dismal-town-scotland-aberdeen-5096149

I have to say that I don't know if this award is merited because I have never visited Aberdeen. Perhaps FM's with more knowledge of Aberdeen could comment?

I'd say it is merited, considering the wealth in the city there is a shocking lack of development and the infracstructure is appalling. There are several projects in development and in the pipleline which could improve things. A big problem is that we have a very small minded, amateurish city council. Until that changes we will always lag behind other cities.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    I'd say it is merited, considering the wealth in the city there is a shocking lack of development and the infracstructure is appalling. There are several projects in development and in the pipleline which could improve things. A big problem is that we have a very small minded, amateurish city council. Until that changes we will always lag behind other cities.

The magazine said Aberdeen had been nominated by readers "following a litany of embarrassing missteps from the Union Terrace Gardens fiasco to the failed bid for 2017 City of Culture to today's fracas over Marischal Square".

Does this make any sense to you?
  • Options
    Forum Member

So because someone in South Yorkshire does not like Waitrose people in Aberdeen are not allowed to get the choice?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Picto wrote: »
    The magazine said Aberdeen had been nominated by readers "following a litany of embarrassing missteps from the Union Terrace Gardens fiasco to the failed bid for 2017 City of Culture to today's fracas over Marischal Square".

Does this make any sense to you?

There was a project for major redevelopment but people were against it so we had a referendum and people voted Yes. The No voters were unhappy so voted Labour into the council and Labour scrapped the project.