Options

Why hasn't Bill Wyman been arrested yet?

be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
Forum Member
✭✭
It's well-known that he courted Mandy Smith when he was 48 and she was 14. They were pictured together "dating" at the time and Mandy has stated publicly that he did indeed sleep with her while she was underage.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1266664/Mandy-Smith-I-DID-sleep-Bill-Wyman-I-14--man-life-God.html

Seriously, even if Mandy Smith hasn't given a formal statement to the police, there must be more than enough evidence to get Wyman arrested and questioned about the relationship? Why the f*** has this guy got away with it? I remember they were pictured together on an awful lot of "holidays", so did the abuse take place in countries with a lower age of consent?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was stated she was only 13 when they started having sex together. The matter that a poster mentioned in the Glitter thread that he was not charged because the mother was OK with it changes nothing under law. And neither is the fact that it was years ago should make any difference either as all the recent cases prove.

And as said, there is enough evidence to pull him in and question\charge Wyman yet still the police\CPS won't do anything. Like I said, its all double standards for as long as a person is still marketable and profitable to the music industry etc.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't he actually hand himself in at one point and was told they weren't that bothered? Think I read that on here somewhere. Which obviously doesn't make it true...
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never mind about Mandy Smith.

He should have been arrested for "Je Suis Un Rockstar".
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He did say at the time of the Savile story first breaking. He went to the police and CPS they were not interested. Not in the public interest.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/rolling-stones/9962776/Ex-Rolling-Stone-Bill-Wyman-reveals-he-approached-police-regarding-sex-claims.html

Bill's been married to his current wife who is 45 for the past 18 years.
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The police would be working 24/7 once the Rockstar and underage sex investigations get going.

We haven't enough rugs and brushes for that! ;-)
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For some odd reason i was watching an old episode of bullseye last week on challenge whilst channel surfing.

At the start of the show, Jim Bowen and Tony Green were talking about names for certain 'throws' in darts. LIke "shaghai" meaning something or other.

Anyway, i'm sure Jim made a joke where as if you needed "a score under 16" you called it a "Bill Wyman".

It was actually quite shocking.

Here we have a 1990s show casually joking about this!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dave9946 wrote: »
    I thought it was stated she was only 13 when they started having sex together. The matter that a poster mentioned in the Glitter thread that he was not charged because the mother was OK with it changes nothing under law. And neither is the fact that it was years ago should make any difference either as all the recent cases prove.

And as said, there is enough evidence to pull him in and question\charge Wyman yet still the police\CPS won't do anything. Like I said, its all double standards for as long as a person is still marketable and profitable to the music industry etc.
    14 is the age Mandy Smith herself said they started having sex. Although she had been 13 when they began "dating". I wonder if the holidays abroad (bringing Smith's mother along) were a way for Wyman to circumvent our age of consent in countries where 14 is legal?
  • Options
    grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,962
    Forum Member
    He certainly fits the profile for an arrest, being an entertainer. It's not as if he's an MP or a copper. 😉
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Could be worse, he could still be with the God-botherer.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's well-known that he courted Mandy Smith when he was 48 and she was 14. They were pictured together "dating" at the time and Mandy has stated publicly that he did indeed sleep with her while she was underage.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1266664/Mandy-Smith-I-DID-sleep-Bill-Wyman-I-14--man-life-God.html

Seriously, even if Mandy Smith hasn't given a formal statement to the police, there must be more than enough evidence to get Wyman arrested and questioned about the relationship? Why the f*** has this guy got away with it? I remember they were pictured together on an awful lot of "holidays", so did the abuse take place in countries with a lower age of consent?

Without a formal statement, or any other supportive evidence, what is there left to begin a prosecution with?
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started a thread on this a while back, as i had been wondering too.

Roman Polanksi is another odd one. I've heard people defending him (Whoopi Goldberg for one) for being with an underage girl
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I started a thread on this a while back, as i had been wondering too.

Roman Polanksi is another odd one. I've heard people defending him (Whoopi Goldberg for one) for being with an underage girl

Difference he was charged and is still wanted in America.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Without a formal statement, or any other supportive evidence, what is there left to begin a prosecution with?
    The victim has herself stated publicly she was in a sexual relationship with Wyman at 14. Does she need to come forward to get an investigation started? Surely the police should go to her for a formal statement?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The victim has herself stated publicly she was in a sexual relationship with Wyman at 14. Does she need to come forward?

Yes, with proper details, after a formal interview, and giving the Police something to base an interview on.

Anyone can say any old rubbish in the press, then deny it. It has no legal basis in something like this.
  • Options
    Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From Wikipedia..
    On 2 June 1989, aged 52, Wyman married 18-year-old Mandy Smith whom he had been dating since she was 13 and he was 47 years old. According to Smith, their relationship was sexually consummated when she was 14 years old.

Definitely the illegal activities of a pedophile in plain sight of everyone.

But not in public interest to prosecute so best to forget about this one.
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dave9946 wrote: »

It was 14 according to Mandy. She herself doesn't want him to be prosecuted, for her own reasons.
    A woman I know started having sex at 15 with a 21 year old man. Do you think he should be prosecuted? She would disagree, because they've been married for more than 30 years.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The victim has herself stated publicly she was in a sexual relationship with Wyman at 14. Does she need to come forward to get an investigation started? Surely the police should go to her for a formal statement?

Um, yes. She would need to present all of the evidence in open court so that the justice system can do it's work.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If the police did tell him that they weren't bothered that he had sex with a 14-year-old lass, I find that disgraceful. No doubt they'd have took the average Joe in for questioning straight away if someone had told them that. If he did have sex with her when she was underage, the double standards stink!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    It was 14 according to Mandy. She herself doesn't want him to be prosecuted, for her own reasons.
    A woman I know started having sex at 15 with a 21 year old man. Do you think he should be prosecuted? She would disagree, because they've been married for more than 30 years.

There is why charges have not and cannot be brought.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    If the police did tell him that they weren't bothered that he had sex with a 14-year-old lass, I find that disgraceful. No doubt they'd have took the average Joe in for questioning straight away if someone had told them that. If he did have sex with her when she was underage, the double standards stink!

Do you think there are no average Joes who have had sex with girls under 16? Do you think they should all be prosecuted?
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And if she just says it was for PR that we said it and we didn't actually do the dirty then where does the case go ?
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,496
    Forum Member
    grauniad wrote: »
    He certainly fits the profile for an arrest, being an entertainer. It's not as if he's an MP or a copper. ��

Or a priest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think there are no average Joes who have had sex with girls under 16? Do you think they should all be prosecuted?

And what do people suggest for when the alleged victim does not want them to be prosecuted?
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    And if she just says it was for PR that we said it and we didn't actually do the dirty then where does the case go ?

Exactly. It's difficult enough getting a prosecution when the victim actually WANTS one.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will_Bee wrote: »
    From Wikipedia..
    On 2 June 1989, aged 52, Wyman married 18-year-old Mandy Smith whom he had been dating since she was 13 and he was 47 years old. According to Smith, their relationship was sexually consummated when she was 14 years old.

Definitely the illegal activities of a pedophile in plain sight of everyone.

But not in public interest to prosecute so best to forget about this one.

It is utterly ridiculous that he's not being investigated or brought in for questioning over this. However, if no one's making a complaint against him, that might be why the police aren't bothering with him for.