Options

Top Of The Pops 1980 - BBC4

Comments

• Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    He's too busy running his burger van. Dollar did a t.v. show a couple of years ago, in which old pop stars were rehashed.

There was something he was on in the last few years. Cheryl Baker was on it as well, she walked out because he was there. There is some bad history between him and her I think it's to do with Bucks Fizz.
  • Options
    cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    There was something he was on in the last few years. Cheryl Baker was on it as well, she walked out because he was there. There is some bad history between him and her I think it's to do with Bucks Fizz.

Wasn't it I'm A Celebrity? Pretty sure DVD was in the jungle.
  • Options
    2Legit2Quit2Legit2Quit Posts: 4,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't it I'm A Celebrity? Pretty sure DVD was in the jungle.

I think it was Coach Trip.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sounds right I think that was it.
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was on Reborn In The USA with Therese (sp?), the show that Rich was referring to, and they got into a feud with Sonia. Here's a clip for anyone interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7OXWcHc5oM
  • Options
    highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member

Yep, it was Coach Trip. A friend of mine who watches it told me to watch as David Van Day was on it and was winding everyone up. I only saw a couple of episodes. He an Chery Baker obviously have big issues. She would barely acknowledge him even being there, which is quite unusual for Cheryl. Pretty sure it has to do with the Bucks Fizz situation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ClareB wrote: »
    He was on Reborn In The USA with Therese (sp?), the show that Rich was referring to, and they got into a feud with Sonia. Here's a clip for anyone interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7OXWcHc5oM

I remember seeing that at the time Clare. I confess I was on 'Team Dollar'. I was never much of a Sonia fan. :D
  • Options
    Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, it was Coach Trip. A friend of mine who watches it told me to watch as David Van Day was on it and was winding everyone up. I only saw a couple of episodes. He an Chery Baker obviously have big issues. She would barely acknowledge him even being there, which is quite unusual for Cheryl. Pretty sure it has to do with the Bucks Fizz situation.

It was all about the way he'd appropriated the rights to call "his" version Bucks Fizz and sold all the originals down the river. She said he was an awful man and she didn;t want anything to do with him because of his treatment of Mike Nolan in particular.

In that series he face planted onto the concrete from a moving segway...it was quite funny.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was all about the way he'd appropriated the rights to call "his" version Bucks Fizz and sold all the originals down the river. She said he was an awful man and she didn;t want anything to do with him because of his treatment of Mike Nolan in particular.

In that series he face planted onto the concrete from a moving segway...it was quite funny.

Thanks Shady. I thought it was along those lines.
  • Options
    SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought The Buggles were awful, like a spoof parody of what an early 80s band would sound and look like.

As I said earlier in the thread, Buggles seem to have more of an air of prog to them than synthpop. Strangely, when Horn and Downes joined Yes later in the year, the album they produced (Drama) sounds far more pompous to me than anything Yes had produced before (and I'm even including Tales From Topographic Oceans in that!)
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Shady. I thought it was along those lines.

Wasnt there an 'issue' with him performing Dollar songs with the Bucks Fizz line up as well?

They wouldnt let him do it, so we saw a clip of him performing Dollar songs at some private event.

Must admit if I saw members of 2 groups performing together on the same bill, Id expect material from both groups not just the one!

(I assume that is what happens with the 'popular beat combo' McBusted?)
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's too busy running his burger van. Dollar did a t.v. show a couple of years ago, in which old pop stars were rehashed.

Hate to say it but it was not a couple of years ago but a full dozen, back in 2003. :o Like Highlander I was rooting for Dollar on that show and was really peeved when they went first.

He was on I'm A Celeb in 2008 and I only watched it because he was on it. I think he did quite well.

Never grasped why he "joined" Bucks Fizz though. He was like a cuckoo in the nest in that group. Dollar had a good catalogue of their own hits worth performing. Anyone who has taken a look at his twitter will see that he has got a picture of one of the recent TOTP 1980 performances of I Wanna Hold Your Hand with just himself in the image, retweeted from what was clearly taken off the TV screen as it was going out.

I see there is a thread on DS asking why Bill Wyman hasn't been arrested yet. Honestly! He was almost celebrated in the 80's for what he was doing with Mandy Smith, even her mother approved didn't she? It was all well out in the open anyway, plus she became his wife. He'll be on TOTP next year with his solo hit, so we don't need any more potential exclusions.
  • Options
    Scott_WhittonScott_Whitton Posts: 5,428
    Forum Member
    The kid'll be 35 now.:D

And probably a grandparent!
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's too busy running his burger van.

Day also tried to be a Conservative MP in Brighton a few years ago. WTF?
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jedikiah wrote: »
    Yes, really great episode. I liked Matchbox, mind Their brand of rock 'n' roll/rockabilly is just up my street, and that track of theirs, i have rarely heard, so it proved a real treat. I don't mind Dollar's "I Want To Hold Your Hand", at all, but i think it has been on the show rather a lot of late, and the song isn't necessarily one that stands up particularly well after repeated listens. Suzi Quatro's "Mama's Boy" is conveyed a little too forcefully by Suzi in my opinion, almost as though she's rather too desperate in trying to make something of it. I do love the energy of the song, nevertheless, but it's not a favourite.

Just watched last nights late version so I could see this. That for me was actually a weird re-recorded version of "Mama's Boy", much heavier sounding than the actual single, the drums were tougher sounding and its also far heavier on the keyboard/piano (whatever it is) part. Sounds like a 'bar room jam' version. I still like it though.
    Agree. This is probably how he got the part of Pink in The Wall a few years on. He was awful in it, the guy is NOT an actor, despite what people led him to believe.

Agree with your thoughts on his acting. On the TOTP clip it looks fake and totally 'am dram'. Never seen The Wall but if his performance in that is anything like this then I suspect he overacts throughout.
  • Options
    ramraider1ramraider1 Posts: 14,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ML11 wrote: »
    I preferred Talk of the Town come April

So did I. So underrated.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched this week's episode. Oh dear!!

Apart from The Nolans, not much I really enjoyed if I'm honest. Legs & Co were doing something a little different I thought. I wish Kool & The Gang had been given longer.

I really am fed up of that Dollar song! How come the brilliant 'Love's Got A Hold On Me' got about one (now Yewtree) screening in 1979 but this cover seems to have been around for ages?

It's nice looking forward to when 1980 realky picks up though. The first months were dreadful!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    What a cool playout from Kool & The Gang with Too Hot. Makes me think of a hot summer day, sun beating down, far removed from January. Check out the version with Lisa Stansfield if you can, it's just as good. :cool:

I did and it's nearly as good as James JT Taylor's version.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoyed last night's longer version of TOTP. Plenty of tunes which I still play today : Kool, Azymuth, Sheila, BeeGees, Buggles, Rats, Pretenders to name a few.

The Bee Gees inspire a lot of love on this forum so I'll post a link below to what was the B-side of both their brilliant Jive Talkin single and Spirits Having Flown single. They must have liked the track to use it as a B-side twice. It's on my pod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZMPKTYsL50
  • Options
    JedikiahJedikiah Posts: 5,396
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    Just watched this week's episode. Oh dear!!

Apart from The Nolans, not much I really enjoyed if I'm honest. Legs & Co were doing something a little different I thought. I wish Kool & The Gang had been given longer.

I really am fed up of that Dollar song! How come the brilliant 'Love's Got A Hold On Me' got about one (now Yewtree) screening in 1979 but this cover seems to have been around for ages?

It's nice looking forward to when 1980 realky picks up though. The first months were dreadful!

The strange thing is i have completely the reverse view. I think last night's show was very good indeed. The Bee Gees, Buggles, Joe Jackson, The Specials, The Regents, The Pretenders and Sheila B Devotion were all brilliant. I have never been truly convinced by Bob Geldof's rebellious onstage persona, etc. although the song itself was excellent. However, i do have a preference for the Boomtown Rats hit from later in the year, "Banana Republic" to "Someone's Looking At You". I need a few more listens to Barbara Dickson's "Caravan" before i reach an opinion.

The only thing i object to a little from last weeks show, was the excessive trimming of some of the performances.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ramraider1 wrote: »
    Really enjoyed last night's longer version of TOTP. Plenty of tunes which I still play today : Kool, Azymuth, Sheila, BeeGees, Buggles, Rats, Pretenders to name a few.

The Bee Gees inspire a lot of love on this forum so I'll post a link below to what was the B-side of both their brilliant Jive Talkin single and Spirits Having Flown single. They must have liked the track to use it as a B-side twice. It's on my pod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZMPKTYsL50

I've never come across that before, an artist using the same song as a B-side to different singles. And even more bizarrely on two singles around 5 years apart! :o I think I'd be a bit p*&%ed of as a fan if I'd discovered that. Part of the joy of record buying for me back then was when you got a new, especially non album track on the flip side. Having said that, its a good song though. I wonder why the record company done it? If they were trying to boost sales you'd maybe expect a previous big hit put on the B-side, not a 5 year old album track that had already served the same purpose. :confused:
  • Options
    faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SgtRock wrote: »
    I really don't remember this Rats song very much, which is surprising if it got to no. 4. :confused:

'Someone's Looking At You' reminds me of New Year's Eve 1979 when I first heard it on a video made specially for the Kenny Everett show (the same one that featured The Greedies) with the group in combat fatigues. When I noticed late last year that the clip had been uploaded to YouTube in September it was the first time I had seen it in almost 35 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3jTHS1EwP8
    nw0307 wrote: »
    Talk of the town is my favourite Pretenders song. Sublime:)

Chrissie Hynde and James Honeyman-Scott were interviewed by Richard Skinner on Radio One's 'Rock On Saturday' on 5 January 1980 about their recently released debut album (Brass in Pocket was No. 5 at the time) and I recollect JHS saying the band had just started work on their new single inspired by a chord Chrissie came up with one day which he was sure she'd nicked from 'A Hard Day's Night'. When 'Talk Of The Town' was released around three months later I recognised the chord which does sound vaguely reminiscent of the famous opening chord on 'A Hard Day's Night' which George Harrison produced on his 12-string Rickenbacker.
    Jedikiah wrote: »
    I need a few more listens to Barbara Dickson's "Caravan" before i reach an opinion.

I recall 'Caravan ' was a Radio Two staple in 1980 and was composed by Mike Batt who wrote 'Bright Eyes' etc. (I haven't watched the unedited TOTP yet).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As much as I enjoy this thread, it has to be said that there is nothing like sitting down watching the full episodes with no distractions!

I thought Suzi's "Mama's Boy" was surprisingly good - very much stuck in the 70s, but a good, driving tune delivered well.

Barbara Dickson's "Caravans" - was anyone else thinking that the chorus was going to go "caravans, burning like fire"? Then you remember that Mike Read just told you that it was written by Mike Batt, who also wrote "Bright Eyes", and it all comes together. They both have the same three-note phrase to start the chorus. I prefer her follow-up "January February", which isn't at all out of place in a very strong line-up on 3rd April.

The Regents "7 Teen" - how did this brilliant, bonkers song manage to slip through a hole in my memory? Was it an influence behind Blur's "London Loves"?

Even Dollar and Matchbox came across better when watching the full episode. And even after all these appearances, "Brass In Pocket" still sounds like the perfect pop song.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And another thing - don't know if this was noticed yesterday - what was with the font on Billy Preston & Syreeta's slide in the countdown? It looks like the worst piece of photoshopping ever!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SgtRock wrote: »
    As much as I enjoy this thread, it has to be said that there is nothing like sitting down watching the full episodes with no distractions!

I thought Suzi's "Mama's Boy" was surprisingly good - very much stuck in the 70s, but a good, driving tune delivered well.

Barbara Dickson's "Caravans" - was anyone else thinking that the chorus was going to go "caravans, burning like fire"? Then you remember that Mike Read just told you that it was written by Mike Batt, who also wrote "Bright Eyes", and it all comes together. They both have the same three-note phrase to start the chorus. I prefer her follow-up "January February", which isn't at all out of place in a very strong line-up on 3rd April.

The Regents "7 Teen" - how did this brilliant, bonkers song manage to slip through a hole in my memory? Was it an influence behind Blur's "London Loves"?

Even Dollar and Matchbox came across better when watching the full episode. And even after all these appearances, "Brass In Pocket" still sounds like the perfect pop song.

Have to agree. As much fun as it is watching, commenting and reading others comments as the show goes along at 7.30 I've now belatedly realised that to get the full experience you really do need to record and watch (or watch live if your one of our resident night owls!), the late edition, without the keyboard at hand, to get maximum enjoyment. You miss too much otherwise.
This discussion has been closed.