Options

Deal or No Deal (No Spoilers — Part 21)

Comments

• Options
    marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen Kylie live eleven times,the first time at the London Docklands Arena (which no longer exists) on the Enjoy Yourself tour way back in 1990.

However that's still a long way behind the thirty-three times I saw Girls Aloud live.

Well I like Kool and the Gang and have never seen Kylie .... and as for Girls Aloud - words fail me!

Anyhoo, back to DOND .......
  • Options
    Stan MarshStan Marsh Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    Box 19 Please
  • Options
    ramraider1ramraider1 Posts: 14,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stan Marsh wrote: »
    Box 19 Please

Think Strictly has already chosen box 19 Stan

I'll try box 18 , please
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a massive Kylie fan so I'm interested! :D

I like Into The Blue and Get Outta My Way, but my favourite is Can't Get You out Of My Head.
    I remember the night Kylie's first single went to No1 in February 1988. I thought she would be a one hit wonder with I Should Be So Lucky, yet the girl she knocked off the top spot, Tiffany, I thought was going to have a decent pop career! Yet all these years later Kylie's still here.

I wonder which single of hers was his fave, as she's had two No12 hits in the past 5 years, Get Outta My Way in 2010 and Into The Blue last year.

By the way, his talent was not unique...I can recall every UK No1 from 1960 to 2008 easily. A bit less sure in the past 5 years as I've not been paying as much attention. Why oh why did they not ask for a date in December 1993 when Mr Blobby was No1. Too obvious maybe.

I like Kool & The Gang also Marianna, and their great single Too Hot was the playout tune on TOTP 1980 on Thursday night, which gets a repeat very late on Saturday night.

EDIT; Sorry for just noticing I repeated a bit that Sarahsaurus has already done about Kylie's No12's.
  • Options
    SarahsaurusSarahsaurus Posts: 3,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I remember the night Kylie's first single went to No1 in February 1988. I thought she would be a one hit wonder with I Should Be So Lucky, yet the girl she knocked off the top spot, Tiffany, I thought was going to have a decent pop career! Yet all these years later Kylie's still here.

I wonder which single of hers was his fave, as she's had two No12 hits in the past 5 years, Get Outta My Way in 2010 and Into The Blue last year.

By the way, his talent was not unique...I can recall every UK No1 from 1960 to 2008 easily. A bit less sure in the past 5 years as I've not been paying as much attention. Why oh why did they not ask for a date in December 1993 when Mr Blobby was No1. Too obvious maybe.

I like Kool & The Gang also Marianna, and their great single Too Hot was the playout tune on TOTP 1980 on Thursday night, which gets a repeat very late on Saturday night.

EDIT; Sorry for just noticing I repeated a bit that Sarahsaurus has already done about Kylie's No12's.

Tiffany's big hit I Think We're Alone Now was of course covered by Girls Aloud in 2006. The Girls Aloud version was far better,as girlband cover versions are always better than the original. See also The Saturdays version of I Just Can't Get Enough. Also girlband cover versions are also better even when the original was done by another girlband. Thus the Atomic Kitten version of Eternal Flame was better than the Bangles one,and the Girls Aloud version of Jump was obviously superior to the Pointer Sisters one.

However no cover version of a Girls Aloud song can ever be better than their version,even when done by another girlband,because no girlband can ever be better than Girls Aloud were.

Mr Blobby is an interesting No1 in that it was one of the very few where the artist and song had the same name. Usually these are one hit wonders. Another was Doop in the nineties I think.
  • Options
    SmithmanSmithman Posts: 6,184
    Forum Member
    Here are the results of last week's box game.

Well done to Digiremote (winner) and Marianna01 (runner up) and bad luck StrictlyEastend with the wooden spoon.

Box 14 next week please
  • Options
    Stan MarshStan Marsh Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    Box 5 Please
  • Options
    Coupon BoyCoupon Boy Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    Box 4, please.
  • Options
    StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    Smithman wrote: »
    Here are the results of last week's box game.

Well done to Digiremote (winner) and Marianna01 (runner up) and bad luck StrictlyEastend with the wooden spoon.

Box 14 next week please

Well done Digiritemote and Marianna. :)

Crikey, I got the wooden spoon. :(

But it's better than last weeks results when I got just shy of £600 and I didn't get the spoon! :o:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiffany's big hit I Think We're Alone Now was of course covered by Girls Aloud in 2006. The Girls Aloud version was far better,as girlband cover versions are always better than the original. See also The Saturdays version of I Just Can't Get Enough. Also girlband cover versions are also better even when the original was done by another girlband. Thus the Atomic Kitten version of Eternal Flame was better than the Bangles one,and the Girls Aloud version of Jump was obviously superior to the Pointer Sisters one.

However no cover version of a Girls Aloud song can ever be better than their version,even when done by another girlband,because no girlband can ever be better than Girls Aloud were.

Mr Blobby is an interesting No1 in that it was one of the very few where the artist and song had the same name. Usually these are one hit wonders. Another was Doop in the nineties I think.

I need to shout this at you - YOU ARE TONE DEAF if you believe what I've highlighted! :blush::o
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is debatable if you could call it a "mistake",as £15,000 at Box23 still has a positive expectation if you average out the results. Just because it was Nothing does not mean it was the wrong decision to go for it,any more than if it had been Double or +£10,000 would have made it the right decision. However it is certainly the most anybody's ever lost on Box23. It may not be beaten.

2 in excess of £10,000 winners risked all their winnings in the past week. Certainly it's more positive than it was before even though both lost money.

But I doubt we will ever see a seriously big power 5 winner risking his/her winnings on box 23 which is what the producers really want to see and re: Noel keeping rabbiting on about players possibly No dealing all the way and then possibly doubling their winnings to £150,000 or £200,000 e.g. Not that there are many big power 5 winners these days anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    2 in excess of £10,000 winners rismed thejr winnings in the past week. Certainly it's more positive than it was before.

But I doubt we will ever see a seriously big power 5 winner risking his/her winnings on box 23 which is what the producers really want to see and re: Noel keeping rabbiting on about players possibly No dealing all the way and then possibly doubling their winnings to £150,000 or £200,000 e.g. Not that there are many big power 5 winners these days anyway.

The shock of Friday's player blowing his £15,000 winnings to nothing has set back that prospect more than ever, not that the prospect has ever been very high in the first place.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Of course no one in their right mind is going to chance £250.000 on getting nothing.

It's just never going to happen. It's kinda backfired on them as all box 23 is getting used for mainly is a last chance to get something after they have blown the main game.
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Of course, Tiffany's version was a cover as well. It was originally recorded by Tommy James and The Shondells.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkMFLUXTEwM
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, Tiffany's version was a cover as well. It was originally recorded by Tommy James and The Shondells.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkMFLUXTEwM

I had no idea that the Tiffany song was a cover. I certainly don't remember any mention of it being made at the time Tiffany had a No1 with it. Having said that the Tommy James version never charted in the UK.

But the Girls Aloud version is better than this version as well.:)
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course no one in their right mind is going to chance £250.000 on getting nothing.

It's just never going to happen. It's kinda backfired on them as all box 23 is getting used for mainly is a last chance to get something after they have blown the main game.

Mainly being a key word as we've seen 2 x 5 figure winners come away with half and nothing last week, and a £10,000 winner going home with £20,000.

But indeed the fact that Noel has constantly hyped up a potential £500,000 jackpot, or a £65,000 deal possibly becoming a £130,000 prize and nobody has went for box 23 or indeed ever will ever go for it is proof that it's far from the resounding success the producers had hoped for. Obviously if it was their intention of box 23 of seeing big money winners of the £30,000 + variety risking their winnings on going away with possibly double or nothing in a dramatic climax, Noel is of course bound to keep going on and on about it umpteen times per show including off the cuff more than once per show. I can see a the odd £20,000 winner risking it on box 23 but that will be the limit I would imagine.

One thing's for sure, Noel will never admit box 23 has not been the spectacular success they'd hoped.
  • Options
    ramraider1ramraider1 Posts: 14,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 500k jackpot is almost certainly never going to happen. With 250k winnings ,the only option which is meaningful when considering box 23 is Double. You have 1 chance in 5 of getting double. The odds are stacked against you. No change and +10k are not worth the risk of buying box 23.

I would love to be proved wrong, but I doubt we will ever see a half million won on DOND.
  • Options
    digiremotedigiremote Posts: 3,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Box 2 please.
  • Options
    RegTumblerRegTumbler Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Box 20 please.
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I have the death box next week please, good old number 22
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had no idea that the Tiffany song was a cover. I certainly don't remember any mention of it being made at the time Tiffany had a No1 with it. Having said that the Tommy James version never charted in the UK.

But the Girls Aloud version is better than this version as well.:)

It was mentioned lots at the time in '88. I knew it was a cover of Tommy James & The Shondells.

As for Curls Allowed....:blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was mentioned lots at the time in '88. I knew it was a cover of Tommy James & The Shondells.

As for Curls Allowed....:blush:

Curls Allowed was the name of the salon in The Show video,released in 2004. In which Nicola played Chelsea Tanner,Cheryl was Maxi Wax,Nadine was Frenchie,Sarah was Supa Styler and Kimberley was The Boss.

It will probably come as no surprise to you that I knew all that from memory,I didn't look it up.

It is a pity you are unable to see how good Girls Aloud were.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Curls Allowed was the name of the salon in The Show video,released in 2004. In which Nicola played Chelsea Tanner,Cheryl was Maxi Wax,Nadine was Frenchie,Sarah was Supa Styler and Kimberley was The Boss.

It will probably come as no surprise to you that I knew all that from memory,I didn't look it up.

It is a pity you are unable to see how good Girls Aloud were.
    I'll grant you an admission Sarahsaurus, I've got one of theirs on my iPod. The hit single they had in the very first month that DOND was on air, their No4 hit from November 2005, Biology. Just don't tell me their covers are better, please! I'll Stand By You by The Pretenders is the supreme version.

In two weeks time when we next get box choices you ought to do what the player on Friday did with his favourite Kylie track, and pick a box to play based on the chart position of your favourite Girls Aloud single. I may do the same for one of my favourite artists too, leaving it up to Smithman to work out the box number with some research! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll grant you an admission Sarahsaurus, I've got one of theirs on my iPod. The hit single they had in the very first month that DOND was on air, their No4 hit from November 2005, Biology. Just don't tell me their covers are better, please! I'll Stand By You by The Pretenders is the supreme version.

In two weeks time when we next get box choices you ought to do what the player on Friday did with his favourite Kylie track, and pick a box to play based on the chart position of your favourite Girls Aloud single. I may do the same for one of my favourite artists too, leaving it up to Smithman to work out the box number with some research! :p

As you know I do not play the box game because I regard it as pointless.

I am not sure what my favourite Girls Aloud single would be. Call The Shots,maybe. There are no bad Girls Aloud singles.

But Biology would certainly be up near the top.

You should watch the video on YouTube. Look out for the continuity error in the chorus where Kimberley's shoes change from black to red and back again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As you know I do not play the box game because I regard it as pointless.
    I understand, I hold the same view of Girls Aloud fandom. :D
This discussion has been closed.