Options

Radio 2 playing Radio 1 music

Comments

• Options
    wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never heard of 'em. And I can't even begin to take a group called 'First Aid Kit' seriously.

How on earth can you slag off artists you haven't heard??

Makes you look foolish, and adds nothing to this thread.
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,380
    Forum Member
    If you haven't heard of them how do you they are not worth listening to? Very little on the little Radio 2 playlist is suitable for Radio 1.
    You mention Johnnie Walker well he has throughout his career played unknown artists and brought them to a bigger audience. That is what the Radio 2 playlist is doing. Not everybody wants to live in a permanent time warp.

Johnnie Walker does Sounds of the 70's which doesn't feature new stuff off the playlist.

Sorry but I really aren't interested in the new music nowadays I have heard some of them on other stations but find they have little appeal.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amara wrote: »
    Johnnie Walker does Sounds of the 70's which doesn't feature new stuff off the playlist.

Sorry but I really aren't interested in the new music nowadays I have heard some of them on other stations but find they have little appeal.
    But in the 70's and 80's Johnnie was playing alot of unknown artists. Even in his days on the drivetime show on Radio 2 he was playing new music by new artists. What do you expect the Radio 2 playlist to have? A load of old 70's hits?
  • Options
    Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just compared the playlists of Radio 1 and Radio 2 and as you can see, there is very little crossover.
    http://comparemyradio.com/compare/BBC_Radio_1/BBC_Radio_2

Interestingly I would say that the Mark Ronson track is suitable to be played on both stations, but I am surprised that both have played the Meghan Trainor so much, as I would class as a Radio 1 track.

I can't see Radio 1 or many commerical stations going anywhere near Take That, Texas, The Shires, Black Star Riders (Thin Lizzy by a new name and with a new singer) AC/DC, David Gray, First Aid Kit, Gretchen Peters, Neil Diamond, Si Cranstoun, Status Quo, Andy Burrows, Dolly Parton, Jools Holland And Melanie C, Lady Antebellum, Ward Thomas & Vince Gill and The Overtones on the same playlist, so I think Radio 2 are doing a bloody good job.

There needs to be a little bit of crossover, otherwise we will end with a situation like 20 years ago, when Radio 1 changed but Radio 2 was still playing 'light' music.
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny how the critics don't tell us what they would rather hear in place of the 3 news songs an hour on average?

As I say every time this subject rears it's ugly head, perhaps someone can tell me at what age you are supposed to end any interest in new music? Just so I can buy a Dave Dee, Dozy Beaky Mick and Tich album and play it on repeat till I die.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never heard of 'em. And I can't even begin to take a group called 'First Aid Kit' seriously.

Is this some kind of bizarre wind-up?

A highly respected folk band from Sweden, who've worked with Conor Oberst and Jack White amongst others and named their second album after a Robert Frost poem and you can't take them seriously? What do you want from Radio 2 - Wagner's Ring Cycle?
  • Options
    Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    Funny how the critics don't tell us what they would rather hear in place of the 3 news songs an hour on average?

As I say every time this subject rears it's ugly head, perhaps someone can tell me at what age you are supposed to end any interest in new music? Just so I can buy a Dave Dee, Dozy Beaky Mick and Tich album and play it on repeat till I die.

Please god, never let that day arrive for me. Thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I for one have never heard of First Aid Kit, Meghan Trainor, Jack Savoretti's, Ward Thomas, Vince Gill or the Shires. I may have heard them but they make no impression on me as new music is mainly no longer of interest to me. It literally is here today gone tomorrow insignificant to me. I don't mind Ellie Goulding, Lady Antebelium and the Overtones or George Ezra but they have been around a while now.

You ask what I like well I much prefer music from the 50's to the 80's including rock music both heavy & light. I am not saying that Radio 2 should change format as I can hear 50's to 80's elsewhere its just that as a 50 something Radio 2 has little appeal to me. Its a very popular station but not for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I for one have never heard of First Aid Kit, Meghan Trainor, Jack Savoretti's, Ward Thomas, Vince Gill or the Shires. I may have heard them but they make no impression on me as new music is mainly no longer of interest to me. It literally is here today gone tomorrow insignificant to me. I don't mind Ellie Goulding, Lady Antebelium and the Overtones or George Ezra but they have been around a while now.

You ask what I like well I much prefer music from the 50's to the 80's including rock music both heavy & light. I am not saying that Radio 2 should change format as I can hear 50's to 80's elsewhere its just that as a 50 something Radio 2 has little appeal to me. Its a very popular station but not for me.
    But you can hear old music inbetween the new tracks on the playlist. The playlist isn't all you hear across the day. It is a small selection of new tracks that get rotated across the day. If you are not open to hearing a few tracks you have not heard of before then Radio 2 isn't for you and that hasn't got anything to do with age.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I for one have never heard of First Aid Kit, Meghan Trainor, Jack Savoretti's, Ward Thomas, Vince Gill or the Shires.

I suspect I maybe older than you, yet I think The Shires are pure quality, and Ward Thomas are as good as ANY Nashville based country act!

Seriously, you are missing out on some really good artists by blanking them!
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Black Crow wrote: »
    Please god, never let that day arrive for me. Thanks

Too true. I try to expand my musical taste and discover a new band almost every day.
    But you can hear old music inbetween the new tracks on the playlist. The playlist isn't all you hear across the day. It is a small selection of new tracks that get rotated across the day. If you are not open to hearing a few tracks you have not heard of before then Radio 2 isn't for you and that hasn't got anything to do with age.

Indeed, 9 new songs in 150 minutes is hardly forcing chart stuff down your throat and what's wrong with hearing new stuff?

Closed minds don't begin to describe some people.
    wckartist wrote: »
    I suspect I maybe older than you, yet I think The Shires are pure quality, and Ward Thomas are as good as ANY Nashville based country act!

Seriously, you are missing out on some really good artists by blanking them!

I am really looking forward to hearing The Shires new album in 2 weeks time.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds like people on here want Radio 2 to be a pipe and slipper and bluerinse station.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    It sounds like people on here want Radio 2 to be a pipe and slipper and bluerinse station.

As you will see in a post above I don't listen much I am probably in the minority I can hear what I like elsewhere so I aren't that bothered. Its not just the music I don't like Evans, Wright, Norton, O'Leary or many of the fills so all round Radio 2 really isn't to my taste. I can live without it thanks.:)
  • Options
    GeordieyodelGeordieyodel Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm late 30s, have made the transition from Radio 1 to 2 over the last few years post Moyles, as I find most chart music noisy drivel now. I've been surprised to here more and more dance music and RnB from the last 20 years recently; I personally don't mind, but did find it bizarre to switch on in the car the other day to hear Will Smith 'Miami' on Chris Evans. It's that very random variety that makes it a great station. And unlike some other moaners, I accept that I won't like everything but enjoy the surprise of the variety. You can never predict what you will hear next, new or old, and that's the main reason I listen, rather than the same old rotation on most commercial stations.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    I'm definitely in the demographic for R2 at 56. I love the mix of music old + new. Pleased they played Mark Ronson/Bruno Mars as it was a good track. In the old days we only heard slow tempo numbers which gets rather dreary. I don't expect to like every song on the Play List + don't expect to, but appreciate the diversity. I want to hear new music from both new + established acts as well as hearing classic songs plus a few obscurities.

The Frances Line era, which I remember, was painful! No surprise shed loads of listeners were lost.
  • Options
    sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As you will see in a post above I don't listen much I am probably in the minority I can hear what I like elsewhere so I aren't that bothered. Its not just the music I don't like Evans, Wright, Norton, O'Leary or many of the fills so all round Radio 2 really isn't to my taste. I can live without it thanks.:)

It comes down to taste.If you are into Sounds of the ? & Pick of the pops you most likely listen to Ken Bruce. On the music front R2 has a good mix but it could do with a gold format sister station like RTE Gold with a broad playlist with music from the 50's to 80's. Radio 1 /1 Extra are for younger listeners with 6 music a crossover.

Also I feel R2 relays heavy on people from TV like Norton, O'Leary & O'Grady would be nice to hear some BBC local radio folk at the weekend but I guess that is uncool.
  • Options
    nikobatallonesnikobatallones Posts: 4,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To those who have not heard of First Aid Kit, lemme help you all out.

http://youtu.be/9gDUZejkARU

You're welcome.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To those who have not heard of First Aid Kit, lemme help you all out.

http://youtu.be/9gDUZejkARU

You're welcome.

They really are good, and suit the R2 style!

Also discovered Judith Owen through listening to Bob Harris too, she has a great voice!
  • Options
    pjexpjex Posts: 9,423
    Forum Member
    This morning on my drive to work Radio 2 played, Stereophonics Mr Writer and then Ella Henderson Ghost, two great songs which sounded perfect for Radio 2 at that time of day, whilst the Ghost track would also fit Radio 1 I think it works perfectly for Radio 2.
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 41 and I really wish I still did like a lot of chart music, but nothing that much really appeals from what I hear on radio 2 and 6 music, though I accept it probably appeals to some listeners.

Looking at that list of crossover songs, it's clear to me that it only works one way. I'm happy to proved wrong, but I'm pretty sure that radio 1 rarely, if ever, plays a classic 60s/70s or even 80s song, so why is that? Surely it works both ways - if it's wrong to assume anyone over 29 doesn't wants to hear chart songs then it's just as wrong to assume that anyone younger only wants to hear chart music.
  • Options
    merrim01merrim01 Posts: 2,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Radio 2 have got things right at the moment as older listeners do like some 'chart' music mixed with vintage stuff. There is a very strong difference between Radio 1 and 2's playlist, Radio 1 play a lot of heavy rock which you'd never hear on Radio 2 along with 'dance/house' tracks which don't tend to get much airtime on Radio 2. I'm not quite ready for Radio 2 yet as I'm 28 but am coming towards the end of the Radio 1 demographic. I will stick with Radio 1 for as long as I enjoy the music as they play a good mix of music. Radio 2 moved nicely away from Frances Line's approach which was quite 'geriatric' at the time especially when Radio 1 had re-positioned itself in 1993, Radio 2 should have been modernised at the same time to avoid the loss of all those listeners to commercial radio. Do Radio 2 feature any 50s tracks in daytime now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ClareB wrote: »
    I'm 41 and I really wish I still did like a lot of chart music, but nothing that much really appeals from what I hear on radio 2 and 6 music, though I accept it probably appeals to some listeners.

Looking at that list of crossover songs, it's clear to me that it only works one way. I'm happy to proved wrong, but I'm pretty sure that radio 1 rarely, if ever, plays a classic 60s/70s or even 80s song, so why is that? Surely it works both ways - if it's wrong to assume anyone over 29 doesn't wants to hear chart songs then it's just as wrong to assume that anyone younger only wants to hear chart music.
    6 Music doesn't play chart music. Alot of the recent stuff on Radio 2 isn't chart music either. New or recent music doesn't necessarily equal chart music.
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to say I don't really know what makes the charts or not apart - aside from a handful of big artists - when it comes to the new stuff radio 2 plays. Of course I know that 6 music plays less mainstreams stuff - it's just a shame they moved Radcliffe and Maconie so I have to listen to them there.
  • Options
    G.F.M.G.F.M. Posts: 4,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting. Some of the most critical posters on this thread usually pop up on 'Radio Caroline' type items. Sorry lads, dont think R2 are going to play a diet of Yes and Caravan tracks any time soon.
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,250
    Forum Member
    Trouble is that now towns have lost their record shops I am no longer able to keep up with new acts - the 'just released' shelves introduced me to some great artists before they got to be 'famous'. The days of HMV and the hand written white label 12's seems long ago and that is a shame as I love to support new music. Whilst the Radio 2 playlist may include some new music it is often fleeting and many times the artist name and track are not given so I miss out again. At least with Yes and ELO I can guess the artist from the sound and go from there.