Options

Man charged in connection with Alan Barnes assault

ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
Forum Member
http://www.northumbria.police.uk/news_and_events/news/details.asp?id=103429&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Police investigating an attempted robbery on Gateshead man Alan Barnes have charged a man.

25-year-old Richard Gatiss, of Gateshead, was arrested in the early hours of Monday, February 9, and has been charged with assault with intent to rob.

He will appear at Gateshead Magistrates' Court on Tuesday, February 10.

Mr Barnes, 67, suffered a broken collar bone in the incident, which happened around 6.30pm, on Sunday, January 25, on Hillside Place in Gateshead.

Gateshead Area Commander Chief Superintendent Andy McDyer said: "I'd like to reassure people that since this happened we've been relentless in our investigation and in following up lines of enquiry.

"In the early hours of Monday officers made an arrest in connection with the investigation and this man has now been charged and is progressing through the court process."

Sorry, can't find original thread

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Violence is bad, M'kay.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Violence is bad, M'kay.

Yes it is. It's especially nasty when carried out against disabled pensioners.

It's this story btw
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2939218/Disabled-pensioner-Alan-Barnes-STOPS-online-fund-raising-money-total-reaches-329-000.html
  • Options
    Softie-CynicSoftie-Cynic Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Great news. I'm glad the police made the effort on this one.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done the police.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent news! The perp aptly named I see.

I also noticed that £300,000 has been raised in donations for Mr Barnes - does my heart good to hear that. I hope the money helps in some way restoring Mr Barnes' faith and trust in people. Wishing him a safe, secure and happier future.xxx
  • Options
    TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    Excellent news!

I also noticed that £300,000 has been raised in donations for Mr Barnes - does my heart good to hear that. I hope the money helps in some way restoring Mr Barnes' faith and trust in people. Wishing him a safe, secure and happier future.xxx

See now THIS type of fundraising I'm all about :):):)
    Hope the ****er who did this to him feels mortified!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TeganRhan wrote: »
    See now THIS type of fundraising I'm all about :):):)
    Hope the ****er who did this to him feels mortified!

Sub-humans rarely have feelings. Mind you I suppose, if he gets jail time, there'll be one or two around to teach him the error of his ways ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sub-humans rarely have feelings. Mind you I suppose, if he gets jail time, there'll be one or two around to teach him the error of his ways ;-)

I'm not much one for religion, but I'll make an exception in this case and pray for that outcome...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TeganRhan wrote: »
    I'm not much one for religion, but I'll make an exception in this case and pray for that outcome...

Karma.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good, the poor disabled guy must have been terrified.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Good, the poor disabled guy must have been terrified.

Doesn't bear thinking about, poor soul. I hope he can, in time, put it behind him.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't bear thinking about, poor soul. I hope he can, in time, put it behind him.

This is where the money will be useful, as the poor bloke refuses to go back home, so a nice new house will be just the ticket for him....

Good luck in the future Alan......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    This is where the money will be useful, as the poor bloke refuses to go back home, so a nice new house will be just the ticket for him....

I'm not surprised he didn't want to go home, can you imagine?
    I'm a semi healthy able body 28 year old...and I think that would have shaken me hard, let alone this guy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »

Bless him. Thrilled when I noticed how much had been raised in donations, people rallying around never ceases to amaze me.
  • Options
    mark6226mark6226 Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Well done the police. If found guilty, lets hope this animal gets the maximum jail sentence and a bit of honour amongst police retribution dished out to him in jail.
    To attack anyone is appalling, but to attack a severely disabled elderly person is truly disgusting. Some people in society lose all rights to be treated decently as a human beings. Sorry for the rant but the cowardly animals who commit this type are the lowest of the low.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sincerely hope he incurs a substantial jail sentence.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    He's probably sitting in a cell bleating about his human rights and how it's everyone's fault but his.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good news. Now let's hope they catch the bastard scum who robbed the old woman who had been killed by a lorry in Greater Manchester.