Options

Broadchurch - Series 2

Comments

• Options
    iamianiamian Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jende wrote: »
    - Claire is a rubbish hairdresser, Ellie's hair looked no different from normal!.

Haha! Nice one.

What a desperate ploy.

Ellie meets Claire randomly, in another random Broadchurch field. "I tell you more if I can do your hair!" OK, bit bizarre...

...otherwise pointless scene so Ellie can accidentally see pendant in Claire's portfolio. Yeah, right.

Wouldn't the portfolio be of her clients rather than herself?

robbleona wrote: »
    I liked the look of her in EP1...since then I have lost interest. Was that her first meeting on screen with Olly last night? Like everything else in this series it looked thrown together with no particular thought. Ellie getting her hair done (and still in a mess after) in a field by crazy claire, was also contrived. I expected this episode to be a 'step forward' from the past two or three...but in fact it was another sideways crawl. Claire in a hoodie breaking in to the car at the end to grab the pendant also seemed far-fetched. When HARDY flat-lined in the op theatre it summed up this series aptly.
    It just isn't a patch off the first series. We have reached EPISODE SIX for goodness sake, and nothing of interest or relevance has happened!!

Perfect assessment, thanks!

deans6571 wrote: »
    ...I really do not understand why people like you even bother to watch the show,if you are gonna just come on here and slate it. Don't like the program - thats fine. Whats the point in telling everyone else you hate it as well? Jesus *rolleyessmiley*

If "nothing of interest or relevance has happened" for you - why are you still here?!? SWITCH OVER FFS......!!!

Because this isn't a Broadchurch 2 appreciation thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    feckit wrote: »
    I reckon:-

Joe Miller will get found not guilty and walks free from court.
    He will then meet Ellie alone and admit he did do it but there is nothing she can do so she kills him in a fit of rage.

Claire Ripley only fancies Lee Ashworth because she thinks he is the real murderer in the Sandbrook case and is turned on by that.

Cate Gillespie will be found out to be the real killer in the Sanbrook case after her daughter caught her sleeping with Lee Ashworth.

The son of Sharon Bishop QC who is in prison will turn out to be a sub plot for Broadchurch series 3.

I can see that happening.

I'm more interested in Sandbrook than the Danny trial. I'm even beginning to question Alec's ex-wife's innocence now. I think Claire has been too obvious throughout the series, and even more so after last night's ending for her to be the killer. I think the big twist with her will be her advances towards the older Sandbrook girl (even Lee won't have known she was that way inclined) but at this moment in time, I don't foresee her being revealed as the killer.

They seem to like their flashbacks in this series, so perhaps we'll see Cate leaving from her meeting with Beth in Series 1 and walking through the path that Hardy and Ellie deduced the killer would know would be quiet, hinting at Cate being the killer. I wouldn't rule out an appearance from Psychic Steve either. He had access to a van too, so who knows; he may have helped dump the body/bodies of the Sandbrook girls and was talking to Hardy in S1 out of guilt.

Also, I find Eve Myles attractive and feel she's more than suitable as the kinky character she's playing.
  • Options
    Pamela_Armstro1Pamela_Armstro1 Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    robbleona wrote: »
    I liked the look of her in EP1...since then I have lost interest. Was that her first meeting on screen with Olly last night? Like everything else in this series it looked thrown together with no particular thought. Ellie getting her hair done (and still in a mess after) in a field by crazy claire, was also contrived. I expected this episode to be a 'step forward' from the past two or three...but in fact it was another sideways crawl. Claire in a hoodie breaking in to the car at the end to grab the pendant also seemed far-fetched. When HARDY flat-lined in the op theatre it summed up this series aptly.
    It just isn't a patch off the first series. We have reached EPISODE SIX for goodness sake, and nothing of interest or relevance has happened!!

Viewing figures would seem to indicate that you are wrong. The series is very popular
    - whether you like it or not.
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ella71110 wrote: »
    I don't know if I'd call it sexually frustrated when she gets off on him about to hit her or strangle her and likes been tied up by him,:p

All a bit 50 shades of Grey
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Claire is a dreadful character, Eve Myles cannot pull off sexy, and the scenes with her and Lee are contrived and not believable.

I enjoy this if i ignore all the Sandbrooke nonsense.

She so can Eve Myles is a milf
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Viewing figures would seem to indicate that you are wrong. The series is very popular

Popular, yes but viewing figures are declining as the weeks go on and well short of those for the first series. and are now eclipsed by those on other channels in the same slot, such as Silent Witness.

Hardly a glowing endorsement, is it?
  • Options
    diplodocusdiplodocus Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    iamian wrote: »
    Haha! Nice one.

What a desperate ploy.

Ellie meets Claire randomly, in another random Broadchurch field. "I tell you more if I can do your hair!" OK, bit bizarre...

...otherwise pointless scene so Ellie can accidentally see pendant in Claire's portfolio. Yeah, right.

Wouldn't the portfolio be of her clients rather than herself?

It wasn't a random field or a chance encounter. It was beside Claire's house, Ellie went there to see if Claire would open up to her now that Hardy had cut her off. That was the point of their plan.
  • Options
    andybrizandybriz Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    Amethyzt wrote: »
    Veronica dying ( Jocelyn's mother ) could be she may have to ask for leave of absence from the trial ?
    This would be plausible in real life, however with only a couple episodes to go, I'm not sure they will/can delay the court case.

I'm still loving it. I think it's brilliant, and I'm enjoying Sandbrook more than Broadchurch to be honest. I think Claire is brilliant and really interesting, and I'd much rather be watching her and this story than the solicitors arguing with each other, or hearing about everything we already know and watched last series relayed in court. Although I am finding this interesting as well, but I am enjoying the Sandbrook scenes more.

Thoughts on Sandbrook..

What we know: Lisa was babysitting Pippa whilst Ricky and Cate were at their friends wedding. Lee and Claire were next door. Claire said she went out that night, came home, was drugged and awoke early to find Lee cleaning the house. Lisas phone was used at 5pm to call her mum in Portsmouth.

Unless I've missed something people seem to think Lee went to France that day or the next day, however the day after the disappearance of the girls, we see him at home in the garden with Claire. I believe he only went to France after people thought he murdered the girls?

So I guess something happens along the lines of ...
    the parents leave for the wedding in the morning. Lisa heads next door to try and seduce Lee whilst Claire is out on a hair appointment - Claire possibly invites Pippa along with her to the appointment. They return home and catch them in the act, Claire kills Lisa in a jealous rage, Pippa runs away into the woods where she trips and falls into the lake and dies. Claire goes after her but leaves when she sees what happened. Claire comes up with a plan where Lee will take Lisas body somewhere to dispose of via a ferry port where he will make a call on her phone to make it look like she has run away. Pendant falls off in his car which is later found by police. Claire cleans house. Later steals pendant back as it has her prints on, as it used to be hers and doesn't want to be implicated.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    iamian wrote: »
    Popular, yes but viewing figures are declining as the weeks go on and well short of those for the first series. and are now eclipsed by those on other channels in the same slot, such as Silent Witness.

Hardly a glowing endorsement, is it?

Indeed, it doesn't have a great deal to compete with on a Monday night does it? Silent Witness has beaten it every week and in my opinion it's not a patch on what it was.

It's been pretty clear from the weekly reviews that season two has been poorly received, at least compared to the first.
  • Options
    shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Loved the first series and its style.. Broadchurch 2 ..different style but equally compelling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not sure if it's been mentioned but when Claire met Lee at his 'house,' after Alec had asked her to leave, the dialogue seemed to imply to me that her being afraid of him...him going to France...her witness protection etc....was planned bwteeen them

LEE "we need to make a plan".
    CLAIRE "We had a plan and you screwed it."
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andybriz wrote: »
    This would be plausible in real life, however with only a couple episodes to go, I'm not sure they will/can delay the court case.

I'm still loving it. I think it's brilliant, and I'm enjoying Sandbrook more than Broadchurch to be honest. I think Claire is brilliant and really interesting, and I'd much rather be watching her and this story than the solicitors arguing with each other, or hearing about everything we already know and watched last series relayed in court. Although I am finding this interesting as well, but I am enjoying the Sandbrook scenes more.

Thoughts on Sandbrook..

What we know: Lisa was babysitting Pippa whilst Ricky and Cate were at their friends wedding. Lee and Claire were next door. Claire said she went out that night, came home, was drugged and awoke early to find Lee cleaning the house. Lisas phone was used at 5pm to call her mum in Portsmouth.

Unless I've missed something people seem to think Lee went to France that day or the next day, however the day after the disappearance of the girls, we see him at home in the garden with Claire. I believe he only went to France after people thought he murdered the girls?

the parents leave for the wedding in the morning. Lisa heads next door to try and seduce Lee whilst Claire is out on a hair appointment - Claire possibly invites Pippa along with her to the appointment. They return home and catch them in the act, Claire kills Lisa in a jealous rage, Pippa runs away into the woods where she trips and falls into the lake and dies. Claire goes after her but leaves when she sees what happened. Claire comes up with a plan where Lee will take Lisas body somewhere to dispose of via a ferry port where he will make a call on her phone to make it look like she has run away. Pendant falls off in his car which is later found by police. Claire cleans house. Later steals pendant back as it has her prints on, as it used to be hers and doesn't want to be implicated.

We have quite a lot about this in flashbacks as well, from hardy, cate, Claire and Ricky, though we have no idea of the veracity of the flashbacks.

Hardy seems to have slept with Claire, possibly on rebound from his wife cheating.

Cate and ashworth flirted.

Lisa hated Cate and said so to Claire.

My crackpot theory is that Lisa and Claire worked together to kill Pippa to punish her mum. I think Claire is kinky and psycho enough to be happy with another woman in bed on her own terms, but not flirting or having sex without her consent.

I still think it's possible Lisa is alive, and may have been trying to frame Cate.

I also think Claire wearing the pendant in the picture in the portfolio only makes sense if she had it for some reason BEFORE it was given to Pippa. Whether she killed her or not, why would she keep and wear evidence she had stolen?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Episode six of Broadchurch brought in 6.2 million viewers.
    Alison Graham (surely the reviewer one could expect to be the programme's most trenchant critic) consistently praises both the acting and the narrative mechanisms

There will doubtless be a third series and I have little doubt that all those little armchair critics who line up to spew venom here will be watching it too.
    Cathartic perhaps ?
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andybriz wrote: »

Thoughts on Sandbrook..

Spoiler as responding to your spoilered speculation but just a question

I thought the necklace was Pippa's not Lisa's?
  • Options
    via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you actually check the viewing figures?
    Or is this wishful thinking?

Sure, figures indicate that millions may still be watching the program, but they also indicate that millions have turned off.
    It lost out to Silent Witness, and now, even up against a repeat of New Tricks, it still struggled to improve.

I'm not gloating here by the way. I'm disappointed.
    Broadchurch series 1 wasn't brilliant, but it was at least a good, watchable whodunnit with a reasonably decent plot line.
    This series is just one big muddle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You mean Silent 'acting by numbers' Witness where pathologists run round investigating crimes like cops ? Last time I bumped into it, the story was about scientific types grappling with demonic possession. In fact the story was nicked directly from The Exorcist, with Adrian Dunbar playing a psychiatrist proxy for the eponymous priest. Mr Dunbar even hurled himself off a high building to his death like the priest in The Exorcist.

You see virtue where I see only cod acting and the laziest of storytelling allied to major credibility failure - but hey, each to his own.
    Oh you people !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Episode six of Broadchurch brought in 6.2 million viewers.

Yes, but you're not placing that into any context.

Compare 6.2 million with series one, which averaged 9.2 million viewers per episode, and I think it's pretty clear that the second series is struggling, in context.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You mean Silent 'acting by numbers' Witness where pathologists run round investigating crimes like cops ? Last time I bumped into it, the story was about scientific types grappling with demonic possession. In fact the story was nicked directly from The Exorcist, with Adrian Dunbar playing a psychiatrist proxy for the eponymous priest.

The laziest of storytelling allied with major credibility failure - but hey, each to his own. Oh you people !

I agree, but then it's beaten Broardchurch in terms of audience share week on week, which tells you everything about series 2.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    via_487 wrote: »
    Did you actually check the viewing figures?
    Or is this wishful thinking?

Sure, figures indicate that millions may still be watching the program, but they also indicate that millions have turned off.
    It lost out to Silent Witness, and now, even up against a repeat of New Tricks, it still struggled to improve.

I'm not gloating here by the way. I'm disappointed.
    Broadchurch series 1 wasn't brilliant, but it was at least a good, watchable whodunnit with a reasonably decent plot line.
    This series is just one big muddle.

It hasn't lost millions of viewers. Only in the overnights. The viewing figures are roughly the same as series one. The only difference is a lot of viewers are choosing to watch on catch up compared to last series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    What is the connection with Charlotte the lawyer and the broadchurch journalist with the blonde hair ?? Are they old friends or relatives or even former partners ? They seem to know each other really well ?
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, but you're not placing that into any context.

Compare 6.2 million with series one, which averaged 9.2 million viewers per episode, and I think it's pretty clear that the second series is struggling, in context.

You're not comparing apples with apples. That 6.2 million is just an overnight rating. The 9.2m for the last series you've quoted is the official rating that includes anyone who watched it within 7 days. Last night's episode will be close to or even at 9 million officially, so the numbers are actually about the same overall as series 1. The first 4 episodes of series 2 (the ones we have numbers for so far) averaged 9.4m officially. The series overall should go on to average about 9 million. It's still a very popular show indeed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Episodes 3 and 4 of Broadchurch consolidated at 8.7m - down on the consolidated (got that ?) figures for Series One but not by any significant amount. To quote Alison Graham again, 'Don't listen to the doubters - Broadchurch is packing 'em in with good audience figures and plots that still have the power to enthral...'
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJW13 wrote: »
    I thought usually in a trial the prosecution made their case and then the defence responded? This case seems to alternate prosecution and defence witnesses.
    Fangster wrote: »

Also, I know we've probably all given up on the trial making any kind of sense but unless I'm missing something we had:

Prosecution presents case and calls witnesses
    Defence rebuts case and calls witnesses
    Defence lawyers: "I can't beleive it, they (the prosecution) have called Mark"

eh? I though the prosecution had finished?

I think what happened is that the prosecution put forward their case with their witnesses, then the defence did theirs with their witnesses, but because they hadn't been expected to call Susan and throw suspicion on Mark and Nige, the prosecution were then allowed to call Mark as a "rebuttal witness". (Sorry, I can't remember who decided to call Nige!) The phrase "rebuttal witness" was definitely muttered at some point.
    feckit wrote: »
    I reckon:-

Claire Ripley only fancies Lee Ashworth because she thinks he is the real murderer in the Sandbrook case and is turned on by that.
    But weren't they already married before the murder(s)? So she must have already fancied him?
  • Options
    FlowesFlowes Posts: 7,014
    Forum Member
    Chazmaxi wrote: »
    What is the connection with Charlotte the lawyer and the broadchurch journalist with the blonde hair ?? Are they old friends or relatives or even former partners ? They seem to know each other really well ?

The relationship hasn't been explained to us