Options

Neighbour asking to store stuff in our garage - am I being unreasonable?

Comments

• Options
    JackKlugmanJackKlugman Posts: 5,362
    Forum Member
    The neighbours sound like cheeky chancers. You were right to say no.
  • Options
    SuesSues Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am probably old fashioned but we use our garage for the car. No room for neighbours' unwanted articles.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely, unless they put their car in there, they have enough space in there own garage to physically put the items in?. Unless as others have probably said, they just want an empty garage of their own?.

I'd also be inclined to suggest they either get a garden shed or one of those garden storage container or garage like things in the short term.

Personally if we had a garage, even completely or mostly empty I'd want it kept that way as either a man cave, play room for kids or workshop.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The "unopened wedding presents" are almost certainly either stolen goods, drugs, guns or human body parts, which they don't want to be found on their property. Keep well away from them and think about upgrading your home security.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    OP,
    Your new neighbours are f*cking knob-heads; new to the area and already making enemies.

They are the type of people who firmly believe that their ‘reasonable and appealing proposition’ should have immediate and equal appeal to you also; regardless of any adverse consequence to you.

Narcissists have their own selfish view on ALL aspects of life and ALWAYS (without exception!) react badly when others don’t fall into line with their one-sided, completely unreasonable, expectations.

Narcissists can often outwardly appear to be very charming and sociable but they are ALWAYS inveterate liars. They invariably embellish, exaggerate or even invent situations (e.g. you went ballistic!) to bolster their own stance.

Keep them at arm’s length....permanently.

Do not attempt to build bridges; if you do it’s pretty much guaranteed you’ll live to regret it.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When we moved here first thing dad did was buy a shed even though its just a temporary
    place. Sorry what a bloody nerve this person had, sounds like blanking is the best idea if they can ask that so soon what next?
  • Options
    PuddinPuddin Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    What a bloody cheek! You are absolutely not in the wrong here, in fact, you handled it with much more grace than many of us would!
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    How do you know they won't be storing drugs or weapons? I would keep a wide berth from these people.
  • Options
    YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    dave9946 wrote: »
    Surely, unless they put their car in there, they have enough space in there own garage to physically put the items in?

Well, it's not entirely unknown : http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/garage

This forum is growing increasingly like a parallel universe.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yosemite wrote: »
    Well, it's not entirely unknown : http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/garage

This forum is growing increasingly like a parallel universe.

It's well known that most people with garages don't bother to put their cars in them. It's too much trouble usually (maybe with a double-width garage and automatic door opening...). Actually most people around here don't even bother putting cars on drives.

(And I wouldn't be surprised if keeping a car in a garage would put up your insurance premium, with the crazy way they work.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bart4858 wrote: »
    It's well known that most people with garages don't bother to put their cars in them.

Is it? Most people? Do you have a source?
    It's too much trouble usually (maybe with a double-width garage and automatic door opening...).

Ah - that must explain why I use mine.
    Actually most people around here don't even bother putting cars on drives.

No doubt this helps to ignite the "parking wars" which are so often reported on this forum. You know the sort of thing - "My effing neighbour parks in my space/across my drive/on the pavement" etc.
    (And I wouldn't be surprised if keeping a car in a garage would put up your insurance premium, with the crazy way they work.)

Confused.com seem to think so too, but their reasoning seems a bit tenuous to me, not to mention politically incorrect apropos the female gender (which I'm not) given that the difference in the reported quotes for the hypothetical 28 year olds parking their cars in garages were actually greater for men than women:

"Based on a 28 year old woman living in a busy street in Cardiff, the best quote for parking in a garage was 9% more expensive than parking on a road. And for men of the same profile it was 12% higher.

On average there is less than 1% difference between roadside premium for men of this age, and it’s actually 3% more expensive for women to park in a garage.

Will Thomas, head of car insurance at Confused.com, says:
    “While 8% admit to not being honest about keeping their cars in garages I’m sure there are many more who won’t confess. Thousands of motorists could be paying more for their insurance than they need to be.
    “While every insurer rates differently and it’s hard to be certain about why this is the case, it is likely to be because the risk of a car being stolen or hit while parked on a street or driveway is lower than the risk of an accidents that happen in garages. The reason women might see a bigger difference is that they are statistically more likely to have these sort of small bumps getting in and out of the garage"

I'm surprised that he didn't have a pop at old fogeys wearing flat hats while he was at it. Cock. (N.B. more appropriate epithet swear-filtered)
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine it is just local observation. Round where I live, we are about the only ones that put our car in the garage and that is really for Nov to the End Feb/Early March.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    I imagine it is just local observation.

"It's well known ..." suggests more than a local observation to me, whereas the third sentence goes on to say "Actually most people around here ..."

Round where I live, we are about the only ones that put our car in the garage and that is really for Nov to the End Feb/Early March.

Fair enough - I understand that some might prefer to park on their driveway when the weather is mild, but choosing to do during the winter months when they have a garage available strikes me as masochistic. Is scraping ice from car windows somehow enjoyable? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is scraping ice from car windows somehow enjoyable? :confused:
    Possibly it is because unless you have an oversize or double garage, it is hard to park a modern car in it. A few people at work have said, "Sure, I can put the car in the garage, but I can't get out of the car once I have!"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Possibly it is because unless you have an oversize or double garage, it is hard to park a modern car in it. A few people at work have said, "Sure, I can put the car in the garage, but I can't get out of the car once I have!"

Gotcha.

In other words, they have egos bigger than their garages .... or they can't use a tape measure .... or they didn't think about it when they bought the car ..... or any combination of the above.

Yep, that'll be the great British public for ya.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gotcha.

In other words, they have egos bigger than their garages.

Lol. I think our garage was built for an Austin Seven, you'd have trouble fitting anything bigger than a mini in it.

ETA: that's an original mini, btw, not one of these modern minis that are huge by comparison.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gotcha.

In other words, they have egos bigger than their garages.
    I don't think so, merely a reflection that cars are a bit wider and the mirrors stick out even more, especially if you have a indicator in the mirror. Even a mini isn't really 'mini' anymore. Also as one colleague pointed out, if you only have a 2 door (3 door) car you are totally stuffed.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you have a source that says that most people with a garage and a car, generally keep the car in the garage?

My observation is that people don't do that. That doesn't mean that no-one does, and obviously you're one of the exceptions.

But here's a link if you want one. It says: "They quoted figures from the RAC Foundation, which found that while 53 per cent of households had access to a garage, only 24 per cent used them."

So 29 out of 53 households with garages don't use them. Most in other words. I'd have the thought the figure would be higher, but it depends how the survey was done; maybe they ask if they ever use the garage, and 24 out of 53 used them from time to time. (Or possibly they just say they do because that's what they put on their insurance proposal thinking the premiums would be cheaper! Like I used to do...)
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If my garage was empty , with painted walls and floors and nothing at all in it but a lone sweeping brush hanging on a hook . I still wouldnt store a box for a barely known to me neighbour
    What a cheek to even ask
  • Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    You did exactly the right thing. Why the heck should they use your garage as a dumping ground for their crap?

The wedding presents would eventually get moved, but the table and chairs would fester for a VERY long time.

Nope, you did right. The fact they're blanking you is the best result. You're better off without them.

You're as naive and daft as I am Jimmy :)

Do you really believe they were boxes of wedding presents?

Edit. I feel a filmscript coming on.

:blush: Oh noooo. Think it's been done.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    owllover wrote: »
    You're as naive and daft as I am Jimmy :)

Do you really believe they were boxes of wedding presents?

Edit. I feel a filmscript coming on.

:blush: Oh noooo. Think it's been done.

You are right I am naive owllover. :) It's a good job I do not have a garage.;-):blush:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There have been a lot of new build here in my area in the last few years. And of those new builds I have yet to see a garage that looks wide enough to put the car inside and get out once in the garage as they are simply not wide enough to allow space for the car inside and to open the doors.
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You did the right thing. They sound like a pair of arseholes. No telling where it would've ended if you'd agreed to this. The 'friendly requests' and 'favours' would probably have got bigger and cheekier.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Gotcha.

In other words, they have egos bigger than their garages .... or they can't use a tape measure .... or they didn't think about it when they bought the car ..... or any combination of the above.

Yep, that'll be the great British public for ya.
    What a strange attitude. I did a quick sample of where I live this morning and of our immediate and not so immediate neighbours, approx 100% don't put the car(s) in the garage. Most are filled with stuff that's better kept under cover but doesn't belong in the house (bikes, camping gear, tools etc), two have converted the garage to be an office for their businesses, most are used for storage. All are too small to keep a car in, and cars are designed to exist out of doors. What benefit is there in putting it inside for a few hours? Ice you say? Kettle of warm water over all the glass; 2 minutes from tap to driving away, whilst others are still busy scraping away.

OP - add me to the clamour of support. This bloke owns a smaller property than yours. What you do with it is irrelevant but he has a massive nerve wanting to take advantage of your better circumstances.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let them pay for storage professionally, or they can rid of stuff they don't need