Options

Wolfgang England needs to stay in the EU

AdamskAdamsk Posts: 1,384
Forum Member
✭✭✭
German EU Minister Wolfgang Schaeble claim if the UK leave the Eurozone it would be a sinking ship.Unlike Norway or Swizterland because they don't pay taxes,were Great British citizens would have to pay extra,and Mr Cameron has not spoke too his people about it just big Buisness bosses.And other problem such as TTIP force on it from a Taffy-Daffy USA officials.Price will go up and the sales will go down and it will be one mistake and race to the bottom and start from square one again.

Comments

• Options
    Steve_HolmesSteve_Holmes Posts: 3,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adamsk wrote: »
    German EU Minister Wolfgang Schaeble claim if the UK leave the Eurozone it would be a sinking ship.Unlike Norway or Swizterland because they don't pay taxes,were Great British citizens would have to pay extra,and Mr Cameron has not spoke too his people about it just big Buisness bosses.And other problem such as TTIP force on it from a Taffy-Daffy USA officials.Price will go up and the sales will go down and it will be one mistake and race to the bottom and start from square one again.

You don't consider his comments are somewhat biased do you? After all, the UK are paying a sizeable portion of his overly generous salary and highly inflated pension contributions.
  • Options
    AdamskAdamsk Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't consider his comments are somewhat biased do you? After all, the UK are paying a sizeable portion of his overly generous salary and highly inflated pension contributions.

He claim any country that leaves will effect it's trade deals with other nations.
    And aliened itself from it's friends and allies and why leave when we're try to reach agreement.
  • Options
    denzldenzl Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Germans prefer us in the EU to act as a counter-weight / ally against the French & other Latins, as there are many areas around free trade where our views coincide with Germany's, compared to the alternative protectionist agenda.
  • Options
    anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member
    We'd survive outwith the EU but it wouldn't be good for business. The main concern for me is over employment law and social security. If Britain is left to it's own devices it'll become more like America. I don't want to see that happen.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anndra_w wrote: »
    We'd survive outwith the EU but it wouldn't be good for business. The main concern for me is over employment law and social security. If Britain is left to it's own devices it'll become more like America. I don't want to see that happen.

How on earth did we manage pre EU? We must have been some Stalinist dictatorship when it comes to employing people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    How on earth did we manage pre EU? We must have been some Stalinist dictatorship when it comes to employing people.

Pre-Thatcher the UK was a different country. The UK we live in today isn't really recognisable to the one we had before the EU.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pre-Thatcher the UK was a different country. The UK we live in today isn't really recognisable to the one we had before the EU.

And what exactly has the EU done to make the UK better?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Well for a start it's been good for our business. The thing I like most of all though from being in the EU has been the way it has broken down borders. As many EU citizens can now come here as immigrants as want to. We too enjoy that same privilege and can travel all across Europe. I also feel it's made us more European. There must be many young Europeans like myself who have a sense of European identity that our parents generation might not understand. On top of the freedom of movement there is also the benefit to working people that being in the EU has ensured we can enjoy. When it comes to annual leave, maternity pay, equal, working hours etc there have been benefits that have come to the UK by being in the EU. Long may it continue!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well for a start it's been good for our business. The thing I like most of all though from being in the EU has been the way it has broken down borders. As many EU citizens can now come here as immigrants as want to. We too enjoy that same privilege and can travel all across Europe. I also feel it's made us more European. There must be many young Europeans like myself who have a sense of European identity that our parents generation might not understand. On top of the freedom of movement there is also the benefit to working people that being in the EU has ensured we can enjoy. When it comes to annual leave, maternity pay, equal, working hours etc there have been benefits that have come to the UK by being in the EU. Long may it continue!

In what way has it been good for business? The amount if red tape that comes from Brussels is shocking. It's the reason why the EU is the only trade block on earth that is not growing.

As for European identity please describe what that is? Europe will never be a country.
  • Options
    warlordwarlord Posts: 3,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It took Neil Kinnock off our hands.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    In what way has it been good for business? The amount if red tape that comes from Brussels is shocking. It's the reason why the EU is the only trade block on earth that is not growing.

As for European identity please describe what that is? Europe will never be a country.

And of course the EU is not Europe - ask the Russians, Serbians, Icelanders and Belorussians etc etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    warlord wrote: »
    It took Neil Kinnock off our hands.

And gave him and Glenys £10m of Taxpayers money through EU allowances and pensions etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member

How much more difficult do you think it would be if UK had to deal with 27 sets of different trading rules for different countries if the EU didn't exist?

I guess it's the pride I feel at being part of something bigger, better and more progressive. Bringing lots of people and nations together to work together. Europe is not a country neither is the UK but what has that to do with identity. People can have a sense of London or Mancunian identity despite the fact these places aren't countries. You're European so embrace it!
  • Options
    gocompletelynutgocompletelynut Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're European so embrace it!

Do me a favour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much more difficult do you think it would be if UK had to deal with 27 sets of different trading rules for different countries if the EU didn't exist?

I guess it's the pride I feel at being part of something bigger, better and more progressive. Bringing lots of people and nations together to work together. Europe is not a country neither is the UK but what has that to do with identity. People can have a sense of London or Mancunian identity despite the fact these places aren't countries. You're European so embrace it!

How on earth do we manage to trade with the progressive and productive world outside the EU? There are 200 or so countries in the world and we manage to trade with lots of them. We are a trading nation. The EU is an oppressive, declining and anti growth organization. I despair of people that think its the savior to all our problems.

As to your second point, until the day I die I would never consider myself a European national. The EU is an illegal organization.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How on earth do we manage to trade with the progressive and productive world outside the EU? There are 200 or so countries in the world and we manage to trade with lots of them. We are a trading nation. The EU is an oppressive, declining and anti growth organization. I despair of people that think its the savior to all our problems.

As to your second point, until the day I die I would never consider myself a European national. The EU is an illegal organization.

It's ok, we consider you a European national and that's all that matters! ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's ok, we consider you a European national and that's all that matters! ;-)

I am a British national thanks very much. Nobody has ever asked anybody if they wanted to be European.

I noticed you've completly ignored my point about trade and the fact that The EU is a declining inefficient trading block. Why's that? Is it an incovienient truth?
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, we didn't guarantee workers a paid holiday for a start.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Well, we didn't guarantee workers a holiday for a start.

Not true.
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adamsk wrote: »

STOP

When did Wolfgang claim it would be a sinking ship if the UK left? I cannot find any source for this.

I found one speech he gave in the UK at oxford which mentioned the UK was important partner and should not leave the UK ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am a British national thanks very much. Nobody has ever asked anybody if they wanted to be European.

I noticed you've completly ignored my point about trade and the fact that The EU is a declining inefficient trading block. Why's that? Is it an incovienient truth?

You don't have to ask, you're European whether you like it or not. Britain might not exist in 20 years time but Europe will. If you're still alive then you'll still be European even although you might no longer be British.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't have to ask, you're European whether you like it or not. Britain might not exist in 20 years time but Europe will. If you're still alive then you'll still be European even although you might no longer be British.

Being 38 I hope I'm still alive. Still waiting for an answer on trade and the stunning dynamic growth of the EU? Not going to get one am I.

And you've got it the wrong way round. The EU and the Eurozone is at the start of imploding. Look at Greece. Although I know you don't do economics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Being 38 I hope I'm still alive. Still waiting for an answer on trade and the stunning dynamic growth of the EU? Not going to get one am I.

I could go and google and answer for you if you like? You didn't ask me any questions about EU trade and growth. You just made assertions about the EU being anti-growth and at that point your credibility was shot. Come on admit it, no matter how successful the EU might be you'll never agree with it. This is about narrow nationalism not economics.
    And you've got it the wrong way round. The EU and the Eurozone is at the start of imploding. Look at Greece. Although I know you don't do economics.

Look at Greece indeed. Let's see what happens.
  • Options
    worzilworzil Posts: 4,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you think there were not thousands of Brits in France Spain Portugal Germany before we joined the EU.
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The problem is people views of the world like this poster above is completely out of date in the market and have been for 100's of years. The idea that each country trades separately with each other has long gone. The world is made up of trade blocks like the EU, USA, South American, African etc.

It is a global market place and single countries dont stand alone on their own making their own trade rules and agreements.

Oh oh what about iceland, Norway etc. First it is worth pointing the UK is not Norway or Iceland obvious yes but their economy is different to ours we are far more involved in global trade.

The second is these countries cannot ignore the EU. If you look at the iceland they have to follow and comply with all EU trade laws. They have to peg their currency to the Euro. They have to follow the lot of same directives as the EU but without any power or say in what goes on. Iceland is also in European economic area (EEA), the Schengen area, European free trade association (EFTA).

It is like being a member of club but having to sit outside on the steps when ever their is a meeting held.

the world is about global power as a part of the EU we are massive trade block 2nd largest in the world. Outside any trade block we would be tiny and lack the power to bargain with the trade blocks.

So when people say pull out of the EU in many respects it is not possible. We would end up like iceland have to fall in with the EU on many issue but having no right to vote on them.