Options

Benidorm Series 7 (Discussion Thread)

Comments

• Options
    james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing that wasn't the real Donald on the phone?
  • Options
    Trmcg5Trmcg5 Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd imagine the next series will have:

Joyce
    Leslie
    Kenneth
    Tiger, Terri and the girl singer (maybe Clive and Nadia Sawalahs character)
    Jacqueline
    Glynn and Riannon
    The new family
    Geoff and Noreen
    Mateo (hopefully)

Potentially the Garveys come back
  • Options
    paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit of an untdy mess tonight but still great viewing.

Pretty obvious,judging by this series, how many characters/actors fly out just for a week or two's filming.

The Garvey's at the start,The Oracle and his mum(was it explained that they left?),Joan Collins and Chrissie Rock/ Phil Oliver/Ruth Madoc etc.

And how did Joyce get her job back?

I'm sure Liam and Mateo will be back at some point.

Enjoyed the series overall.Roll on series8!
  • Options
    Hot ButterflyHot Butterfly Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that was a good episode. Maybe the best of this series. I had a few belly laughs. Nadia is great. I hope she has a bigger role next series. All you moaning minnies watch something else. I mean really you complain week after week. I know it doesn't seem as funny as series 1 and 2, say, but it's still good viewing for many and I'm looking forward to the next one.
  • Options
    Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulsh1 wrote: »
    A bit of an untdy mess tonight but still great viewing.

Pretty obvious,judging by this series, how many characters/actors fly out just for a week or two's filming.

The Garvey's at the start,The Oracle and his mum(was it explained that they left?),Joan Collins and Chrissie Rock/ Phil Oliver/Ruth Madoc etc.

And how did Joyce get her job back?

I'm sure Liam and Mateo will be back at some point.

Enjoyed the series overall.Roll on series8!

Some good points didn't Janey go for that job at the other hotel? Hence why Joyce was back??? Think Geoff and Noreen said something last week about it being there last night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree about Nadia and Alice Barlow Who played singer Annie, hope they return next year .
  • Options
    davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed tonight too. Nice that some more sympathetic writing has turned Liam from a character everyone hated, into an indispensable part of the show. Maybe most won't agree, but while I think there have been fewer laugh out loud moments in this series, at times it has found a genuine bit of heart & even pathos.
  • Options
    mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    james_W85 wrote: »
    I'm guessing that wasn't the real Donald on the phone?

An impressionist. It was quite sad really and very subtly done: the cross in the sky signalling that the actor had died
  • Options
    david_leewarddavid_leeward Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that was a good episode. Maybe the best of this series. I had a few belly laughs. Nadia is great. I hope she has a bigger role next series. All you moaning minnies watch something else. I mean really you complain week after week. I know it doesn't seem as funny as series 1 and 2, say, but it's still good viewing for many and I'm looking forward to the next one.

Haha, totally this.
  • Options
    hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »
    An impressionist. It was quite sad really and very subtly done: the cross in the sky signalling that the actor had died

I cant see Jacqueline returning if there is another series. I wonder if Janine Duvitski would want to be in it without Kenny Ireland. They bounced of each other and there really isn't a place for her now.
  • Options
    MorgsieMorgsie Posts: 16,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jake Canuso has said on Twitter he is back for series 8

Good because he is the number 1 eye candy
  • Options
    chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess there will be no Geoff or Noreen next year. I really don't know how they can write Jacqueline into it next year,could have worked if he had been killed off,and that voice on the phone wasn't his was it? it sounded similar but not quite the same. Lovely tribute at the end to Kenny. Hope that isnt the last we see of mateo.
  • Options
    eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I look forward to next year. Benidorm always brightens up January for me. Strange so many leaving negative comments but watch week after week, year after year,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeh looking at Jakes twitter he will be back. Hope Johnny Vegas returns.
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Good episode best of the series by far( actually one of the better ones for a few years) but I think it should have ended tonight through What will happen next year? 4-5 crap episodes for one or two funny ones like this year. If Jaqueline goes only Mateo will be original.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was Alistair McGowan playing Donald (badly) this evening.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be easy to bring Liam back for the next series and keep him in for the duration- visiting his dad and Kenneth for a few weeks. Jake Canuso appears to have already said Mateo's on his way back. Hope Nadia Sawahla comes back too. Still love Sherrie Hewson's comic turn as Joyce.

It was lovely to see how the four disparate main male characters looked out for each other and the bond that has grown between them by the end. If anything, that is something that made me want to see more of them next time round.

As for Janine Duvitski, I'm wondering if her continued role in Benidorm depends, as hansue says, on whether or not she wants to carry on without Kenny Ireland. If she does, I don't know how they'll write her in because Jacqueline and Donald were so inseparable and devoted (despite their 'swinger' status). Think she's a great comic actress (always had a soft spot) and it would be sad to lose her. Them splitting up wouldn't work so she'd have to return as a 'real' widow (unlike the 'life insurance' flanker they pulled a couple of series ago), which would be a challenge for her happy-go-lucky character or have an ongoing Gavin/Troy situation where one was holidaying without the other. Seeing as they've done that for all this series, I can't see it working for another. Glyn's character grew on me after a shaky start and I would love him to return with Rhiannon (Ruth Madoc) as the pair have potential.
  • Options
    Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    As for Janine Duvitski, I'm wondering if her continued role in Benidorm depends, as hansue says, on whether or not she wants to carry on without Kenny Ireland. If she does, I don't know how they'll write her in because Jacqueline and Donald were so inseparable and devoted (despite their 'swinger' status). Think she's a great comic actress (always had a soft spot) and it would be sad to lose her. Them splitting up wouldn't work so she'd have to return as a 'real' widow (unlike the 'life insurance' flanker they pulled a couple of series ago), which would be a challenge for her happy-go-lucky character or have an ongoing Gavin/Troy situation where one was holidaying without the other. Seeing as they've done that for all this series, I can't see it working for another. Glyn's character grew on me after a shaky start and I would love him to return with Rhiannon (Ruth Madoc) as the pair have potential.

I think it will totally be up to Janine, after so many years commitment I doubt they will axe her. It will be up to writers to give her a reason to return to Benidorm but that is their job and I am sure they can do it, if she wants to return. I think she will, it is a job after all.
  • Options
    ppaupyppaupy Posts: 2,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a bad episode...nice way to end the series..was odd to see "juan sheet" acting.
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I smiled a couple of times, but it mostly wasn't funny.
  • Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    mrbernay wrote: »

This is the only episode I've watched in this series, partly because I was doing/watching something else and partly because I followed this thread to see if it was worthwhile to watch the repeat and nobody seemed to be enjoying it.

Tonight I realised how much the characters had grown on me, they've become an ensemble cast and work together so well. Every glance or sideways look is so perfectly timed. It could all have become Pantomime.

When ''Donald'' told her to look at the cross it almost brought a tear to my eye because it was such a lovely, subtle tribute.

Does anyone remember when the first series started and Darren was here telling us of his misfortunes getting lost in the hills?

If you're still reading Darren - well done mate.
  • Options
    KevinessKeviness Posts: 2,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Donald moment was so beautifully done.

Not sure what to expect for S8.
  • Options
    BROXI BEARBROXI BEAR Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    eye3 wrote: »
    I look forward to next year. Benidorm always brightens up January for me. Strange so many leaving negative comments but watch week after week, year after year,

Exactly always moaning but always watch.
  • Options
    BROXI BEARBROXI BEAR Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    Ambassador wrote: »
    It was Alistair McGowan playing Donald (badly) this evening.

Who cares? I know I don't and I didn't expect someone to to be exactly like Kenny!
  • Options
    buttsfifebuttsfife Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One subtle change I have noticed in the programme over the years is the decrease in the number of "smokers" featured.

At it's inception over half the characters seemed to be smokers but this has withered away to just Kenneth (occasionally).