Options

Gary Glitter - Guilty

Comments

• Options
    laurieloulaurielou Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No surprises there, then.

The 'wig cleaning' excuse was laughable. Horrible that it's girls so young though - just like in Vietnam. Bet his activities would have been known by a lot of people from well before he was first arrested.

As an aside, I distinctly remember, some time in the early 90s - so well before his first arrest and when he was having a kind of a retro revival - seeing an article in the Observer magazine (of all places) about him, which stated that at the time, he was living with his fourteen or fifteen year old girlfriend and her parents. He'd have been late forties I guess? I remember thinking - what? That's weird. No negative comment was made about this in the article at all. How times change, eh?
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    laurielou wrote: »
    No surprises there, then.

The 'wig cleaning' excuse was laughable. Horrible that it's girls so young though - just like in Vietnam. Bet his activities would have been known by a lot of people from well before he was first arrested.

As an aside, I distinctly remember, some time in the early 90s - so well before his first arrest and when he was having a kind of a retro revival - seeing an article in the Observer magazine (of all places) about him, which stated that at the time, he was living with his fourteen or fifteen year old girlfriend and her parents. He'd have been late forties I guess? I remember thinking - what? That's weird. No negative comment was made about this in the article at all. How times change, eh?
    Well, he definitely had a relationship with Denise Van Outen while she was in her teens. The fact she was his girlfriend at the age of 17 is a matter of public record as it was mentioned during his first trial in 1999.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/510582.stm
    There's no verifiable reference to it starting when she was underage, though.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, he definitely had a relationship with Denise Van Outen while she was in her teens. The fact she was his girlfriend at the age of 17 is a matter of public record as it was mentioned during his first trial in 1999.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/510582.stm
    There's no verifiable reference to it starting when she was underage, though.

Funny she never brings it up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    It is odd. Here's footage of Glitter and Van Outen (or Gluten) performing together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD6kD9G-OUM
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It did say in the Beeb tea time news, there was more evidence but it was too disturbing to report. So we have not heard everything the jury did.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    donna255 wrote: »
    It did say in the Beeb tea time news, there was more evidence but it was too disturbing to report. So we have not heard everything the jury did.

Looks like his money could end up sitting in a Bank until the day he dies if he gets a lengthy enough sentence. I suppose it depends on how many sexual crimes he's committed and how bad they were.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Looks like his money could end up sitting in a Bank until the day he dies if he gets a lengthy enough sentence. I suppose it depends on how many sexual crimes he's committed and how bad they were.
    Surely his money will soon disappear if civil cases are brought by the victims?
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »

To be fair, why would she? She's probably mortified by the whole thing now! I'm no fan of hers, but I find it unpleasant that people bring up her relationship with him as a means to criticise her. Glitter is the one who deserves criticism, not some 17 year old girl who had a relationship with him before the sordid truth about his abuse of underage girls came out.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He does not earn any money from his songs anymore as he sold his royalties years ago. Not sure where any money he's got came from. I doubt he has much left though.

I heard today that since 1999 the Glitter band have been unoficially banned from pick of the Pops on Radio 2. Thats really unfair they had those hit's without him and so why should they pay. They suffered with lost bookings in 1999 no doubt this will happen again now.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »
    To be fair, why would she? She's probably mortified by the whole thing now! I'm no fan of hers, but I find it unpleasant that people bring up her relationship with him as a means to criticise her. Glitter is the one who deserves criticism, not some 17 year old girl who had a relationship with him before the sordid truth about his abuse of underage girls came out.

It's the same with Ferne Cotton she does not want to be reminded that she had a reationship with a pervert (Ian Watkins).
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He used to live round the corner from me when I lived in Banbury! Not that I knew him as he was younger than me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    He does not earn any money from his songs anymore as he sold his royalties years ago. Not sure where any money he's got came from. I doubt he has much left though.

I heard today that since 1999 the Glitter band have been unoficially banned from pick of the Pops on Radio 2. Thats really unfair they had those hit's without him and so why should they pay. They suffered with lost bookings in 1999 no doubt this will happen again now.

That was a daft thing to do. I agree that the band shouldn't have to pay for Gadd's crimes. Very unfair to make the innocent pay for his selfishness. Bad call, BBC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    He used to live round the corner from me when I lived in Banbury! Not that I knew him as he was younger than me.

You must be nearly 80, or in your 80s.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the same with Ferne Cotton she does not want to be reminded that she had a reationship with a pervert (Ian Watkins).
    There is something morbidly fascinating about a "Golden Girl" of wholesome family entertainment being the ex-girlfriend of a notorious paedophile.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can't say that I blame her for that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ian Watkins? What's wrong with Ferne Cotton going out with the guy from Steps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RleE--HDBiU Definitely NSFW!
  • Options
    sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There might have been records of his movements back when he was supposed to have had illegal sex with them lasses. The records might show that he was with the underage lasses in a room. Of course, that's not absolute proof that he had sex with them though. I am wondering what convinced the jury that he did have sex with them.

Maybe it's because they found the confessions of his victims, truthful. Or maybe it's simply because the man is a paedophile, who else has over 4000 indecent photographs of children on their computers? Or maybe it's because he sexually assaulted a 10 and 11 year old in Vietnam and was convicted for it.

Yes I know the jury are supposed to live in the here and now, but he can't escape the facts, not stories, FACTS.
  • Options
    UnlikelyHeroineUnlikelyHeroine Posts: 1,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GG was acquitted of three of the counts, which to me shows that the jury was prepared to consider the difference in the level of evidence as between different crimes and was not entirely swayed by his criminal history.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like his money could end up sitting in a Bank until the day he dies.

Has he actually got any money left? Glitter has been shunned by radio stations across Europe for years and rightfully so. Unless he invested well 40 years ago, I can't imagine him being wealthy any more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Has he actually got any money left? Glitter has been shunned by radio stations across Europe for years and rightfully so. Unless he invested well 40 years ago, I can't imagine him being wealthy any more.
    Even if he sold the publishing rights to his back catalogue, he would still have an income as a performer on the original recordings. Glitter's recording of Rock and Roll Part 2 is still played regularly at sports events across America and Canada. It has also been featured in many major movies and TV series with scenes at sports stadiums.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0322921/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was a daft thing to do.
    Had to pay his mounting legal fees from what I read
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You must be nearly 80, or in your 80s.

Yes, I am 78 and 79 in June! Don't feel it though, I'm glad to say!
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read the other day that he got legal aid with all his recent court stuff but it's being looked Into apparently.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    he has been attacked in prison, it seems
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    he has been attacked in prison, it seems
    What the f*** was Britain's most famous nonce doing amongst other prisoners? Surely that's a huge security lapse?:o