Options

Will 50 Shades be this years biggest flop?

Comments

• Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How could it possibly be a flop with so many advance ticket sales?

It would have to fall off a cliff from next week onwards with literally zero ticket sales to be a flop.
  • Options
    PenicilinaPenicilina Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    I saw this yesterday. I agree the first book was a stinker, but I didn't think the film was that bad, it got a lot of laughs from the crowd, including me, genuine laughs that is, not laughing because it was bad. It was the first screening of the day at that particular cinema and it was packed. People hate so much on this book/film, but I just look at it as a little fun.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's so ridiculously bad!! The film is truly awful and not because it's so shocking or controversial, but because it's boring, has no plot, and is absolutely awfully miscast!! There is nothing shocking (or good) about it at all. I almost fell asleep. And mr Grey... seriously?!
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to Melissa Silverstein, 50 Shades of Grey is on track to make $158.3 million internationally this weekend. It's also opened at No. 1 during its debut in 56 of the 57 territories worldwide. If I did my maths right, it should bring in approx. $240M by the end of this month. Ouch.
  • Options
    asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    It was not going to flop because of the hype behind it , but it's a front loaded so in a couple of weeks it will fade away and won't make much money after the first two weeks .
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newkid30 wrote: »
    The book is horrendous and that was a Worldwide best seller, so I'd say the movie will do well too.

People bought it out of curiosity but I wonder how many people actually read the whole thing.

By the way I haven't read the book or seen the film and have no intention of doing so.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    People bought it out of curiosity but I wonder how many people actually read the whole thing.

By the way I haven't read the book or seen the film and have no intention of doing so.

I read them whole first book. It is badly written and the story is about an abusive male character.

As I have said elsewhere if Christian Grey was a pervert from the housing estate rather than a pervert from the penthouse, there wouldn't be a phenomenon.
  • Options
    asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member

All my friends nagged me to read it and I got up to anal fisting and could not read anymore .

I am a 28 female and it holds no interest to me at all . Yet my friends love it and think I'm a prude for not liking it .
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just got back from seeing it and I thought it was good. I was glad that they actually gave CG some depth!! A few noticeable scenes were cut from the book, but overall I liked it.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I read the first book after a work colleague raved about it. I found it so badly written that it was actually LOL funny - and not or the right reasons. I've had bouts of diarrhoea that were about as erotic.
    I was always bemused by the amount of females I know who I would consider intelligent and independent who were stating Mr Grey was the perfect man :confused:

A group of mums from the school went to see the movie on Friday and I was invited but politely declined. I think I'd rather pull my own teeth than sit through 2 hours of guff
  • Options
    HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read half a chapter of my mate's copy...she was breathlessly describing it as brilliant.

It was unreadable. Total gubbins. You'd think it was the first literotica story ever published and that all women are horny and totally deprived of an outlet. I don't get it.

I had a friend like that, as l pointed out to her, that there were thousands of books available, better written with actual plots, erotica (in all of it's forms), and why on earth would l want to read one that was that bad, just because of the hype.

I've just assumed that most of these "fans" don't normally read any books, and have no benchmark to compare against.
  • Options
    mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,323
    Forum Member
    Not read the book but reminds me
    Jilly Cooper's Riders. Then came the mini series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    According to Melissa Silverstein, 50 Shades of Grey is on track to make $158.3 million internationally this weekend. It's also opened at No. 1 during its debut in 56 of the 57 territories worldwide. If I did my maths right, it should bring in approx. $240M by the end of this month. Ouch.

WOW, reckon this has broken some serious records for a R/18 rated film.
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dread to think what people of the future will think of this generation, literature, films and music all gone right down the pan.
  • Options
    simonl87simonl87 Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has a $40 million budget and a ton of hype. This film was never going to flop and will become a franchise no matter how much the critics hate it.
  • Options
    HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dread to think what people of the future will think of this generation, literature, films and music all gone right down the pan.

I despair sometimes that there does not seem to be any curiosity of what came before, they only seem to live in the now.
    When you get someone of stature from any of those arts dies, and you get some of them saying that they had never heard of them, and these are not children, but people in their 20/30's l can't believe my ears sometimes.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jupiter Ascending.
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Jupiter Ascending.

Have they said how much that cost to make?
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heartache wrote: »
    I despair sometimes that there does not seem to be any curiosity of what came before, they only seem to live in the now.
    When you get someone of stature from any of those arts dies, and you get some of them saying that they had never heard of them, and these are not children, but people in their 20/30's l can't believe my ears sometimes.
    Ignorance mostly, there really is no excuse with the internet widely available to all.
    Have they said how much that cost to make?
    Budget of $179 million
    Made $19 million during its opening weekend..
    “Jupiter Ascending,” starring Channing Tatum, Mila Kunis and Eddie Redmayne, brought in $19 million over the three days, right around what Warner Bros. had hoped for. But it still makes it three straight misfires for the Wachowskis, because the original sci-fi tale they wrote, directed and produced cost $175 million. They haven’t had a moneymaker since 2003’s “The Matrix Reloaded,”and their last two, 2008’s “Speed Racer” and 2012’s “Cloud Atlas,” had big budgets too
    LINK
  • Options
    Cassie..Cassie.. Posts: 3,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    $83.9 million opening weekend in the US.
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Ignorance mostly, there really is no excuse with the internet widely available to all.

Budget of $179 million
    Made $19 million during its opening weekend..

LINK
    Is the 19 million international or just US?
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always said it would be a big hit or a flop. And when i mean flop, i mean like Showgirls flop. A cult hit that is so bad, it's so good.

Oh man, if it's anything like Showgirls I'm going to love it. It can't be that awful and yet so good surely?
  • Options
    mia75mia75 Posts: 9,352
    Forum Member
    Cassie.. wrote: »

Wow. That's amazing
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cassie.. wrote: »

Only a C+ cinemascore though, it may not hold up that well in the following weeks.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,332
    Forum Member
    Bloody Hell. Seems to be whipping audiences into a frenzy everywhere.

Reportedly took in $240m worldwide over the weekend. Ouch.