Options

Russian nuclear bombers over Cornwall.

onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
Forum Member
RAF jets were scrambled on Wednesday after two Russian military aircraft were seen off the Cornwall coast, the Ministry of Defence says.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31530840

Comments

• Options
    crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sat in centre parcs ,Elveden forest with US fighter jets flying over while watching this news! Strange experience!

Also Strange how Michael Fallon said we should expect any kind of aggression from the Russians then this news breaks!
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 64,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps Putin is thinking of a holiday there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Perhaps Putin is thinking of a holiday there.

He couldn't handle the tropical cyclone water ride!
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crystallad wrote: »
    I'm sat in centre parcs ,Elveden forest with US fighter jets flying over while watching this news! Strange experience!

Also Strange how Michael Fallon said we should expect any kind of aggression from the Russians then this news breaks!

Putin would be crossing the Rubicon if he tried to do anything with the Baltic states as they're all NATO members. That would be the most likely WW3 pre-cursor.
  • Options
    mungobrushmungobrush Posts: 9,332
    Forum Member
    I think that these tactics are done all the time to test the responsiveness of the "other side"
    "They did not enter UK sovereign airspace"

(Or maybe they wanted a Cornish pastie or some clotted cream)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we fly bombers near Russia I wonder?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There is a pattern of aggression towards the west as well as its neighbours coming from Putin and Russia.
    "NATO officials are concerned about long-range flights by Russian war jets encroaching on European airspace, amid ever increasing East-West tensions over Ukraine."
    http://www.france24.com/en/20150211-russia-planes-european-airspace-ukraine-crimea-nato/
  • Options
    anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member
    Hoping that bright spark Cameron will react in a suitably laughable fashion and stir things up I imagine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    One of the real dangers of Putin sending his bombers to threaten the west is that the planes turn off their transponders and lights which means the Russian aircraft could be involved in a collision with a civil fight.
    http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/putin-sends-nuclear-bombers-over-english-chanel-transponders-turned-off-invisible-to-air-traffic-control_01302015
  • Options
    debidebi Posts: 3,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems Cornwall is in the news again.....Russian planes, closed hospital and now we are waiting for the Ebola boat to come back to Falmouth.

Lot goes on in Cornwall and let's remember that it was also to be used in the case of Scotland going independent when they wanted to move our nuclear capability there too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    anndra_w wrote: »
    Hoping that bright spark Cameron will react in a suitably laughable fashion and stir things up I imagine.

Well maybe you should send Ed to scare them off with his boggle-eyes and trout lips look
  • Options
    thorrthorr Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crystallad wrote: »
    Do we fly bombers near Russia I wonder?

We don't really have any! I suppose the BBMF could fuel up the Lancaster!
  • Options
    MariesamMariesam Posts: 3,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been recording the World at War on BBC2 Weekdays, having watched the first couple of episodes its quite scary how similar things are with Russia as it was with the old Germany.....trying to regain lost territory (check), making those in these desirable countries unstable and quietly backing unrest (check), the west constantly warning Russia on not going any further yet doing little (check) etc........if anyone gets a chance to watch it (narrated by Laurence Olivier) and at the time the most expensive tv programme ever made, I would recommend it!......Only two episodes in (24 to go) and its very interesting on many levels....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    onecitizen wrote: »
    One of the real dangers of Putin sending his bombers to threaten the west is that the planes turn off their transponders and lights which means the Russian aircraft could be involved in a collision with a civil fight.
    http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/putin-sends-nuclear-bombers-over-english-chanel-transponders-turned-off-invisible-to-air-traffic-control_01302015

These bombers fly at 45,000ft.

Also, shtfplan? Really?!
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those pesky Russians flying in international airspace - what a cheek
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,496
    Forum Member
    onecitizen wrote: »

That is one barking-mad website.
  • Options
    The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in the North near quite a few airbases but I've not known nearly as much activity in the skies as there's been since the Crimea crisis. Fighter jets daily. Military choppers more than ever. Cold War 2 here we are.
  • Options
    debidebi Posts: 3,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in the North near quite a few airbases but I've not known nearly as much activity in the skies as there's been since the Crimea crisis. Fighter jets daily. Military choppers more than ever. Cold War 2 here we are.

I was thinking exactly that also when I read your post. I live in Cornwall and the amount of air activity here has been substantial of late, more than normal I would say.
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Putin would be crossing the Rubicon if he tried to do anything with the Baltic states as they're all NATO members. That would be the most likely WW3 pre-cursor.

Has NATO really got the will, to go to war with Russia ?

It's not as strong as it once was, there is an interesting article on it below :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-31503859
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »
    These bombers fly at 45,000ft.

Also, shtfplan? Really?!

45,000 is the service ceiling for the TU-95, they'll not be flying that high. Given that a lot of the newer airliners (Dreamliner etc) and most Bizjets fly above 40,000, then the danger of a mid-air is real.

It's even more of a risk, when you look at the route of these guys. They're travelling West of Ireland, which is one of the main entry and exit points for the North Atlantic tracks and beyond land based radar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    45,000 is the service ceiling for the TU-95, they'll not be flying that high. Given that a lot of the newer airliners (Dreamliner etc) and most Bizjets fly above 40,000, then the danger of a mid-air is real.

It's even more of a risk, when you look at the route of these guys. They're travelling West of Ireland, which is one of the main entry and exit points for the North Atlantic tracks and beyond land based radar.

I'm sure the aircrew know what they're doing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Meilie wrote: »
    I'm sure the aircrew know what they're doing.

Of course,
    Civilian flights never get shot down by military action do they?
  • Options
    iwearoddsocksiwearoddsocks Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There must be something we are missing with this - It's amazingly reckless from Russia, when you consider that one wrong move won't just cause one tragic disaster for the innocent people involved, but will undoubtedly plunge us into immediate armed conflict.

Losing a BA 747 off the coast of Ireland or Cornwall after a collision won't be swept under the carpet like Flight MH17. If that happens, it's game over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We can't afford to be parochial about the Russian threat.

Scandinavians warn Russia after air near-miss
    Russia’s ambassadors to Denmark and Sweden have been summoned to hear complaints that lives were endangered in a near-miss involving an airliner and a Russian military aircraft.
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/95751ff2-837e-11e4-8a84-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3SBxViPZu
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mungobrush wrote: »
    Of course,
    Civilian flights never get shot down by military action do they?

Unless they are kamikaze pilots, I doubt they are putting themselves and their nuclear cargo at risk.