Options

Top Of The Pops 1980 - BBC4

Comments

• Options
    highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    I love how Steve Wright (love the show!) is wearing a hat after The Selecter song!

Have to admit Steve makes me laugh! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Love The Whale and listen to his James Whale Radio Show podcasts each week. He recently had Linda Nolan on the show. Free off iTunes and on his website if interested.

Used to love his tv radio show in the late 80's in the early hours. How often does he do his new shows. Weekly?
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve will have to not make it so obvious he's reading autocue in future. It WAS his first show though.
    He looked like a nervous wreck! His body was shaking all over the place and every time he introduced an act his microphone was stuck at 45 degrees, pointing forward...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    He looked like a nervous wreck! His body was shaking all over the place and every time he introduced an act his microphone was stuck at 45 degrees, pointing forward...

The other guys make it look so easy. Bet it's a lot harder than it looks eh?
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used to love his tv radio show in the late 80's in the early hours. How often does he do his new shows. Weekly?
    Yes, weekly Ian. They come out on a Thursday or Friday. He began them in late 2013 and is up to about 70 or so episodes, all still available to listen to. Makes good late night listening. They are about an hour long. He's had some good guests such as Boy George last year. Remember Tory MP Jerry Hayes? He's had him as well. Take a look through them. They are free.

I was listening to him late night on Talk Radio / TalkSport from 1995 until 2008 when he got fired for endorsing Boris Johnson in the 2008 London Mayor election, breaking electoral broadcast rules.
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James Whale on Central used to be post-pub on Fridays didn't it?

Used to air after The Word and before Hitman and Her? A 1am slot?
  • Options
    tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the better rats tracks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, weekly Ian. They come out on a Thursday or Friday. He began them in late 2013 and is up to about 70 or so episodes, all still available to listen to. Makes good late night listening. They are about an hour long. He's had some good guests such as Boy George last year. Remember Tory MP Jerry Hayes? He's had him as well. Take a look through them. They are free.

I was listening to him late night on Talk Radio / TalkSport from 1995 until 2008 when he got fired for endorsing Boris Johnson in the 2008 London Mayor election, breaking electoral broadcast rules.

Nice one. I'll check it out. Ha ha Jerry Hayes the poodlehead politician!! I loved Talk Radio. James was on LBC a couple of years back.
    On his Friday night shows in the late 80's he occasionally had a lawer type bloke. A fat guy with a goatee beard. Can't remember his name but I recall he died. He wasn't very old.

Edit. He was a solicitor called Gary Jacobs. He died of a heart attack at 56 after surgery. Bless Wikipedia!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alcockell wrote: »
    James Whale on Central used to be post-pub on Fridays didn't it?

Used to air after The Word and before Hitman and Her? A 1am slot?

Yep. It was great Friday night/Saturday morning telly! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    ...and used to have some gentlemen's relish if I recall...
  • Options
    SillyBoyBlueSillyBoyBlue Posts: 3,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone been watching Gotham? The singer in The Regents is a dead ringer for Penguin!
  • Options
    LabLab Posts: 2,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    I was gonna say Can you imagine what AC/DC would've done to The Nolans but I reckon Linda Nolan could've destroyed the lot of them! :D

A, now deceased, contributor to Popbitch messageboard who used to be part of Motorhead's road crew recounted a tale verifying this.

As for The Chords, I couldn't help thinking a young Steve Craddock was watching them thinking "When I grow up, I'm going to imitate that man, but go one better and join my master's band."
  • Options
    LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    Missed the 7:30 showing and caught the full version late. Was just in time for The Selecter, though, so did a bit of lone skanking around the living room. Quite rightly, one of the cats just stared at me in a slightly perturbed manner.

Interesting to read back that some who were around for it aren't that familiar with Three Minute Hero. I'm very familiar with it but came to it about 20 years later. Not sure what triggered it but I went onto a run of listening to and buying some old Two Tone records and really enjoying it. Still very much do. I think my favourite Selecter tracks though are Bristol And Miami, and The Whisper.

alcockell wrote: »
    I wonder how Simon Cowell would react if someone auditioned with 3 Minute Hero on Xa Factor?

It's been a personal amusement of mine for years that I would sing that on The X Factor. I mentioned it in the previous thread along with the other songs I'd do...

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=76055017&postcount=2888
  • Options
    LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    I don't know about Two Tone in 1980, but nowadays in so called multi-cultural Britain of 2015 I think the new genre would have to be Ten Tone.

Would you care to elaborate what you mean by this statement?
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winter Olympics coverage next Thursday from Lake Placid 1980 meant TOTP shunted a day later.

Or indeed a week later to make way for Sky At Night:D
  • Options
    ML11ML11 Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buggles, that difficult second single, not doing it for me.

The 3rd single Clean Clean was out on the 24th March which I found a much better single release from the Plastic Age album. There was 4th single release some months later on the 27th October with the number called Elstree which was also a very good track that failed to chart big.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt1oDm6eUpE
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Much talk of AC/DC on here tonight after their TOTP appearance, which brings me to another similar group;

Iron Maiden made their UK chart debut on this very date in 1980 with Running Free. Not sure if it will feature in an up and coming edition, but it has been announced that their well known lead singer Bruce Dickinson has been diagnosed with malignant cancer of the tongue, of all places.

BIB - I'm pretty sure Maiden did get a TOTP appearance with 'Running Free', although I don't know who the host of that show is, so not sure if we'd get to see it …

… however, you won't see Bruce Dickinson with them - at the time, he was still a member of Samson, one of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal groups that got left behind. Maiden's vocalist then was Paul D'Anno, whose well documented drug use led to his dismissal, and Dickinson joining.

Get well soon, Bruce!
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lab wrote: »
    A, now deceased, contributor to Popbitch messageboard who used to be part of Motorhead's road crew recounted a tale verifying this.

She's not aged well and just from the little I've heard about her it's easy to see why!
  • Options
    Diamond HeadDiamond Head Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Nolans recorded with Motorhead and others under the moniker "The Young And Moody Band".

The Chords have certainly heard some nice chords. It's just a shame Paul Weller heard most of them first.
  • Options
    JedikiahJedikiah Posts: 5,396
    Forum Member
    Dis-Chord from me I'm afraid. Sounds like generic stuff done back in 1978, The Jam already.

Not so sure about that. I think The Chords were much closer to the mod revival, than what was happening in 1978, at that moment in time. They were in the Jam/Secret Affair revivalist category for sure, and of course they were reminiscent/influenced by The Jam (Weller may have been an admirer of theirs, too). The Jam had come to prominence back in 1977, but it wasn't until the huge success of course of "Eton Rifles" towards the end of 1979, that their stature began to grow immeasurably. In early 1980 the Jam were just beginning to grow bigger than their previous cult following, and it was also the time that their identity was beginning to shift from being more closely associated with punk, to being figureheads of that mod revival. I'd say The Chords stepped in at precisely the right moment, when the Jam's/early Who's raw slashing style of music, in addition to all other things mod related, was just beginning to become very popular.

That performance was live in part, by The Chords i believe, and most certainly the vocals, and i enjoyed the raw energy of it all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jedikiah wrote: »
    Not so sure about that. I think The Chords were much closer to the mod revival, than what was happening in 1978, at that moment in time. They were in the Jam/Secret Affair revivalist category for sure, and of course they were reminiscent/influenced by The Jam (Weller may have been an admirer of theirs, too). The Jam had come to prominence back in 1977, but it wasn't until the huge success of course of "Eton Rifles" towards the end of 1979, that their stature began to grow immeasurably. In early 1980 the Jam were just beginning to grow bigger than their previous cult following, and it was also the time that their identity was beginning to shift from being more closely associated with punk, to being figureheads of that mod revival. I'd say The Chords stepped in at precisely the right moment, when the Jam's/early Who's raw slashing style of music, in addition to all other things mod related, was just beginning to become very popular.

That performance was live in part, by The Chords i believe, and most certainly the vocals, and i enjoyed the raw energy of it all.

The Chords were very much part of the mod revival that blew up in the summer of 1979, and would be all but over a year later without having made much impact at all. Although The Jam may have been supportive of some of those groups, they never allied themselves to the mod revival in terms of music or philosophy. Indeed, by mid-1980, they were citing Wire, the Gang of Four and Joy Division as influences …
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We, well ME, need a lot more details re the Linda Nolan scurrilous gossip.

It's not the [ gulp ] stomach pumping story is it ?
  • Options
    Diamond HeadDiamond Head Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We, well ME, need a lot more details re the Linda Nolan scurrilous gossip.

It's not the [ gulp ] stomach pumping story is it ?

Ask Lemmy.
  • Options
    SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    The Chords were very much part of the mod revival that blew up in the summer of 1979, and would be all but over a year later without having made much impact at all. Although The Jam may have been supportive of some of those groups, they never allied themselves to the mod revival in terms of music or philosophy. Indeed, by mid-1980, they were citing Wire, the Gang of Four and Joy Division as influences …

In a few weeks we have The Lambrettas, who seemed to be pretty much the last of the Mod revival bands to make the charts - perhaps it was the devastating double whammy of "Going Underground" and "Start" that blew the whole thing out of the water?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SgtRock wrote: »
    In a few weeks we have The Lambrettas, who seemed to be pretty much the last of the Mod revival bands to make the charts - perhaps it was the devastating double whammy of "Going Underground" and "Start" that blew the whole thing out of the water?

I'd say you're right in part, as far as chart performances go - but also Paul Weller's songwriting became increasingly mature and articulate between 1978 and 1980, and rather left all the mod revival groups look a bit two-dimensional.

Especially if they did dodgy cover versions …

*ducks for cover*

;-)

But I'm still baffled as to why the Lambrettas ended up on Rocket Records, of all labels … one of pop's less likely signings.
This discussion has been closed.