Options

Unemployment has continued to fall in Britain, while wage growth outpaced inflation

TheEngineerTheEngineer Posts: 7,791
Forum Member
Didn't see this mentioned in the forum:
Unemployment has continued to fall in Britain, while wage growth outpaced inflation at the fastest rate in almost five years.

The number out of work in the UK fell by 97,000 to 1.86 million in the three months to December.

The unemployment rate now stands at 5.7% of the working population, the Office for National Statistics said.

Average earnings including bonuses rose 2.1% in the quarter from a year earlier.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31515556

Good news for the country but not good news for Labour.

On the BBC News Channel at the moment "pretty much every piece of news on the economy is good news"

Comments

• Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People. Don't. Care.

If there is any benefit from this "good news" it's not going to the general public.

Maybe the rich are getting richer?
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't see this mentioned in the forum:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31515556

Good news for the country but not good news for Labour.

On the BBC News Channel at the moment "pretty much every piece of news on the economy is good news"

Ask the general public - do you feel better off? then ask them do you feel better off compared to 2010? then ask them do you think the wealthy are better off now than 2010?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    People. Don't. Care.

Really?

Then why did Labour drone on and on and on and on about a "cost of living crisis" which they now seem to have forgotten all about.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Really?

Then why did Labour drone on and on and on and on about a "cost of living crisis" which they now seem to have forgotten all about.
    Consumers still not yet feeling recovery in their wallets - only 9% see household financial situation improve over last month

Around twice as many people in each region of Britain still feel they are getting worse off instead of better off

Three of eight consumer confidence metrics fall in January – including both house price measures. https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCwQFjAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fyougov.co.uk%2Fnews%2F2015%2F01%2F30%2Fmuted-consumer-confidence-exposes-uks-economic-fra%2F&ei=CxnnVPvPDYXzUOvAgbAC&usg=AFQjCNEy8t_lEw4ghAvP7K1dyKPOHYp4lw&bvm=bv.86475890,d.d24. Source: YouGov/Cebr HEAT data, January 2015
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ask the general public - do you feel better off? then ask them do you feel better off compared to 2010? then ask them do you think the wealthy are better off now than 2010?

I am no worse off than I was in 2010. I am slightly better off.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

This is where it is a really smart idea to have the election in May - just as the first wage slips for the previous month start hitting the mats. Most wage increases happen after April 6th (the end of the financial year).

Wage increases are a lagging factor in an economy - they do not happen until after any improvement can be seen.
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm always a bit wary about 'average earnings' because this is always hugely different from 'earnings of the average person'.

And we have 2.1% including bonuses but 1.7% excluding bonuses and since a large chunk of the working population doesn't get bonuses, that's a lot! Likewise lots of people on nil or extremely small pay rises, so it might be that a closer look at the stats might reveal something a bit more helpful because right now I know who I want to start accusing of taking all the money (the boardroom) but I'd rather check first...
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    I am no worse off than I was in 2010. I am slightly better off.

I think many pensioners would say the same, it's the young, the sick and disabled, the unemployed and the low paid in work who are being hit the hardest.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    I think many pensioners would say the same, it's the young, the sick and disabled, the unemployed and the low paid in work who are being hit the hardest.

and its only going to get worse, but whats the alternative?
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After 4 and a half years years of going backwards, we're all supposed to get exciting about inching forwards for a brief period?

I'm sorry, but mostly this is due to the oil price falling, and nothing to do with anything the government have done.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Ask the general public - do you feel better off? then ask them do you feel better off compared to 2010?

absolutely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Even The Guardian says it is good news!

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/feb/18/uk-employment-rate-hits-highest-level-since-records-began
    UK employment rate hits highest level since records began
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    After 4 and a half years years of going backwards, we're all supposed to get exciting about inching forwards for a brief period?

I'm sorry, but mostly this is due to the oil price falling, and nothing to do with anything the government have done.

How come labour are allowed to take full credit for the economy growing, yet wash their hands 2nd it tanked leaving us in massive debt?

Labour supporters seem happy to harp on about the good economic times under labour, of course they were built on one massive credit bubble. And even then they couldn't balance the books.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

Clearly not true as inflation was going down before the collapse in the oil price.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the public thought the government were doing a good job they would be polling closer to 40%.

And it's the public who will be defining "economic recovery".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If the public thought the government were doing a good job they would be polling closer to 40%.

So do you think Labour will win a clear majority in May?
  • Options
    Buster1874Buster1874 Posts: 1,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People. Don't. Care.

If there is any benefit from this "good news" it's not going to the general public.

Just how big is the chip on your shoulder that you seem to carry constantly?
  • Options
    KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,539
    Forum Member

I do. I'm on less than 10k a year but the increase in the tax free allowance, frozen fuel duty, frozen tv licence and frozen council tax (probably this more than anything) has helped a lot. Under the previous lot, these things rose year on year.

Obviously I'd love to see those things cut/reduced to save me more money but if it's between a rise or frozen then It's a no brainer. If they do nothing, people complain they're paying too much. If they do something, then it's never enough. It's almost as if some people expect the Government not to just save them money but expect to pay nothing before they give the Gov't credit.
  • Options
    MattNMattN Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Better leader than Cameron and the conservatives would probably walk this election.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    How come labour are allowed to take full credit for the economy growing, yet wash their hands 2nd it tanked leaving us in massive debt?

Labour supporters seem happy to harp on about the good economic times under labour, of course they were built on one massive credit bubble. And even then they couldn't balance the books.

I'm not a Labour supporter, and I don't give Labour the credit for economic growth. Please don't put words in my mouth or make assumptions about who I support.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I still work - it's a proven way of earning more money.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I'm not a Labour supporter, and I don't give Labour the credit for economic growth. Please don't put words in my mouth or make assumptions about who I support.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=67771023&postcount=3

I guess you must have changed very recently or something.
  • Options
    CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What concerns me is that the tax take is still falling.

We have record employment numbers, which should be great and the signs of a growing economy, but falling per capita output and lower tax take, which are the signs of a recession.

None of the numbers available make much sense to me to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What concerns me is that the tax take is still falling.

From the BBC
    The ONS said self-assessed income tax receipts were £12.3bn in January, an increase of £1.7bn, or 15.6%, compared with January 2014.

Meanwhile, Treasury revisions to government spending showed departments spent £1.5bn less in the year to date.

And other revisions, which showed an increase of £0.5bn in VAT receipts and £0.4bn in other tax receipts, all helped to reduce government borrowing.
    Tax receipts and spending both grew in line with expectations. In the year to date, total current receipts grew by 3.1%, as against the full-year forecast of 3%.
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=67771023&postcount=3

I guess you must have changed very recently or something.

OOF! :D

There goes his credibility.