Options

Unemployment has continued to fall in Britain, while wage growth outpaced inflation

Comments

• Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    I still work - it's a proven way of earning more money.

Yes but working to top up your pension isn't the same as claiming benefits to top up your wages as a lot of low paid working age people are having to do.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Yes but working to top up your pension isn't the same as claiming benefits to top up your wages as a lot of low paid working age people are having to do.

And lets not forget that child care costs so people can go to work have increased 33% in 5 years, wonder how many people have had a 33% pay rise.
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=67771023&postcount=3

I guess you must have changed very recently or something.

Haha. Good catch.
  • Options
    Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have a question.

if labour were in office now, would all you labourites be cheering or jeering the economic news we have right now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have a question.

if labour were in office now, would all you labourites be cheering or jeering the economic news we have right now?

I don't see how you can do either, yes it is good news that average wages are outpacing inflation at the moment, but according to the Guardian link this "good news" may not last
    John Philpott, the director of The Jobs Economist, pointed out that without factoring in bonuses, pay growth remained relatively weak, at 1.7%.

“Although the December bonus season pushed growth in total average weekly earnings above 2%, underlying pay pressure as measured by regular average weekly earnings fell slightly.

“This suggests that the jobs rich economic recovery is still failing to boost labour productivity, which does not bode well for long-term improvement in UK living standards, even if very low price inflation is at present helping to raise real incomes,” he said.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    I don't see how you can do either, yes it is good news that average wages are outpacing inflation at the moment, but according to the Guardian link this "good news" may not last

1.7% is still 6 times more than the rate of inflation and as for productivity been saying for sometime that productivity increases would be needed for wages to rise significantly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    1.7% is still 6 times more than the rate of inflation and as for productivity been saying for sometime that productivity increases would be needed for wages to rise significantly.

And after years of no wage increases, 33% rise in child care cost , energy prices have doubled in 10 years, most councils are planing to increse council tax by 1.9% . Just a few examples.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    And after years of no wage increases, 33% rise in child care cost , energy prices have doubled in 10 years, most councils are planing to increse council tax by 1.9% . Just a few examples.

That's just it, they give with one hand and take away with the other, which is why overall most people are finding it hard to see any difference.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    If the public thought the government were doing a good job they would be polling closer to 40%.

And it's the public who will be defining "economic recovery".

Yeah but it’s the public favouring right wing of the Tories and splitting the vote with UKIP that’s stopping that
  • Options
    mungobrushmungobrush Posts: 9,332
    Forum Member
    I think many pensioners would say the same, it's the young, the sick and disabled, the unemployed and the low paid in work who are being hit the hardest.

Hit by what?
    Inflation is at record low levels. There's nothing to be hit by
  • Options
    Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

id rather trust economists than a newspaper article. in other news, the chancellor has an unexpected 8 BILLION pound surplus this month due to higher tax receipts. do you think this is good news?
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yet another pointless Tory thread where the OP deliberately ignores the fact that all the economic good news has made absolutely no difference to the polling numbers and the Tories still won't win the election in May - and will at best be the largest party.

Why can't they accept the reality that people judge things through their pay-packet and costs rather than the economic data that vomited out like a bad curry?
  • Options
    mungobrushmungobrush Posts: 9,332
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »
    Yet another pointless Tory thread where the OP deliberately ignores the fact that all the economic good news has made absolutely no difference to the polling numbers and the Tories still won't win the election in May - and will at best be the largest party.

Why can't they accept the reality that people judge things through their pay-packet and costs rather than the economic data that vomited out like a bad curry?

Because deep down everyone knows that this government has rescued us from a near economic collapse thanks to Gordon Brown.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mungobrush wrote: »
    Because deep down everyone knows that this government has rescued us from a near economic collapse thanks to Gordon Brown.

Was the near economic collapse really caused by Gordon Brown, eh?

Are you really that delusional?
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    Was the near economic collapse really caused by Gordon Brown, eh?

Are you really that delusional?

But does mungobrush have a point? :)

If there is a Financial Crisis which is triggered in Athens, and has it's origins in Athens, and quickly spreads, and spreads to the UK....surely mungobrush is simply pointing out that the Tories will be 100% to blame? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    id rather trust economists than a newspaper article. in other news, the chancellor has an unexpected 8 BILLION pound surplus this month due to higher tax receipts. do you think this is good news?

Yes I do, but according to Reuters there usually is a surplus in January, the surplus this January though was boosted by delayed payments of bonuses in the 2013/14 tax year

Which again means there is no saying there will be a surplus next month or the month after, or the month after etc, etc.

January is usually a surplus month due to self-assessment tax return receipts. This year those figures were boosted by delayed payments of bonuses in the 2013/14 tax year..

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/02/20/uk-britain-retail-idUKKBN0LO0NU20150220
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KIIS102 wrote: »
    I do. I'm on less than 10k a year but the increase in the tax free allowance, frozen fuel duty, frozen tv licence and frozen council tax (probably this more than anything) has helped a lot. Under the previous lot, these things rose year on year.

I'm getting under 8k a year and the increase in tax free allowance, frozen fuel duty and frozen council tax has made no difference to me, but the hike in utility bills, VAT and other price rises have.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hit by what?
    Inflation is at record low levels. There's nothing to be hit by

Yes well I guess you're right. I hardly expect the unemployed will be hit by a rise in their benefits, or that working people on low wages will be hit with a pay rise or a rise in their benefits. ;-)
  • Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member

rescued?? For real when food banks have been made popular plus jobs are dire
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=67771023&postcount=3

I guess you must have changed very recently or something.

2013, and I was writing that I was unimpressed by Labour. It hardly proves your point.
  • Options
    GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    People. Don't. Care.

If there is any benefit from this "good news" it's not going to the general public.

Maybe the rich are getting richer?

The general public know what life is costing them. Constantly hitting them with statistics that try to show how rosy everything is, are unbelievably crass. It amazes me how bad modern politics has become at this kind of thing. I would prefer it if all the right wing think tanks and organisations that generate this crap would be ignored by the media. It would also be nice if politicians in government fessed up once in a while and stopped blaming any negativity on - well - anyone else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    GibsonSG wrote: »
    The general public know what life is costing them. Constantly hitting them with statistics that try to show how rosy everything is, are unbelievably crass. It amazes me how bad modern politics has become at this kind of thing. I would prefer it if all the right wing think tanks and organisations that generate this crap would be ignored by the media. It would also be nice if politicians in government fessed up once in a while and stopped blaming any negativity on - well - anyone else.

The mean the age of spin doctors we now live in, like this The MoJ's ten-step spin doctor process. MPs are questioning the number of spin doctors checking over government pronouncements before they are released, after a leaked memo revealed just how many Ministry of Justice (MoJ) officials check answers given to parliamentarians.

Internal departmental guidance seen by Politics.co.uk reveals an extraordinary level of control exercised by civil servants over the MoJ's messaging. At least ten people are required to sign off proposed answers before the refined, redrafted text even reaches the minister's office. It takes 15 pages of in-depth instructions for the MoJ to explain to its staff exactly how questions from MPs and peers should be answered. http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2015/01/26/you-won-t-believe-how-many-spin-doctors-are-checking-governm
  • Options
    tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,565
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »
    Also massive increases in car and home insurance in the past few years, train, air and bus fares rising by more then inflation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    2013, and I was writing that I was unimpressed by Labour. It hardly proves your point.

What with that telling post and your continual defence of Labour ever since then, what conclusion should be drawn from that?
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes average figures are just no good at describing what is happening to a population.

Average wages could rise for all kinds of reasons without the wages of most people increasing, never mind the wage of the 'average' person.

There's little point in telling people that the economy is on the up because 'average earnings' are on the up, when people know what's in their own pay packet. Most of us have been on pay freezes or below inflation rises for many years now. We've been subject to pay cuts in real terms and it takes more than reading that some other people are getting above inflation pay rises to make me better off.