Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 27)

Comments

• Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    Yep, didn't get on court until 1am thanks to Foggy taking all night to get past Delbonis.

Wow. Must be a drag waiting around all day and then having to psych yourself up for a match at a time when you should be in bed.

I just read Rafa has slammed tennis chiefs for scheduling his match so late which finished at 3.24am. "No tennis tournament should end at this time. It's tough for the players, but maybe worse for the fans. It very bad on the part of the ATP.

It's not the tournament's fault. It was the ATP that didn't want to reschedule a match. If it's a Grand Slam you have a day to rest. It's seems like a terrible error to me." He only has 16 hours now to recover before facing Fabio.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow. Must be a drag waiting around all day and then having to psych yourself up for a match at a time when you should be in bed.

I just read Rafa has slammed tennis chiefs for scheduling his match so late which finished at 3.24am. "No tennis tournament should end at this time. It's tough for the players, but maybe worse for the fans. It very bad on the part of the ATP.

It's not the tournament's fault. It was the ATP that didn't want to reschedule a match. If it's a Grand Slam you have a day to rest. It's seems like a terrible error to me." He only has 16 hours now to recover before facing Fabio.

He'll still probably romp to an emphatic win anyway.
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,281
    Forum Member

It is what it is. They're both in the same boat, so it's not a great hardship and Fognini will likely find a way to beat himself anyway.
  • Options
    deedee1962deedee1962 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't find the Rio SF matches listed on Sky for today do they come on the red button? God I finally got Sky Sports to watch tennis and I can see anything but at the moment golf, football, rugby etc, I was hoping to catch Rafa's match from last night as I stayed up but then had to give in as it got so late so started to record it and after the first set it just went my sky box didn't record the rest so I was real fed up.
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jewels501 wrote: »
    Just finished watching the boy Rafa make a meal out of defeating one of the NotPabloAndujars he's faced in Rio. Good match and Pablo was really hitting the lines and had Rafa ruffled for the best part of 2 sets.

But Pablo ran put of steam and just gave up in the final set to receive a bagel and boos from the crowd.

I hope Rafa will recover in time for the match against Fognini, who after seemingly cruising, made his typically bad-tempered way to a win in three. Fognini tends to lose a lot of matches in his head so hopefully Rafa will come out firing even if tired and knock his confidence.

anyonefortennis, I knew I wouldn't get my much needed beauty sleep....:p.

Did you notice that Rafa managed to put his shorts on backwards before the 3rd? He ran out of time in the changeover and had to play with them on backwards. It was pretty funny that he had to get a ball for his second serve because he couldn't put any in his pockets.

https://twitter.com/gandaines/status/569006260273750017/photo/1

The picture is for you Deedee, It's a miracle they didn't split!
  • Options
    Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    Did you notice that Rafa managed to put his shorts on backwards before the 3rd? He ran out of time in the changeover and had to play with them on backwards. It was pretty funny that he had to get a ball for his second serve because he couldn't put any in his pockets.

I think many Rafa fans might have been hoping that they would - or that his towel would drop as he made that quick change....:p Sadly, by that time, I was losing the will to live...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenny1986 wrote: »

I couldn't believe it when I saw all the pics etc on Facebook and Twitter :o:D I am glad I went to bed in a way though it sounds like it was a good match and now I can't find it any where to watch it all, I would have thought that Sky Sports catch up would have had it on there by now but can't find it.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rafa doing well in his semi.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »

He was but not now, I think this has to go down as one of the most weired matches that I have ever seen, Fabio is bonkers and Rafa is losing the plot, fed up of it now he wont win a 10th French Open playing like this. :(
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    deedee1962 wrote: »
    He was but not now, I think this has to go down as one of the most weired matches that I have ever seen, Fabio is bonkers and Rafa is losing the plot, fed up of it now he wont win a 10th French Open playing like this. :(

Yes - Rafa was upset in 3. Amazing final point - great get from Fabio! Apparently it was Rafas first semi final loss on clay in 12 years - hard to believe if correct?:o

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2015/02/7/Rio-Saturday-Fognini-Nadal.aspx

http://clips.tennistv.com/g/v/fR1Cqpci85v
  • Options
    chloedancerchloedancer Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    Amazing news for James McGee, he's been awarded a wildcard to the Dubai main draw, will practice with Berdych tomorrow morning and Murray tomorrow evening! :)

delighted for him, but how did he manage to get that?
  • Options
    lyn2lyn2 Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    It is what it is. They're both in the same boat, so it's not a great hardship and Fognini will likely find a way to beat himself anyway.

Not this time - quite an upset. :o
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind that Rafa lost, I just wish it hadn't been to Fognini, I've gone right off him over the last year. But still, it was well played from him, he should take the title now.

I don't know whether to be concerned or not, Rafa hasn't been back long, so loses are expected. But when it happens on clay, I have to stop myself getting all doom and gloom about it.
  • Options
    amelia_leeamelia_lee Posts: 11,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firstly well done to Fabio, we all know he is very talented but cannot put his head on straight!

I have to say how unfair the tournament was especially to Nadal, I don't think anyone should take to court at 1am and finish gone 3.30am and expected to play the same day, surely something should have been done about that.

I didn't see the match, however I couldn't get to sleep so was watching the scores and twitter commentary.
    I saw people say Nadal's movement was not good, I had a look at some highlights, his shot making to me looks different, on both the forehand and backhand, I can't put my finger on it but to me it just seems different.

I saw he had an argument with Carlos too and told him not to umpire any more of his matches, I'm not really sure what he expects when he goes over the time limit all the time (which is an official rule) and then he is called on it.
  • Options
    shortiefluffshortiefluff Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amelia_lee wrote: »
    Firstly well done to Fabio, we all know he is very talented but cannot put his head on straight!

I have to say how unfair the tournament was especially to Nadal, I don't think anyone should take to court at 1am and finish gone 3.30am and expected to play the same day, surely something should have been done about that.

I didn't see the match, however I couldn't get to sleep so was watching the scores and twitter commentary.
    I saw people say Nadal's movement was not good, I had a look at some highlights, his shot making to me looks different, on both the forehand and backhand, I can't put my finger on it but to me it just seems different.

I saw he had an argument with Carlos too and told him not to umpire any more of his matches, I'm not really sure what he expects when he goes over the time limit all the time (which is an official rule) and then he is called on it.

I agree about how unfair the tournament was. No one should play that late. Rafa said after the match that he tired and wasn't sure why even though it was clearly down to his late finish in his previous match. Fognini played fine and Rafa is not back long so its not a surprise really but having less than 18 hrs between leaving court and re-entering court is wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree about how unfair the tournament was. No one should play that late. Rafa said after the match that he tired and wasn't sure why even though it was clearly down to his late finish in his previous match. Fognini played fine and Rafa is not back long so its not a surprise really but having less than 18 hrs between leaving court and re-entering court is wrong.

Did Rafa get a generous appearance fee for playing Rio?

I do agree the 3.30am finish was appalling - for the fans. Rafa has no doubt had a good week - money wise. I have more sympathy for people on minimum wage working at 3.30am every night stacking supermarket shelves than for Rafa on this occasion - sorry!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Yay, thank you Mr Fognini. Rafa fails to retain his Rio title and Andy goes back up to WR 3, well for at least a week :) I didn't see that coming after last year's US Open when he looked as if he might not even make the World Tour Finals.

3. Andy : 5460
    4. Rafa : 5745 + ( 180 - 500 ) = 5425
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »

Before I wrote this, I was thinking maybe I would jinx it. But then I thought surely Fogini can't come back from 6-1 2-2.

How wrong I was. Semi-final is not bad, albeit against a weak field. Rafa just needs his confidence back. Not sure how he's going to manage that though.
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,281
    Forum Member
    lyn2 wrote: »
    Not this time - quite an upset. :o

Haha, I knew someone would pick up on that. 12 year clay semis streak, way to jinx him eh... :blush: I may have finally washed my hands of Fabio, but fair play - if only he was more like that and less of the nonsense.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heather comfortably beat a Qatarian wildcard in qualifying for Doha yesterday. She's a set down but a break up against Saisai Zheng on court now.

And Hev loses. 2015 has been a one-week wonder for her so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    indiana44 wrote: »
    Yay, thank you Mr Fognini. Rafa fails to retain his Rio title and Andy goes back up to WR 3, well for at least a week :) I didn't see that coming after last year's US Open when he looked as if he might not even make the World Tour Finals.

3. Andy : 5460
    4. Rafa : 5745 + ( 180 - 500 ) = 5425

Andy is playing in Dubai (in Rogers half - Novak in the other half) - 500 event but Rafa is playing in Buenos Aires - 250.

Dubai doesn't pay appearance fees anymore.... So I expect Rafa to take his 250 points and a good appearance fee. Andy will probably need to make the Dubai final to keep his No 3 slot? And then its onto Indian Wells and Miami.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Andy is playing in Dubai (in Rogers half - Novak in the other half) - 500 event but Rafa is playing in Buenos Aires - 250.

Dubai doesn't pay appearance fees anymore.... So I expect Rafa to take his 250 points and a good appearance fee. Andy will probably need to make the Dubai final to keep his No 3 slot? And then its onto Indian Wells and Miami.

Does this tournament come on Sky Sports or eurosport as I can't find it in the tv guide?
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deedee1962 wrote: »
    Does this tournament come on Sky Sports or eurosport as I can't find it in the tv guide?

It's only a 250 so I doubt it, drakulastream would be your best bet probably.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Surprised Rafa is not playing at the Mexico Open. I thought he would jump at the chance to wear a sombrero like Dimi last year. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »

Andy is defending 180 points this coming week and Rafa zilch.

So if Rafa wins ATP 250 Buenos Aires, gaining 250 points, I think Andy would have to win ATP 500 Dubai, gaining a net 320 points ( 500 - 180 ) to stay ahead of Rafa.

I suspect that it will just be a one week stay back at WR 3 for Andy.
This discussion has been closed.