Options

Scottish Parents could be arrested if their children drink alcohol on family days out

Comments

• Options
    funnierinmyheadfunnierinmyhead Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    The FBI wrote: »
    Parents shouldn't be giving booze to the kids

Better they get it from other kids, who know all about moderation and how to teach appropriate behaviour around substances?
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another wizard scheme for the big-wigs, with their noses in the trough, to waste their time on.
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    It's a bit of a myth that the French don't have drink problems. ...
    I don't think anyone is painting them as being some kind of paragon of alcoholic virtue, simply that they seem to have less problems with kids turning up to school still p*ssed from the night before.
  • Options
    doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems perfectly reasonable to me. I don't get the outrage on here. There's no need for under 18s to be drinking in outdoor, public places. In fact as far as I was aware it was illegal for over 18s to do so but obviously I'm mistaken on that front. I'd go the whole hog and make it illegal for anyone to drink in outdoor public places (places without a licence.) I assumed it already was illegal as I've been fined before for drinking in the street.
  • Options
    Black CloudBlack Cloud Posts: 7,057
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    Ooh nanny Nicola at it again . She really does not have much confidence in the electorate of Scotland.

Of course not they failed to vote for independance so they obviously can't be trusted.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doe_a_deer wrote: »
    Seems perfectly reasonable to me. I don't get the outrage on here. There's no need for under 18s to be drinking in outdoor, public places. In fact as far as I was aware it was illegal for over 18s to do so but obviously I'm mistaken on that front. I'd go the whole hog and make it illegal for anyone to drink in outdoor public places (places without a licence.) I assumed it already was illegal as I've been fined before for drinking in the street.

It is illegal if the police apply for certain zones to be alcohol comsumption free.

What other things would you like to be made illegal out of curiosity?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    It is illegal if the police apply for certain zones to be alcohol comsumption free.

What other things would you like to be made illegal out of curiosity?

I can't think of anything off the top of my head, generally the experts know what they're talking about.

Oh smoking, obviously, I think should be illegal but that's a whole separate debate so I don't think we should open that can of worms here.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't think of anything off the top of my head, generally the experts know what they're talking about.

Oh smoking, obviously, I think should be illegal but that's a whole separate debate so I don't think we should open that can of worms here.

Yeah because prohibition is so effective. Wait.........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No no no doe let's get all these things out in the open, so drinking and smoking persumably this is a personal dislike or do you partake in either drinking alcohol or smoking?

The experts also say we shouldn't eat fatty foods, use sugar and salt amongst other things so do you listen to everything they say?
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Out of interest why do you want to make something illegal that you do :confused:
  • Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No no no doe let's get all these things out in the open, so drinking and smoking persumably this is a personal dislike or do you partake in either drinking alcohol or smoking?

The experts also say we shouldn't eat fatty foods, use sugar and salt amongst other things so do you listen to everything they say?

if we did everything these idiots told us the world and come a very boring place and how many jobs would be lost and how many of those idiots do the things they tell us not to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    el_bardos wrote: »
    If we’re taking that approach there isn’t a need for a hell of a lot of people to be doing a hell of a lot of things. Doesn’t mean we go around criminalising everything though, especially when you criminalise the generally responsible people while doing nothing to deal with the irresponsible.

Personally I’d far rather see a kid having a beer with their parents, in a sensible manner, than a bunch of youths necking white lightning with noone to control their consumption and teach them to recognise when they've had enough. Banning the former does nothing to stop the latter.

Indeed, but tackling the latter would be difficult, so they just go with the old gesture politics and go after the easy target. The one that won't have any effect on problem drinking and may actually make it worse.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    el_bardos wrote: »
    If we’re taking that approach there isn’t a need for a hell of a lot of people to be doing a hell of a lot of things. Doesn’t mean we go around criminalising everything though, especially when you criminalise the generally responsible people while doing nothing to deal with the irresponsible.

Personally I’d far rather see a kid having a beer with their parents, in a sensible manner, than a bunch of youths necking white lightning with noone to control their consumption and teach them to recognise when they've had enough. Banning the former does nothing to stop the latter.

Some people just will not be happy until everyone is equally miserable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    Out of interest why do you want to make something illegal that you do :confused:

;-)sadly there are some real killjoy people out there, they are of the marge simpson mindset

"Call me a killjoy, but I think that, because this is not to my tastes, no one should enjoy it"“

people of that mindset are very selfish people indeed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I do drink alcohol but I'd love to be a non-drinker and I'm trying my very best to stop drinking alcohol. (I've gone from nearly every day to nearly never but I'd love to make that final step and never drink again.)

Yes, I listen to everything they say and TRY to implement them (with varying degrees of success.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people just will not be happy until everyone is equally miserable.

that is so true they want everybody do be the same what saddos
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do drink alcohol but I'd love to be a non-drinker and I'm trying my very best to stop drinking alcohol.

Yes, I listen to everything they say and TRY to implement them (with varying degrees of success.)

So you just do as told by government i would not listen to them, As I have my own mind
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Which is what? Drinking in a public place?

I hadn't really thought about it and was just 'going with the flow' but when challenged and fined, I stopped and thought about it and realised it's not something that I or others should be doing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ;-)sadly there are some real killjoy people out there, they are of the marge simpson mindset

"Call me a killjoy, but I think that, because this is not to my tastes, no one should enjoy it"“

people of that mindset are very selfish people indeed.

Yes, it's control freakery. There's far too much of it about these days imo.

Problem is of course that any activity you can think of someone, somewhere will have a problem with it. So logically you have to ban everything.

My attitude is live and let live. If nobody is being harmed (excluding the person(s) partaking in the activity) then I couldn't give a damn.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do drink alcohol but I'd love to be a non-drinker and I'm trying my very best to stop drinking alcohol. (I've gone from nearly every day to nearly never but I'd love to make that final step and never drink again.)

So what would you do here -*imagines Wavy Mavis from Open All Hours*:D

http://www.weather.com/health/news/chocolate-may-not-be-good-you-youd-think-video-20140904

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/health/10-reasons-why-chocolate-is-good-for-you-1369798
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you just do as told by government i would not listen to them, As I have my own mind

Not at all. It has nothing to do with the government. I respect people's opinions on subjects which they have studied to great lengths and are very knowledgeable in. Why wouldn't I? I hate it when people have a strong opinion without knowledge or when people are arrogant enough to think they know better than experts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's control freakery. There's far too much of it about these days imo.

Problem is of course that any activity you can think of someone, somewhere will have a problem with it. So logically you have to ban everything.

My attitude is live and let live. If nobody is being harmed (excluding the person(s) partaking in the activity) then I couldn't give a damn.

idiots just worring about what other people do they need to get on with their own lives and stop caring about what other people do and only care about their own lives
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all. It has nothing to do with the government. I respect people's opinions on subjects which they have studied to great lengths and are very knowledgeable in. Why wouldn't I? I hate it when people have a strong opinion without knowledge or when people are arrogant enough to think they know better than experts.

will do what the hell i want with my life it's my life nobody has the right to control it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idiots just worring about what other people do they need to get on with their own lives and stop caring about what other people do and only care about their own lives

Agreed.

Not only have we got the nanny state, we seem to have developed a nanny population as well.

As you say, just get on with your own life and don't worry about what others do that's of no consequence to you. People would be a lot happier that way.