Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 63)

Comments

• Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mike, what did 10000bc get? I'm guessing around the 800k mark as Mondays tend to do a little better.
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Oscars audience was the lowest in six years - 36.6 million - Media Guardian

They need to bring in Celebrity Chase as a good lead in.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some gameshow/daytime numbers from Paul B on Bother's Bar:

BBC One

Bargain Hunt 2.18m (36.1%)
    The Link 0.90m (13.0%)
    Pointless 3.64m (24.8%)

BBC Two

Two Tribes 1.31m (7.5%)
    Eggheads 1.28m (6.7%)
    University Challenge 3.04m (13.2%)
    Only Connect 2.57m (11.1%)

ITV

Judge Rinder 1.17m (17.6%)
    Tipping Point 1.78m (25.0%)
    1,000 Heartbeats 1.39m (14.4%)
    The Chase 3.08m (21.8%)

Channel 4

Countdown 0.45m (6.9%)
    Deal or No Deal 0.47m (6.6%)
    Four in a Bed 0.71m (5.5%)
    Come Dine With Me 0.69m (7.1%)

Channel 5

10,000 BC 0.78m (5.0%)

1000 Heartbeats got off to a much better start than Mel & Sue. I think for them to keep it around they'll want it to settle a bit higher than that (especially considering the lead-in) but it isn't a bad start. Tipping Point is a beast at 3pm, 25% is excellent and it crushed The Link and Deal or No Deal. 1.8m is as high as I've ever seen ITV go at 3pm. A bit closer than of late between Pointless and The Chase. If 1000 Heartbeats can pick up a bit it could get even closer. ITV do have a pretty solid afternoon lineup now though, as long as 1000 Heartbeats doesn't drop.

C4 on the other hand have a very weak afternoon lineup, it all looks really limp. Bargain Hunt is ridiculously big for BBC1. The Link doing OK-ish but would be better away from Tipping Point.
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't understand why Tipping Point is popular. 1000 Heartbeats looks like trash aswell.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    Don't understand why Tipping Point is popular. 1000 Heartbeats looks like trash aswell.

Could say that about most of ITV these days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could say that about most of ITV these days.

True :)
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    From DS

EastEnders remained on top of the soap ratings on Monday evening (February 23) with the aftermath of the show's dramatic 30th anniversary week, overnight figures show.

EastEnders was the most-watched programme of the day, bringing in 8.43m (36.6%) at 8pm on BBC One as the Beales struggled to get their lives back on track following the revelation of Bobby's guilt. BBC Three's repeat screening secured 315k (2.3%) at 10.30pm.

Corrie also did well, attracting 7.75m (36.0%) at 7.30pm on ITV and 111k (0.5%) on +1 as Jason tried to save his relationship with Eva. The audience increased to 7.9m (34.1%) at 8.30pm and 153k (0.7%) on +1 with Eva's decision to leave Weatherfield.

Emmerdale interested 6.63m (32.8%) at 7pm on ITV as Aaron told Robert that their relationship was over for good.

Waterloo Road continued with 564k (2.4%) at 8.30pm on BBC Three for Dale's dangerous actions, while BBC One's repeat added 871k (9.6%) at 10.45pm.

Hollyoaks claimed 1.01m (5.3%) at 6.30pm on Channel 4 with Joe's reaction to Lindsey's disappearing act, while E4's first look topped the day's multichannel ratings with 703k (3.5%) at 7pm.

Neighbours entertained 691k (9.7%) at 1.45pm and 796k (5.3%) at 5.30pm on Channel 5 as Tyler Brennan's arrival caused a stir in Erinsborough.

Home and Away managed 199k (2.8%) at 1.15pm and 619k (3.6%) at 6pm on Channel 5, while 5*'s first look had 421k (2.2%) at 6.30pm.

Elsewhere, Doctors was seen by 1.66m (23.5%) at 1.45pm on BBC One.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,677
    Forum Member
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    Poldark in the Next week section of the New TV Times 7-13th March along with Comedy Drama Nurse starring Paul Whitehouse no idea which channel

TV Times also has a Top 10 new Things for Spring

Ordinary Lies BBC1 March
    Games Of Thrones Sky Atlantic April
    Home Fires ITV April
    The Game BBC1 April
    Poldark BBC1 March
    The C Word BBC1 May with rating phenom Sheridan Smith
    Code Of A killer ITV April
    The Safe House ITV April
    George Gently BBC1 April

And the big one supposedly lots of people especially in this thread are looking forward to.

Thunderbirds are Go ITV April

No mention of Jonathan Strange is odd, I thought that was due in April as well. I was expecting to start on Easter Monday, but now I'm not sure. While I'm looking forward to it I've never seen it as a potential ratings hit, quite the opposite in fact, so I wonder if they're keeping it for Summer.

- Ordinary Lies is a lock for Tuesdays, possibly starting 10th March. (Although Masterchef is due soon, and that usually gets the 9pm slot for its first week, so maybe that will start on the 10th, with OL on the 17th.)
    - The C Word is a 90 minute drama, so the likeliest place for it is the Sunday after Poldark's last episode and before the TV Baftas, 3rd May.
    - Can see George Gently going on Thursday again, and if they're avoiding BBC Two drama competition that won't be until 23rd April. (Also they can't start it before then without it being interrupted by the debate.)
    - Not sure what they'll do with The Game, they obviously have no idea where to put it as I believe it's been ready for over a year, and has already aired in America (to decent reviews.) Friday slot after The Musketeers finishes maybe? That would have it starting on Good Friday (3rd April.)
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,575
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    Mike, what did 10000bc get? I'm guessing around the 800k mark as Mondays tend to do a little better.

Sorry for lack of reply, was just in a meeting (very hectic morning)

I see the figures have been posted elsewhere

I'll try and pop back from time to time

ciao guys :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It crazy to think the coronation street and eastenders have lost 3 million in the last 4 to 5 years
  • Options
    centauri72centauri72 Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It crazy to think the coronation street and eastenders have lost 3 million in the last 4 to 5 years

Why? We know that the audiences for the soaps skew old, and being human has a natural consequence...

Meanwhile, younger viewers are not going to join at "replacement rates" when there are so many more things to do than there were back in the 60s and 80s when these programmes started.

Both the soaps will be averaging well below 5m within the next decade, and 2-3m (if they are still on air) in 20 years time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    centauri72 wrote: »
    Why? We know that the audiences for the soaps skew old, and being human has a natural consequence...

Meanwhile, younger viewers are not going to join at "replacement rates" when there are so many more things to do than there were back in the 60s and 80s when these programmes started.

Both the soaps will be averaging well below 5m within the next decade, and 2-3m (if they are still on air) in 20 years time.
    No they should be averaging 10 to 11 million considering they are on bbc and itv which is the biggest channel in england.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well 3m viewers of each soap haven't just dropped dead that's for sure. Poor quality along with more people catching up later are the major factors. As well as more to do which means many people don't have time for soaps.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    No they should be averaging 10 to 11 million considering they are on bbc and itv which is the biggest channel in england.
    No they shouldnt
    Times have changed. 4 years ago most of the UK had only 5 channels now everyone has gone Digital.

Things like I player and watching via a Tablet has seen a rise but sadly they are not included in the ratings.

Little Averages at 10/11million These days. Shows like Strictly and Bake Off were under 10m Average and rose for their finals.
    Times have changed.l and there's no point looking back.

Emmerdale and Corrie perhaps but EastEnders and Hollyoaks have much less older viewers.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    No mention of Jonathan Strange is odd, I thought that was due in April as well. I was expecting to start on Easter Monday, but now I'm not sure. While I'm looking forward to it I've never seen it as a potential ratings hit, quite the opposite in fact, so I wonder if they're keeping it for Summer.

- Ordinary Lies is a lock for Tuesdays, possibly starting 10th March. (Although Masterchef is due soon, and that usually gets the 9pm slot for its first week, so maybe that will start on the 10th, with OL on the 17th.)
    - The C Word is a 90 minute drama, so the likeliest place for it is the Sunday after Poldark's last episode and before the TV Baftas, 3rd May.
    - Can see George Gently going on Thursday again, and if they're avoiding BBC Two drama competition that won't be until 23rd April. (Also they can't start it before then without it being interrupted by the debate.)
    - Not sure what they'll do with The Game, they obviously have no idea where to put it as I believe it's been ready for over a year, and has already aired in America (to decent reviews.) Friday slot after The Musketeers finishes maybe? That would have it starting on Good Friday (3rd April.)

Yes it is odd about Jonathon Strange its been ready for ages as well and I certainly expected it soon given it was included in the drama trailers about a month ago.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    Good ratings for EastEnders. I expected somewhere in the high 7's good share too.

Tonight there is Football and Thursday they have a 15 minute clash with Emmerdale. I know that was the same last week but Thursday was the big reveal. I expect EastEnders to be dented but will come out top on both nights.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Well 3m viewers of each soap haven't just dropped dead that's for sure.

Just under half a million people died in England and Wales in 2010, and with a growing population (especially of the elderly) that number is likely also to be growing. The figures below also don't include Scotland of course, which would increase them a little more.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2011/oct/28/mortality-statistics-causes-death-england-wales-2010

So over the five years in question around 2.5 million people will have died. Will they ALL have been soap viewers? Of course not, but I dare say that their passing represents a pretty big part of the explanation of the falling viewer numbers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    No they shouldnt
    Times have changed. 4 years ago most of the UK had only 5 channels now everyone has gone Digital.

Things like I player and watching via a Tablet has seen a rise but sadly they are not included in the ratings.

Little Averages at 10/11million These days. Shows like Strictly and Bake Off were under 10m Average and rose for their finals.
    Times have changed.l and there's no point looking back.

Emmerdale and Corrie perhaps but EastEnders and Hollyoaks have much less older viewers.
    Yes they should I don't want none of that excuse how there like 300 channels and how tv changing if something is good they will watch it. Also they are on the main channel so they should be averaging higher.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just under half a million people died in England and Wales in 2010, and with a growing population (especially of the elderly) that number is likely also to be growing. The figures below also don't include Scotland of course, which would increase them a little more.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2011/oct/28/mortality-statistics-causes-death-england-wales-2010

So over the five years in question around 2.5 million people will have died. Will they ALL have been soap viewers? Of course not, but I dare say that their passing represents a pretty big part of the explanation of the falling viewer numbers.

Though surely all that really matters is how many with a ratings box actually snuffed it. That's assuming, given the ageist agenda from some on here (not you BTW), they even had any brains left that allowed them to use it. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Production has started on War and Peace, and the cast now includes Gillian Anderson, Brian Cox, Jim Broadbent, Ken Stott and Kenneth Cranham.

http://deadline.com/2015/02/war-and-peace-gillian-anderson-jim-broadbent-cast-bbc-weinstein-1201380222/

This could be superb.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Production has started on War and Peace, and the cast now includes Gillian Anderson, Brian Cox, Jim Broadbent, Ken Stott and Kenneth Cranham.

http://deadline.com/2015/02/war-and-peace-gillian-anderson-jim-broadbent-cast-bbc-weinstein-1201380222/

This could be superb.

Not airing until 2016 but what a cast, it's a co-production between the BBC and The Weinstein Company so it's going to be large scale. 6 episodes seems low for W&P, I would have 8-10 episodes max. Lily James who is going to be starring in Cinderella has one of the lead roles.
  • Options
    robjames69robjames69 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RE the soap ratings averages, EE and Corrie are actually averaging 8m so far this year, which is still a large amount of the population to reach 4 times per week 52 weeks of the year. I think EE in particular looks a lot healthier now than it did 12 months ago and could see some pretty decent numbers between now and April, September and December.

Corrie also has a live episode in September, which is their big chance to get 10m.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I would die if I had to watch these soaps. :)
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    Was not expecting Broadchurch to get a finale bump like that. It didn't seem to have the same momentum. Clearly this "switch off" has been somewhat over-exaggerated.
    Presumably they've been massively helped out by the BBC just not trying opposite it the last couple of weeks.

I have to say I switched it on for the first time this year last night and thought it was fairly poor particularly in comparison to what I saw of last year. Be interesting to see what series 3 does and whether ITV are willing to wait as long for it as they did series 2.
This discussion has been closed.