Options

Inside The Commons

Comments

• Options
    AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Rotheram has a weird haircut, I just want to get a pair of scissors and cut those long side burns off...lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they're probably used to it. The tears were because he was tired more than anything and wanted to go to bed.

I'm actually surprised there wasn't a bed in the offices for him...:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame it's the last one next week, I was really getting into it.. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    I like Steve Rotherham. He's coming across really well on this programme. Seems like a proper normal chap doing a good job in Parliament.

I liked him until he threw a tantrum because of having to sit near someone from a different party.

Not the sort of person I want running the country.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another really good episode. I wondered if they'd struggle to fill four hours but they've done really well. Very enjoyable.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,613
    Forum Member
    This programme has changed my mind totally on one thing
    I was always of the opinion that parliament should not move from the Palace of Westminster because of the traditions and history surrounding the place but after seeing just how unsuitable it is for the purpose it is time for it to move to a new location which is fit for purpose.
    Perhaps with a new parliament building we can also modernise our parliamentary system and consign some of the nonsense to the history books.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Andagha wrote: »
    I do too, they must be rather confused, especially when they get dumped with someone that's not their mum and she disappears.

That happens to thousands of children every day when they are dumped in schools and nurseries.. The HoC Nursery is excellent. They are either there or with mum or with dad. Children only care about being with mum and dad, not the wallpaper..
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have really enjoyed the programmes. There should have been more of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »
    I have really enjoyed the programmes. There should have been more of them.

Yeah it has been excellent so far.
  • Options
    Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    In this ep Labour called for the debate on the EU arrest warrant to be abandoned. So they had a vote on whether it should be abandoned.
    Can any party call on a debate to be abandoned, and they all have to vote on if it should be? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Terry N wrote: »
    In this ep Labour called for the debate on the EU arrest warrant to be abandoned. So they had a vote on whether it should be abandoned.
    Can any party call on a debate to be abandoned, and they all have to vote on if it should be? :confused:

No I don't think that you can call for a vote to cancel a vote usually but this situation was so complicated and contrived it was not like a normal debate. Am sure there are posters who can give you a better and more detailed answer to your question.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I found something about it.
    Yvette Cooper used a rare commons procedure to try to postpone the vote.

Cooper used a “question now not be put” procedure to attempt to put back the original vote to a later date when MPs could vote on all measures - including the European arrest warrant.

The Labour motion was defeated by 272 to 229, before the original government motion was passed.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's called "The Previous Question" and is on the motion that "The question be not now put". I believe it's a motion that can't be blocked by the speaker, so yes in theory an attempt can be made to shut down any debate.

There is also the closure motion ("I beg to move that the question be now put"), which as it suggests has the effect of the question under consideration immediately being put to a vote. Well, immediately after the debate and vote on whether or not to put the question. This can be blocked by the speaker.

In the EAW debate, Pete Wishart tried to move that "the question, that the question be not now put, be put" but was blocked. But he got a cheer for the phrasing.

There was, however, a successful movement of such a motion in 1989. It was put to the vote as follows:
    Mr. Speaker : No, I shall not take a point of order. I shall take the closure motion. I ask the House to listen carefully to the Question. The Question is, That the Question, That the Question be not now put, be now put.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm198889/cmhansrd/1989-01-20/Debate-7.html

In theory you can have "That the question..." nested multiple times but any reasonable speaker would never let it get that far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks. How do you know all that? Are you an MP?
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »
    I liked him until he threw a tantrum because of having to sit near someone from a different party.

Hardly a tantrum, besides many people wouldn't want to have to sit near the kippers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. How do you know all that? Are you an MP?
    No, I just take an interest in the workings of Westminster.
    boksbox wrote: »
    Hardly a tantrum, besides many people wouldn't want to have to sit near the kippers.
    Indeed, and he justified why he was uncomfortable with it - he's got nothing in common with UKIP so why should they be allowed to sit in the middle of Labour MPs.

You can tell that Carswell and Reckless have an over-inflated sense of importance. From Carswell saying he was now the UKIP "whips office", to the pair of them trying to claim their own front bench.

It'll be interesting after the election to see how the opposition benches are made up. The SNP are almost certain to be the third-largest party. Assuming they're not part of the government, that means they should have the front bench to the right of the opposition gangway (like the Lib Dems used to have).

But then is backbench seating simply by convention with no hard and fast rules? I noticed last night that Thomas Docherty went to sit on the Government side of the house to speak to Jacob Rees-Mogg and wasn't told off for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Meilie wrote: »

You think that was a rant? Nah you jest
    He was saying that he didn't want UKIP around him and why should he? Glad that the idiot Reckless got told off for using a camera in the chamber. Nice one Reckless, first day as a Kipper and you are breaking the rules
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    He was saying that he didn't want UKIP around him and why should he? Glad that the idiot Reckless got told off for using a camera in the chamber. Nice one Reckless, first day as a Kipper and you are breaking the rules
    It may be outdated, but the prayer card system has worked for god knows how long. The doorkeepers are on patrol, presumably looking out for people removing cards. Reckless feeling the need to take a photo is the epitome of the victim complex that UKIP exudes.

He also can't help himself when it comes to point-scoring. After the statement on the child abuse scandal in Rotherham, he shoe-horned in a comment about UKIP being elected to the council.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Mark. wrote: »
    It may be outdated, but the prayer card system has worked for god knows how long. The doorkeepers are on patrol, presumably looking out for people removing cards. Reckless feeling the need to take a photo is the epitome of the victim complex that UKIP exudes.

He also can't help himself when it comes to point-scoring. After the statement on the child abuse scandal in Rotherham, he shoe-horned in a comment about UKIP being elected to the council.

I've more time for Carswell, despite the fact that he's clearly ambitious - but Reckless is loathsome. Fingers crossed he'll be out of job in May.

I'm enjoying the series but I can't help but think it's two programs in one. The pomp, ceremony, customs, the building itself, the day to work of MP's and others - that's one side of it. The political gameplay inside the H of C - that's the other story. We saw a flash of that yesterday but if the GBP really wanted an insight into how Parliament works, I think there's more mileage down that road.
  • Options
    Forum Member

This prayer card system is just a small reason why parliament needs to move. What other country in the world does not have enough seats for the members? And as for prayer cards? Keep bloody religion out of it as much as possible. This is one practise that cannot be consigned to history soon enough IMO
    As for Reckless he really has no excuse for using the camera. He is not a new boy yet he still flouted the rules Not to worry for he will be out of there in May.
    Great programme this for a little insight and am sorry it will finish next week
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The prayer card system doesn't work though, what this series has shown me is that Britain must move, time for the HoC to be repaired and turned into a tourist attraction with a new fully functioning chamber built nearby, seating for all, electronic voting from within the premises etc, no more blokes walking backwards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Brilliant series so far. Last programme tonight 9PM
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evening all, I can't believe there's an MP that has been one since 1959..I can't believe he has held the same seat for that long..he really must have a safe and boring seat.
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The library is lovely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £9000 to hire out the dining room for a day...phew!!!!