Options

london vs Manchester

mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
Forum Member
Which do you prefer

There's things I think each city does better then the other. However london does win for me, as much as it's built up, it has a lot more open spaces and green areas than Manchester

Comments

• Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,579
    Forum Member
    mintbro wrote: »
    Which do you prefer

There's things I think each city does better then the other. However london does win for me, as much as it's built up, it has a lot more open spaces and green areas than Manchester

I've lived and worked in both places, but definitely Manchester. For a start it's my home town, and London is far too busy and frenetic for me these days.

I do miss London's unsurpassed theatre scene though.
  • Options
    pope_tartpope_tart Posts: 3,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Manchester...much nicer people, you can talk to strangers without them looking at you like you're a serial killer :o
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to visit Manchester but I don't know anyone there, and in my experience cities are much more fun when hanging out with people who know them.

ETA - it'd be nice if this didn't turn into yet another 'slag off London' thread, though my hopes aren't high.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know how you can mention Manchester in the same sentence as London.

I've tried many times - including again last autumn - to "get" Manchester, and I just can't. It's delights just pass me by. Especially anal treet ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    trevgo wrote: »

I've tried many times - including again last autumn - to "get" Manchester, and I just can't. It's delights just pass me by. Especially anal treet ;-)

Gotta love the trams though. :)
  • Options
    pope_tartpope_tart Posts: 3,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Especially anal treet ;-)

Had some great nights out there:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pope_tart wrote: »
    Had some great nights out there:D

I did too ... in my youth. Not too bothered about the gay scene these days!
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every time I've been to Manchester it's been raining.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I prefer somewhere in between like round here.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    London for me. Manchester's alright but I much prefer London. I like Cardiff too, I'd rather go there than Manchester.
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    London by a mile. Both are nice cities. It's cheaper to live in Manchester and it's a nice city. However, there is so much to do in London. You can never get bored. I don't understand how people can say "oh but it's just too busy". Well if you live there and go to Oxford Street on a Saturday then of course it's going to be busy as it's a tourist hot spot. There are so many different things to do and so many different places to go to in London other than the busy Oxford Street and Trafalgar Square etc. It's a fantastic city.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    London by a mile. Both are nice cities. It's cheaper to live in Manchester and it's a nice city. However, there is so much to do in London. You can never get bored. I don't understand how people can say "oh but it's just too busy". Well if you live there and go to Oxford Street on a Saturday then of course it's going to be busy as it's a tourist hot spot. There are so many different things to do and so many different places to go to in London other than the busy Oxford Street and Trafalgar Square etc. It's a fantastic city.

Whenever I've been to London it seems to be busy everywhere! I used to love getting around by Tube but even that's a nightmare these days, especially as my partner is disabled.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mintbro wrote: »
    Which do you prefer

London is much larger than Manchester, so it should have more green & open spaces.

However, Manchester is surrounding by some stunning areas, like the Peak District & High Peak in Derbyshire & The Moors & Saddleworth in Oldham & Yorkshire.

As to which is best, it's obviously London; being the Capital, it has every centred around it.
  • Options
    mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    London is much larger than Manchester, so it should have more green & open spaces.

However, Manchester is surrounding by some stunning areas, like the Peak District & High Peak in Derbyshire & The Moors & Saddleworth in Oldham & Yorkshire.

As to which is best, it's obviously London; being the Capital, it has every centred around it.

You need a car though to get them places, where as in london there's huge parks within walking distance.
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've lived in Manchester since the 70's, before that London for many years (not born in either so no axe to grind there). London seems better because it gets a huge slice of the arts funding budget, and every other budget for that matter, so as a visitor it seems great. Manchester's strength is in its people, it's only after you have been here for a while that you realise how unfriendly many other areas are especially London. The people here are warm, friendly and helpful and unlike London, Scouse aside perhaps, don't judge you on your accent. It is my adopted home and I have no intention of leaving it. When i first lived here I used to drive at least once a week over the Cat and Fiddle pass to Buxton and back. I couldn't believe such stunning scenery could be so close to a big city.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not a great fan of either city, but that is as I do not like cities all that much.
    I do eat out in Manchester a fair bit and go to stage shows there, but that is as it is the nearer city to me out of the two.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,967
    Forum Member
    Why Manchester? A better comparison would be the second city surely?
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member

The delightless anal treet sounds like Lancashire hooker.
  • Options
    m-riverm-river Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've lived in both, I love London as a city better but I prefer living in Manchester because the northerners are easier to have a laugh with
  • Options
    Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Neither, outside the UK many other cities beat these two into the ground and leave them looking like the pathetic little wretches they are.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    Neither, outside the UK many other cities beat these two into the ground and leave them looking like the pathetic little wretches they are.

Ok, I'll bite (since I assume you wanted someone to): such as? Obviously compared to London, Manchester's not exactly a 'world' city.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,642
    Forum Member
    I really don't want to turn this into a "friendly north vs unfriendly south" battle but what is this fascination with wanting to talk to strangers wherever you go? It is a generalisation but why do people in the north want to talk to strangers?

By the way, I live in London but can appreciate both London and Manchester. London is obviously the capital city, and a "world" city too so will perhaps have more to do and see, but Manchester is a great place too. I've had some brilliant weekends etc in Manchester - plenty to see and do and I've never come back with anything negative to say.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »

Your location is a "pathetic little wretch"? Why are you still there?
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a big fan of Manchester, probably my favourite city in the UK. I like London but it irritates me that everything is so spread out. A simple night out is a pain in the arse because you have to faff around getting the tube everywhere and then either a ludicrously expensive taxi or a night bus back. I do love Camden though.
    malpasc wrote: »
    I really don't want to turn this into a "friendly north vs unfriendly south" battle but what is this fascination with wanting to talk to strangers wherever you go? It is a generalisation but why do people in the north want to talk to strangers?

If you're in a new city, the best way to find out about it is to talk to a local. When we ere on holiday in the US we spent many an afternoon sat in bars chatting with locals, especially in San Francisco we discovered some great places that we'd probably never have found out about.
  • Options
    dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    London is a World City,it feels like a capital,which Manchester or any other city in the UK does not.Agree with a previous poster about the trams though.Wish we had a similar large network in London.