Options

Alicia and Lachlan ** May contain spoilers**

Comments

• Options
    srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    Sally77 wrote: »

If this is true, as much as I completely sympathise with Alicia I really hope it's not going to be months of her not telling anyone, awkward moments with David and when she try to tell someone, someone else comes in meaning she keeps quiet.

Yes, that would have been terrible; so boring, repetitive and tedious. That kind of thing is so, so overdone in soaps.
    kaiserbee wrote: »
    Will it? In what way do you think there is room for a complex debate?

The age of criminal responsibility is 10-years old and from this age onwards, a child can be arrested and charged with a crime.

Rape is a crime.

The age of consent has no bearing on the issue; it exists to protect children from being abused, not to give them the power to commit abuse.

Good post.
    Fair_Doos wrote: »
    He seems right tech minded, maybe he is going to take stalking to a whole other level and have webcams etc set up to watch her every move ........ creepy

That could be interesting but it wouldn't fit in with never having been done before. Not sure about other soaps but Hollyoaks have done it twice.
  • Options
    Redhead69Redhead69 Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Natalie played the traumatised victim really well, She was very convincing (her acting). It must be hard for the young lad to play this part. I wonder if he gets any stick at school !! Its about time Emmerdale won more awards !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Redhead69 wrote: »
    I thought Natalie played the traumatised victim really well, She was very convincing (her acting). It must be hard for the young lad to play this part. I wonder if he gets any stick at school !! Its about time Emmerdale won more awards !

It really must have been difficult for them both to film the actual assault scene, kudos to them for pulling it off so well.
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been the biggest critic of Emmerdale recently - poor casting, writing, direction and acting; bringing back Toxic Tracy and wooden-face Rachel was a strange decision.
    But last night's episodes were utterly mind-blowing, such excellent writing, direction and performances by everyone in the Alicia/Lachlan story; An unpleasant story, but delivered in a careful way so as not to give offence . I will be be tuned in to see how the story progresses.
  • Options
    desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought these scenes were well acted by Alicia and Lurkie. Whatever the outcome at least we were spared weeks of not telling anyone, then when trying to tell someone, they keep interrupting or getting interrupted. Alicia did the right thing, went toher sister (who else?) then informed the police. Lurkie is a bl**dy menace to women judging from what we have been told about his back story.

BTW Rakesh will not be able to get involved, he is going to be busy with one case at a time. Jai was on the phone to him last night plotting to get Archie away from Rachel yet again (sigh). Incidentally, I always though Rakesh was a business/company lawyer, not a maid of all work as Emmerdale seem to see him, wasn't he up in court for the Charity (spit) trial a few weeks ago?
  • Options
    Soapfan678Soapfan678 Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought these scenes were well acted by Alicia and Lurkie. Whatever the outcome at least we were spared weeks of not telling anyone, then when trying to tell someone, they keep interrupting or getting interrupted. Alicia did the right thing, went toher sister (who else?) then informed the police. Lurkie is a bl**dy menace to women judging from what we have been told about his back story.

BTW Rakesh will not be able to get involved, he is going to be busy with one case at a time. Jai was on the phone to him last night plotting to get Archie away from Rachel yet again (sigh). Incidentally, I always though Rakesh was a business/company lawyer, not a maid of all work as Emmerdale seem to see him, wasn't he up in court for the Charity (spit) trial a few weeks ago?

I agree.

It looks like others are right on here.
    It looks like others were right on here. I thought Alicia would accuse Lachlan. Well, she has accused him, because he touched her without her consent. However, Lachlan will not twist it and say she asked him to touch her. Apologies to the other posters on here. I am sorry. I got it wrong.
  • Options
    ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just read today that the actor playing Lachlan is actually 14. Really hope he stays away from Twitter and Facebook.
  • Options
    puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ArtyAttack wrote: »
    Just read today that the actor playing Lachlan is actually 14. Really hope he stays away from Twitter and Facebook.

Have people been nasty about him?

Jeez he's just the actor, poor guy.
  • Options
    silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    Did I miss it? Did I blink for longer than normal? I don't recall 'seeing' any sort of sexual assault. We are led to believe that is what he did because it was left to the imagination of the viewer. Now I have a very vivid imagination but I for one only 'saw' him pulling the blanket down and her skirt up. So really it is left to the viewer. Alicia's reaction and claim that she had been sexually assaulted was over the top, because we only 'imagined' what the boy was doing because it couldn't be shown on screen.
  • Options
    silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    Personally, I believe that the nine o'clock watershed is now being totally ignored by the soaps. If I had been babysitting by eleven year old grandson, I would have been feeling very uncomfortable. A soap is a soap - there is no need to introduce sex/gays/unwanted pregnancies/death/murder/arson etc into every storyline, IMHO. I know there won't be many who will agree with me tho!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have people been nasty about him?

Jeez he's just the actor, poor guy.

Exactly. It seems some people may confuse the actor with the character.:(

The actor has been brilliant through this story and I hope he gets nominated for the soap awards soon. I know Emmerdale rarely wins much. However, the actor deserves to be nominated for an award.
  • Options
    Melephunk2010Melephunk2010 Posts: 38,387
    Forum Member
    ArtyAttack wrote: »

I thought the actor was 17 but the character 14??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silversox wrote: »
    Personally, I believe that the nine o'clock watershed is now being totally ignored by the soaps. If I had been babysitting by eleven year old grandson, I would have been feeling very uncomfortable. A soap is a soap - there is no need to introduce sex/gays/unwanted pregnancies/death/murder/arson etc into every storyline, IMHO. I know there won't be many who will agree with me tho!!

Emmerdale warned viewers and let them know some viewers may find the episode distressing. It is up to viewers to listen to that and turn off the show. Emmerdale warned viewers before the episode started, so the show shouldn't be blamed if the episode was too much for some viewers.
  • Options
    Melephunk2010Melephunk2010 Posts: 38,387
    Forum Member

I fail to see the reason why you have mentioned "gays" ???

Your grandson seeing two men kiss is hardly going to scar him for life.

If anything you should be letting him know that homosexuality is completely normal and not something to be discriminated.

Soaps are NOT for children. It's really that simple.
  • Options
    Hotton BotheredHotton Bothered Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Given that the majority of the village concluded in no time that Nicola was a child kidnapper, I can't see that Alicia is going to find it easy to quickly prove that all the fault lies with Lachlan. It may well appear as if she's come home and said 'Let's close the shop, then you can come upstairs with me and drink alcohol'.

Her husband asked her not to keep the handbag and she assured him she wouldn't. The moment she's left alone with the kid , she goes back on her word to David and takes very little persuading to keep it.

Alicia will rightfully claim to have had a skin full at The Woolpack, but equally what affect did alcohol have on Lachlan and lead to his subsequent actions? Most recent examples will surely carry most weight, and when he was sober Belle offered him sex on a plate, and knowing that it wasn't really what she wanted, he didn't lay a finger on ( or in) her.

Belle's testimony is going to be crucial, and may well indicate in the eyes of the law that Alicia's irresponsible decision to allow the schoolboy to consume alcohol was a significant factor. If Lachlan says he'd drunk 3 or 4 glasses of wine, and had initially out of curiosity been looking for Alicia's gun shot wound (inflicted by Cameron) when he stupidly and drunkenly allowed a finger to go where it shouldn't have, it'll take some disproving.

I think we can rest assured that Alicia will eventually be declared the innocent party, and Lachlan the undoubted bad boy, but I can see why she may not find it straightforward to prove that she's entirely blameless.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought the actor was 17 but the character 14??

I don't actually know, but going by how much he's been on screen, I would think he'd be over 16 due to working laws. I'd also imagine that ED would not have hired a minor to portray this character. Thomas has done a brilliant job portraying Lachlan so far. Natalie was outstanding last night as well.

EDIT: I've just read the DS article and Thomas has a chaperone, so maybe he is under 16?!
  • Options
    cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    Given that the majority of the village concluded in no time that Nicola was a child kidnapper, I can't see that Alicia is going to find it easy to quickly prove that all the fault lies with Lachlan. It may well appear as if she's come home and said 'Let's close the shop, then you can come upstairs with me and drink alcohol'.

Her husband asked her not to keep the handbag and she assured him she wouldn't. The moment she's left alone with the kid , she goes back on her word to David and takes very little persuading to keep it.

Alicia will rightfully claim to have had a skin full at The Woolpack, but equally what affect did alcohol have on Lachlan and lead to his subsequent actions? Most recent examples will surely carry most weight, and when he was sober Belle offered him sex on a plate, and knowing that it wasn't really what she wanted, he didn't lay a finger on ( or in) her.

Belle's testimony is going to be crucial, and may well indicate in the eyes of the law that Alicia's irresponsible decision to allow the schoolboy to consume alcohol was a significant factor. If Lachlan says he'd drunk 3 or 4 glasses of wine, and had initially out of curiosity been looking for Alicia's gun shot wound (inflicted by Cameron) when he stupidly and drunkenly allowed a finger to go where it shouldn't have, it'll take some disproving.

I think we can rest assured that Alicia will eventually be declared the innocent party, and Lachlan the undoubted bad boy, but I can see why she may not find it straightforward to prove that she's entirely blameless.

I'm sure the court case will be messy, especially as Lachlan seems like a sociopath with a weird self-belief and an answer for everything, but it's not possible to accidentally sexually assault someone. Put Alicia's clear evidence (and forensics) together with his strange stalker behaviour and what Chrissie knows about the photographs and Lachlan's past, it should end up with Lachlan heading (eventually) to Young Offenders, where he needs to go. Or a psychiatric unit to get help.

I suspect the story may rest on whether Chrissie is prepared to face up to what he's done to Alicia, and come forward with the evidence about his background which will condemn him.
  • Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So you want soaps to be completely unrelated to real life where "gays" exist, unwanted pregnancies happen every day, sex is quite an important and natural occurance and a little thing called death happens?

You think characters should never die? What should happen then? Should characters just leave if the actor leaves/dies? Even if a 90 year old character is leaving, they should do what exactly? Suddenly decide to travel the world or stay with a random relative rather than have your grandson knows that sometimes, old people die? Why don't you just stick with CBBC?
  • Options
    Hotton BotheredHotton Bothered Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    I don't know how old anyone is, and I'm not claiming that the Daily Star is always the most reliable source of facts :) but in yesterday's edition they stated:

Fans will know that Lachlan (Thomas Atkinson, 14) has developed an unhealthy infatuation with the sexy villager (Natalie Anderson, 33) even giving her expensive gifts.

Even though her husband David (Matthew Wolfenden, 34) is concerned, she has failed to properly address the issue but tonight things takes a sinister turn.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz-tv/hot-tv/427600/Hot-TV-Soaps-Emmerdale-Lachlan-obsession-married-woman-Alicia-Metcalfe

'If' they've got the ages correct for Matthew and Natalie, there must be a fair chance they're also accurate on Thomas ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    I just wanted to say that she Alicia was wearing shorts,not a short skirt,which is why you see him undoing her belt.
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member

What sort of Victorian world are you living in? What's wrong with gays being on soaps? A huge number of teens identify as gay, lesbian or transgender. Unwanted pregnancies affect young people. Death affects everybody. Maybe you should stick to the Daily Mail?
  • Options
    gamekeepersgalgamekeepersgal Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just wanted to say that she Alicia was wearing shorts,not a short skirt,which is why you see him undoing her belt.

I was just signing in to say this ^^, The fact he physically undid her belt made it more harrowing for me, not just a case of slipping his hand up her skirt which would of been bad enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I fail to see the reason why you have mentioned "gays" ???

Your grandson seeing two men kiss is hardly going to scar him for life.

If anything you should be letting him know that homosexuality is completely normal and not something to be discriminated.

Soaps are NOT for children. It's really that simple.

I was wondering about that too... I'm struggling to think how gay people and storylines about them are comparable to murder, arson etc...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    That daily star article makes a huge error - "she has failed to address the issue properly" ...why do they ALWAYS victim blame?!
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That daily star article makes a huge error - "she has failed to address the issue properly" ...why do they ALWAYS victim blame?!

Unfortunately that just shows why soaps need to do storylines like these - there are still so many misconceptions about cases like this - it is NEVER the victim's fault.