LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 29)

Comments

• Options
    Charlie DrakeCharlie Drake Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's just great!

I like Steve but I think that's so funny! :D
    Do you recommend getting on Twitter (I've resisted so far)? … I'm afraid.. :D … Ladies and Gentlemen … weaving it all in … we've got one here … Twickenham … Bentley … 84850 ...
  • Options
    orangeballoonorangeballoon Posts: 10,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you recommend getting on Twitter (I've resisted so far)? … I'm afraid.. :D

i cant speak for who you asked...
    but twitter is well worth setting up, not to post but to get "news" - "one liners" and updates on your interests...

i recommend after setting up a twitter account (so you can then "follow" the twitter feeds you like (be them people like steve allen to parodies of people like steve allen...) to the newspapers and organisations that you would like to see "the latest from"

and the best way to read them is using twitter's "tweetdeck" as it gives 4+ columns of scrolling filters (you can add more to your interest) so you then dont miss anything... https://about.twitter.com/products/tweetdeck https://tweetdeck.twitter.com/

you never have to actually "tweet" - and if you do, look for the blue tick confirming they are the real thing - somehow steve got one even though he only had 18000 followers... the parodies of royal maiI (its an I not an L). & @Aldicustcare for example get tweeted by accident or intercept tweets to the real thing... they can be really really funny.. but in a very adult audience way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i cant speak for who you asked...
    but twitter is well worth setting up, not to post but to get "news" - "one liners" and updates on your interests...

i recommend after setting up a twitter account (so you can then "follow" the twitter feeds you like (be them people like steve allen to parodies of people like steve allen...) to the newspapers and organisations that you would like to see "the latest from"

and the best way to read them is using twitter's "tweetdeck" as it gives 4+ columns of scrolling filters (you can add more to your interest) so you then dont miss anything...

you never have to actually "tweet" - and if you do, look for the blue tick confirming they are the real thing - somehow steve got one even though he only had 18000 followers... the parodies of royal maiI (its an I not an L). Aldi cust care for example get tweeted by accident or intercept tweets to the real thing... they can be really really funny.. but in a very adult audience way.
    OK - thanks! (I'm afraid).
  • Options
    connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    Do you recommend getting on Twitter (I've resisted so far)? … I'm afraid.. :D … Ladies and Gentlemen … weaving it all in … we've got one here … Twickenham ...
    Yes I think you should see what it is like. orangeballoon has said a lot about above.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I think you should see what it is like. orangeballoon has said a lot about above.
    Thank you too, connor. I'll have a look.

On another note, isn't it incredible when someone phones LBC who has a different (experienced) point of view from the presenter - suddenly it's time to go to news/travel/weather etc. … (I'm afraid).

Also, nice to hear (ever so briefly) from Keith Vaz, who I do admire.
  • Options
    CayceCayce Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    Thank you too, connor. I'll have a look.

On another note, isn't it incredible when someone phones LBC who has a different (experienced) point of view from the presenter - suddenly it's time to go to news/travel/weather ect. ... (I'm afraid).

'Fraid so. I knew someone who was more than equipped in their field of work, ring in. I was so surprised to hear him I can even remember where I was driving at the time when I heard his knowledge/pearls of wisdom spelt out on-air. Quickly he was debunked, given short shrift and suddenly ads/news/ travel took over. A crying shame but, this possibly typifies commercial radio of today, whereby presenters all too often want to take a superficial glance without probing further. In which case a reality check wouldn't go amiss?
  • Options
    gamzattiwoogamzattiwoo Posts: 3,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often get them. I had one persistent guy from 'Consumer Marketing' who phone three times !. This morning when he rang again, I asked him to hold on for a minute. Put the phone on mute and carried on with what I was doing! I think he lasted about a minute !

Other 'favourites' are calls from 'Microsoft' (not). Depending on time, you can either go along with what they are asking you to do, and then suddenly say that your screen has gone haywire (obviously you are not doing anything), or ask which computer they are referring to, or tell them that you use an iPad or other Apple product ! Any of those tends to get rid of them quickly !

Yes but with that microsoft it is not just a cold call is it? They are evil scammers and if someone unaware did what they asked and let them into their computer they would be defrauded of a lot of money.
    I get these quite a lot and will keep them hanging on with just a minute while I turn on my computer etc. are you still there?
    There was a clip on youtube of someone who kept them going for about half an hour.Which was quite amusing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    it's @stevepratallen but its not for those who like people only being nice...

So funny! Well worth a look.
  • Options
    BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    sounds very normal for a sales team... and that is what they are... they all "front" a franchise ( in this case a time slot) and get rated for their performance in grabbing the audience... being a very commercial business they are not going to be rated on "entertainment" but the ability to obtain the type of listener the marketing people want for the advert slots they sell... the product is less important to the results at that meeting stage.. global has already set the station style by having its themed stable of radio stations.. the presenters then just have to fit with that remit and attract an audience.. its a very different perspective they start with :)

Very normal for many employees in the private sector, certainly mine. These people who live in a rarified world where their performance at work is not monitored, or reflected in their pay, or used to either improve their contribution or sack them make me laugh. Get real. Jesus.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm getting very hacked off with Liza Aziz's absolutely dreadful news presentation. shes turning into a parody of herself. I also do not need Ms. Aziz to continually rate every interview
    "That was very interesting"
    "That was great, thanks"
    "Good to talk to you"
    "Good to hear from you"

Just read the news, I'll decide for myself if it was "very interesting" I am not interested in your personal opinion on ANYthing.
    Thank you!
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    I'm getting very hacked off with Liza Aziz's absolutely dreadful news presentation. shes turning into a parody of herself. I also do not need Ms. Aziz to continually rate every interview
    "That was very interesting"
    "That was great, thanks"
    "Good to talk to you"
    "Good to hear from you"

Just read the news, I'll decide for myself if it was "very interesting" I am not interested in your personal opinion on ANYthing.
    Thank you!

I too find her irritating, so I don't listen, but surely her remarks are directed at the interviewees as a polite way of winding up the conversation?

Morning all. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I too find her irritating, so I don't listen, but surely her remarks are directed at the interviewees as a polite way of winding up the conversation?

Morning all. :)

What's wrong with a simple "thank you".?

If she cut the crap out she'd have a bit more time to SHOUT HER NEXT NEWS ITEM at us.
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member

Really? I think he is one of the most odious men in politics. I would read into his murky past and see if that changes your opinion.
  • Options
    CayceCayce Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    Lisa Aziz would be better off conducting square-bashing in the Army, shouting orders with her screechy voice. I now have no choice but to turn off the morning news.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JT2060 wrote: »
    Really? I think he is one of the most odious men in politics. I would read into his murky past and see if that changes your opinion.
    Fair enough - I'll have a browse. Thanks.
    Edit: Very enlightening - surprising he heads the Home Affairs Select Committee (amongst other appointments) in view of all that.
  • Options
    P.RamleeP.Ramlee Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James O'Brien quote of the day - From paklava to balaklava.
  • Options
    makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    Much to my surprise (because I didn't think his employer would like him to say it), JOB has just made a comment about how commercial organisations like Sky and LBC give time to 'box-office' interviewees as they need bums on seats to survive. In other words, admitting that they get on controversial people on purpose, even knowing they are not really representative.
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^Make sense, makeba - Sky News is a loss-making channel on the Sky network and it's practically propped up. I don't think it has ever made a profit.
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    makeba72 wrote: »
    Much to my surprise (because I didn't think his employer would like him to say it), JOB has just made a comment about how commercial organisations like Sky and LBC give time to 'box-office' interviewees as they need bums on seats to survive. In other words, admitting that they get on controversial people on purpose, even knowing they are not really representative.

'Twas ever thus. I shouldn't think the Beeb is guiltless in this. I'm sure when they put together a panel for, say, Question Time, they choose people with controversial views on prospective topics, even though it might be a minority view.

It would be very dull if we only heard from nice people who agree with everything and everybody. Ferrari pulls in the listeners because there's always the possibility that there will be controversy. Kay Burley telling the representative of CAGE to get over himself has clocked up over 23,000 views. Way to go, Kay - although I'm still glad you've left LBC!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMEb-xd4PiI
  • Options
    Forum Member
    'Twas ever thus. I shouldn't think the Beeb is guiltless in this. I'm sure when they put together a panel for, say, Question Time, they choose people with controversial views on prospective topics, even though it might be a minority view.

It would be very dull if we only heard from nice people who agree with everything and everybody. Ferrari pulls in the listeners because there's always the possibility that there will be controversy. Kay Burley telling the representative of CAGE to get over himself has clocked up over 23,000 views. Way to go, Kay - although I'm still glad you've left LBC!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMEb-xd4PiI

If we'd had a bit more of thst Kay on LBC I'd have been very happy for her to stay!

Her face at the end of that clip is priceless.
  • Options
    Mike RackabitMike Rackabit Posts: 4,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brian absolutely destroyed one caller (from an organisation I don't recall the exact name of) who couldn't explain why the West's foreign policy directly led to radicalisation and beheadings. It was brilliantly executed (no pun intended) by Brian.
  • Options
    Diamond HeadDiamond Head Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brian absolutely destroyed one caller (from an organisation I don't recall the exact name of) who couldn't explain why the West's foreign policy directly led to radicalisation and beheadings. It was brilliantly executed (no pun intended) by Brian.

Are you feeling ok?
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree.

The caller tried to give as good as he got, but his argument was too flawed for him to win an oratory battle against O'Brien.
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Fair enough - I'll have a browse. Thanks.
    Edit: Very enlightening - surprising he heads the Home Affairs Select Committee (amongst other appointments) in view of all that.

There is one reason he survives, and most people know why.
  • Options
    Mike RackabitMike Rackabit Posts: 4,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you feeling ok?

Praise where it is due, DH.

Are you a fan of the NWOBHM legends, by the way?
This discussion has been closed.