Options

Will MAdonna go to no 1 with Living FOr Love this week?

Comments

• Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be happy if she makes top 5 or 10, not expecting the top spot though
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is radio 1 DO dictate the charts though to a certain extent...that's the irony. If You are playlisted on R1 , you are pretty much guaranteed a hit record.....It sucks, but it is what it is.

However I love it when a song they refuse to play like Robbies Candy or M's L4L becomes a hit without them.

The real proof in the pudding will be when Madonna releases Ghosttown as her 2nd single. The oh we play it if it's good thing won't wash this time. THAT is probably her best track in ten years.

IF they don't play that, then you know all this talk about song quality is bullshit.

I don't think you are guarantied a hit if playlisted by R1
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/playlist

I'd say half the songs on that list aren't/won't make top 20
  • Options
    Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as it pains me to say it, I think we are looking at a similar Gimme All Your Luv scenario charting position, before chart drop-out. Things have changed so much even in those three or four years of chart compilation that Madonna's now doomed to never have a distinctive top 40 again.

I'll happily - ecstatically, in fact - be proved wrong, but I won't hold my breath over it.
  • Options
    Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,194
    Forum Member
    Not so bad for a day I guess! so all of those couldn't have been the instant grats then she will miss out on the top 10 I think. Wasn't wise releasing yesterday instead of Monday.

Does the Brit Award performance class as a stream under the chart rules? if so she might zoom by tomorrows update. I'm not sure how it works.

The #39 position will have included all the pre orders for the single since it was released to iTunes last month.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob1985 wrote: »
    The #39 position will have included all the pre orders for the single since it was released to iTunes last month.

L4L was never included as a pre-order deal in the UK. It only ever became available to download this week.
  • Options
    PetroliciousPetrolicious Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GhostTown confirmed as the 2nd single
  • Options
    Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is now 26 in the midweeks after two days sales.

I guess it serves them right for not releasing on Monday. It could have been a top 10 hit now it won't be.

Maybe Ghosttown will be the single that takes off for her.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I guess it serves them right for not releasing on Monday. It could have been a top 10 hit now it won't be.

Maybe they are not really bothered about chart position, considering it's Madonna they probably make enough from her, and are not worried about things as trivial as the charts.
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A number one single means nothing now. Anyone thought that maybe she's realised this? An example is Beyonce's 'Drunk In Love'...it never reached number one and best position it got was something like number 7. However, it remained in the top 20 for absolutely weeks and weeks and ended up outselling the majority of the tracks that did actually get to number one while 'Drunk In Love' was in the charts. Some of these other songs that did get to number 1 were out of the charts within a matter of weeks, while Beyonce's track stuck around for ages. Look at the crap that has got to number one over the years...all it takes is incredible promo and you have a high chance of getting a number 1 single, which really just means you had the ebsts elling song of that week. You could be out of the charts the following week. Number one singles just don't mean anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A single to me is a 7" vinyl disc that you physically go out and buy and play on your music centre! Single sales these days mean nothing. If Madonna gets into the top 20, then brilliant. If she doesn't then so what? The world certainly know she's back and they are listening to her music. Job done. That said, it would have been nice to have her in the top ten this week, just for nostalgic reasons!
  • Options
    Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    #26!?

With it being #2 on iTunes I thought it'd be top 5. Guess I was wrong. I like this song
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Derek Faye wrote: »
    #26!?

With it being #2 on iTunes I thought it'd be top 5. Guess I was wrong. I like this song

I like it too. I didn't at first, but now I think it's a good, strong tune! I just bought my download from Amazon. She needs 1000 more sales to get into the top 20, and 10,500 to get into the top ten. I don't think the top ten is possible now, sadly.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    GhostTown confirmed as the 2nd single

source ? :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I like it too. I didn't at first, but now I think it's a good, strong tune! I just bought my download from Amazon. She needs 1000 more sales to get into the top 20, and 10,500 to get into the top ten. I don't think the top ten is possible now, sadly.

Like I said, top 10 would have been possible had they released on Monday. Its a bit :confused: why they didn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »
    source ? :cool:

Johnathan Ross, and apparently she performed it last night also.

I've read the show isn't airing until March though!! I thought and expected it to be this Saturdays show.
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well given that in her latest utterance she thinks we're all Nazis I hope her latest 'masterpiece' tanks. I know self-awareness was never her strong point but she should try to avoid slagging off the countries she wants to buy her product. She must be so relieved to be heading back to that oasis of racial harmony called America.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/26/madonna-attacks-intolerance-and-says-europe-feels-like-nazi-germany
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    well given that in her latest utterance she thinks we're all Nazis I hope her latest 'masterpiece' tanks. I know self-awareness was never her strong point but she should try to avoid slagging off the countries she wants to buy her product. She must be so relieved to be heading back to that oasis of racial harmony called America.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/26/madonna-attacks-intolerance-and-says-europe-feels-like-nazi-germany

Yes, that's exactly what she said. We're all Nazi's... FFS get a grip.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member

wasnt she referring to the muslims?
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    Yes, that's exactly what she said. We're all Nazi's... FFS get a grip.

she said across Europe it feels like Nazi Germany. Do you feel you're living in Nazi Germany? If so you need to get as much a grip as she does ...FFS. Her hypocrisy is breathtaking given the recent shootings of black men by the police and the gunning down of three Muslims in her own country. But not a peep from her about that but I guess she knows pissing off the American market is bad for business, a lesson she learnt the hard way a few years back with her half-baked political analysis.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she said across Europe it feels like Nazi Germany. Do you feel you're living in Nazi Germany? If so you need to get as much a grip as she does ...FFS. Her hypocrisy is breathtaking given the recent shootings of black men by the police and the gunning down of three Muslims in her own country. But not a peep from her about that but I guess she knows pissing off the American market is bad for business, a lesson she learnt the hard way a few years back with her half-baked political analysis.

Madonna was almost sued by the Russian government for promoting homosexuality in that country. She is speaking from her own experience.
  • Options
    Whitehouse95Whitehouse95 Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as it pains me to say it, I think we are looking at a similar Gimme All Your Luv scenario charting position, before chart drop-out. Things have changed so much even in those three or four years of chart compilation that Madonna's now doomed to never have a distinctive top 40 again.

I'll happily - ecstatically, in fact - be proved wrong, but I won't hold my breath over it.

When you consider that as recently as 2008 she was expected to go to number one with her first single release it's shocking. Even the Dutch Eurovision entry managed to get to number 9 last year after only most people had only seen the song being performed once- at the Eurovision final.
  • Options
    Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,172
    Forum Member
    I guess the single should have been released
    a. on Monday
    b. presales for album would have been discounted
    c. single available with remix albums

do music video downloads count? It is number 1 on iTunes video chart

and how do we know about its web viewing figures on spottily, you tube for the UK? Is there an official separate chart?

tbh - it is looking like a top 20 hit at a push ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I guess the single should have been released
    a. on Monday
    b. presales for album would have been discounted
    c. single available with remix albums

do music video downloads count? It is number 1 on iTunes video chart

and how do we know about its web viewing figures on spottily, you tube for the UK? Is there an official separate chart?

tbh - it is looking like a top 20 hit at a push ?

I'm not sure how streaming works in regards to the chart, but I've just checked Spotify and LFL has almost 4.3 million streams since it became available. I'm not sure if that's good :confused:

Ellie Goulding has over 72 million, but I don't know if that's in total, or just this week. Not a clue! :D
  • Options
    Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,172
    Forum Member
    i still think

Devil Pray should have been the first single with a video that featured the gospel and MNEK parts.... Living for love is an album track not a lead single imo.

I am pleased that Ghosttown is the second single.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i still think

Devil Pray should have been the first single with a video that featured the gospel and MNEK parts.... Living for love is an album track not a lead single imo.

I am pleased that Ghosttown is the second single.

I hope we get a few singles. Up until Confessions her album campaigns were always pretty organised - multiple singles, set releases, great videos. But then with Hard Candy it all fizzled after GI2M, and MDNA campaign was practically non existent.

The only artist with any real structure to their releases is Katy Perry - who (as i've said before) is also one of the few artists to maintain a reasonable level of success across all singles.