Options

When you go back to work from illness......

SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What will you tell your employers? Those of you that have been out of work for 3+ years or even longer, when you're mentally better and you get a job interview, what will you say the gap in your work history is about?

How will you word it on your CV or covering letter? what worries me is that the longer your out of work from illness the harder it is to get back into employment. Would you tell them you've been on ESA but now you say I'm better and ready to get back to work but are employers likely to find this a bit worrying?

It's that big gap in being out of work for a long time that may find employers not giving those that's have been sick the job opportunity and discriminative.

Comments

• Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    What will you tell your employers? Those of you that have been out of work for 3+ years or even longer, when you're mentally better and you get a job interview, what will you say the gap in your work history is about?

How will you word it on your CV or covering letter? what worries me is that the longer your out of work from illness the harder it is to get back into employment. Would you tell them you've been on ESA but now you say I'm better and ready to get back to work but are employers likely to find this a bit worrying?

It's that big gap in being out of work for a long time that may find employers not giving those that's have been sick the job opportunity and discriminative.

A letter from my doctor which would cost me £25.
  • Options
    Guts and GloryGuts and Glory Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »

Realistically you would be better off blagging it and say you went travelling, as opposed to admitting you couldn't work for medical reasons. They will take a lengthy sick period into account when hiring staff, as at the end of the day private companies are not charities and exist to turnover profit.
  • Options
    Seamus SweeneySeamus Sweeney Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Realistically you would be better off blagging it and say you went travelling, as opposed to admitting you couldn't work for medical reasons. They will take a lengthy sick period into account when hiring staff, as at the end of the day private companies are not charities and exist to turnover profit.

What terrible advice...advice I urge the OP to ignore, unless wishing to open themselves to the possibility of a criminal investigation/prosecution under the Fraud Act 2006..Section 1, and then regarded as such in any of the subsequent sections..mainly 2 & 3 (potential maximum sentence of 10 years for false representation).

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/d_to_g/fraud_act/#a08
  • Options
    pjexpjex Posts: 9,409
    Forum Member
    Private sector: As soon as you can get out of bed.
    Public sector: At least 2 weeks after the onset of the slight hint of a cold.

Touch paper lit, now withdrawing!
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjex wrote: »
    Private sector: As soon as you can get out of bed.
    Public sector: At least 2 weeks after the onset of the slight hint of a cold.

Touch paper lit, now withdrawing!

I'm not sure about that. From what I hear, the attendance management policies in the public sector are just as draconian as the private sector these days. If not more so in some cases.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Unless it was something which might re-occur, I'd lie through my teeth if necessary.

Say you were rebuilding your house, pursuing a personal project, writing a book, taking time off to be with family etc.
  • Options
    mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What terrible advice...advice I urge the OP to ignore, unless wishing to open themselves to the possibility of a criminal investigation/prosecution under the Fraud Act 2006..Section 1, and then regarded as such in any of the subsequent sections..mainly 2 & 3 (potential maximum sentence of 10 years for false representation).

Well I tend to agree with Guts and Glory on this, .. although of course I suppose it does depend on what you have been suffering from for the last three years?,.... if it is something that is now finished with and you are not likely to get again all well and good but!, if it is some sort of ongoing problem that you think could cause you more problems and sick leave in the future then that is something you can't really gloss over and pretend never happened, only you OP, know the position on that!.... good luck with job hunting though!, I was out of work for about 6 years after being made redundant in 2006 and funnily enough I did go to Spain only for a month mind!, and went to a school over there to brush up on my Spanish and I certainly used that information when I went for jobs, I luckily enough do have a job now and nothing has ever come back to (bite me in the bum) so to speak about it!, although it wasn't a complete lie, just enhanced a little bit, but in saying that, i have only had one day off sick in the three years since I have been there, Good Luck
  • Options
    VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't let there be a gap on your CV - lie.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,994
    Forum Member
    Vulpes wrote: »

Yes, let's all advise people to commit a criminal offence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This really is a bad place to seek advice for matters pertaining to decisions which could have serious consequences for your life/future/peace of mind. The last few replies (before walterwhite) have been glib, and should be treated with a finite pinch of salt if genuinely seeking informed advice.

I'm not sure that the Advice Forum here is any more helpful - not enough time spent there.

Apart from potential criminal liability - in a new age where details of your work/claimant status are ever more easily accessible and shared, there remains on a less serious scale employer's rights to dismiss for aforementioned liberal truths appended to an application or CV securing you a job.

'In Brief' is a site for free legal info where you can post questions (anonymously I believe) and legal experts with access to all pertinent legislation will supply the answer(s) to the questions posed.

Regarding your post, this entry is an additional source I would want to know about (and detailed here) pertaining to non-criminal consequences in the event that it's discovered you lied/ommitted relevant information in order to secure a position with a company/business.

http://www.inbrief.co.uk/employees/lying-on-a-job-application.htm

I guess it's a case of 'peace of mind' vs an endless niggling worry that you could be fired at any time..or (as mentioned earlier) potentially prosecuted depending on the employer and whether they opted to inform the police because they regarded it a matter that should be pursued as a criminal case.

I wish you luck no matter what. No one here will be there to take credit if things go sideways, and it was because you deemed their 'helpful' replies to be one's which contributed to you making decisions you possibly may land in very hot water over.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP read this https://www.cifas.org.uk/record_high_fraudulent_job_applications

If you are caught lying because the employer checks (and they often do check) then you'll be committing fraud.

I would be open and honest, tell your story to them and tell them that after a period of illness you're not looking to get back to work long term. It is going to be a lot harder to get back into work, so make sure you have any medical evidence that you're ready to go back to work, your CV is good and everything is as good as it can be.

I would even be really up front about it in your personal profile, put your career details in there and put after x amount of years work you became ill and you're now looking to return to work. Sell yourself based on your career history as a whole.
  • Options
    sparrysparry Posts: 2,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    I'm not sure about that. From what I hear, the attendance management policies in the public sector are just as draconian as the private sector these days. If not more so in some cases.

A lot can depend on your manager in the public sector though. Some enforce the policy rigidly and some, don't!
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's not lying... It's exaggerating the truth a little :)
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

Why should people have to lie, people get ill simple people get cancer, people suffer mental health problems. And if a employer does not understand these things then they are a bad employer anyway and not worth working for.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Why should people have to lie, people get ill simple people get cancer, people suffer mental health problems. And if a employer does not understand these things then they are a bad employer anyway and not worth working for.

Very true.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »

I tend to think that companies that offer to pay a decent wage are worth working for regardless of any other pontificating shite.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would be as honest as possible, I'd be worried about it catching up on me otherwise.

There's usually a slight gap in mine because I took a PGCE course which I didn't complete so I don't like to include it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I tend to think that companies that offer to pay a decent wage are worth working for regardless of any other pontificating shite.

Clearly you do. Meanwhile here in the present day/reality, people are increasingly aware of the fact that such blase attitudes will - from best to worst

1. Leave them looking over their shoulder and worrying about when/if things are going to unravel.

2. Lose their job, no references and their lives messed up.

3. Potentially end up being prosecuted, landing a criminal record and with the knowledge (depending on circumstances/occupation) face up to 10 years imprisonment.

The wealth of evidence supporting just how bad an idea it is, seemingly skirts past your hugely insightful observations. As clear an example as any that the number of posts next to a username, does not equate to rational and/or helpful responses in a thread where genuine informed opinion is sought.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10 years in prison for saying you were a full time parent or homemaker for the past 3 years? I dont think so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    10 years in prison for saying you were a full time parent or homemaker for the past 3 years? I dont think so.

Who said that ?
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many companies run a full screening process on anyone they make an offer to nowadays and any discrepancies will be thoroughly investigated and evidence required before a contract can be signed.
    We've had very good candidates who have failed the screening process for minor inconsistencies. Be completely honest and upfront otherwise it will come out in the wash and make you look dishonest
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who said that ?

You were trying to scaremonger when you quoted this

3. Potentially end up being prosecuted, landing a criminal record and with the knowledge (depending on circumstances/occupation) face up to 10 years imprisonment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    You were trying to scaremonger when you quoted this

I have no interest in scaremongering. The fact is - had you read the thread properly - including the links provided by me & Thine Wonk, which covered both criminal liabilty and maximum sentences, along with the civil aspect where an employer acts without the intervention of the police, then the information provided was and is 100% accurate.

Get stroppy with the Criminal Justice Sytem if you don't like this :

Or vent your disdain where you see fit if the 'lesser' options aggravate you :

http://www.inbrief.co.uk/employees/lying-on-a-job-application.htm

https://www.cifas.org.uk/record_high_fraudulent_job_applications

Just don't shoot the messenger OK..:)
  • Options
    shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't worked since 2007. If I ever get better, what else am I supposed to tell them, that I've been traveling for 8 years? :D Terrible advice.
  • Options
    Matt_MaherMatt_Maher Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think you have to disclose it do you?

I know in terms of references, you can't be given a bad one. Even if you were dismissed all the previous employer can give as a reference is your start date, job role and finish date.