Options

Why is it some missing people get more media coverage than others?

Comments

• Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    I guess it's easy to see why this one's starting to get coverage.

Police are trying to trace father, 22, who is thought to have gone missing in Luton with his eight-month old son
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2977928/Police-trying-trace-father-22-thought-gone-missing-Luton-eight-month-old-son.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Has the thread about Rebecca Watts been removed?

Yes - not sure why though
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »

Seriously? Ghouls posting about visiting alleged suspects and victims parents facebook pages.didnt help
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would have thought it would be obvious really. It's now a murder investigation so sub judice applies. The DS Amateur Detective Agency will be waiting for the next one though, don't worry.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    I would have thought it would be obvious really. It's now a murder investigation so sub judice applies. The DS Amateur Detective Agency will be waiting for the next one though, don't worry.

And their OTT comments will get that one closed as well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jackol wrote: »
    Seriously? Ghouls posting about visiting alleged suspects and victims parents facebook pages.didnt help

Oh well, the press have named the suspects now & revealed their link to Becky.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed. Going by what I've just read on another site it's probably for the best.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just saw it. Think we should leave it at that because of the latest developments. RIP Becky Watts :(
  • Options
    EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,045
    Forum Member

That and the resulting speculation is probably more to do with why its been removed.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

People on DS get their rocks of on such diverse subjects don't they . ;-)
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The DS Amateur Detective Agency will be waiting for the next one though, don't worry.

Maybe it can break a hundred pages based on even less information next time. Come on DS detectives, we're counting on you....
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

It was sailing very close to the wind with people asking for advice on how to find out the identity of the arrested people. It was only ever going to be a temporary thread until someone was charged anyway.
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member

Just read this. So the families statements not totally accurate then
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Abriel wrote: »
    Just read this. So the families statements not totally accurate then

Yes, they were.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    It was sailing very close to the wind with people asking for advice on how to find out the identity of the arrested people. It was only ever going to be a temporary thread until someone was charged anyway.

I don't have an issue with people being interested in "true crime" per se, but when it gets to that level then it becomes quite creepy. And they actually get offended if you bring up the fact that googling for people's birth certificates or places of work really is crossing the line into borderline stalking behaviour.
  • Options
    MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    What happenef to the girl with Downs?

I think she was found dead tried to google but couldn't find it. I remember a pic of her standing on a cliff path but that's all
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't have an issue with people being interested in "true crime" per se, but when it gets to that level then it becomes quite creepy. And they actually get offended if you bring up the fact that googling for people's birth certificates or places of work really is crossing the line into borderline stalking behaviour.

I don't think anyone was doing that, were they? :confused:

Mind you, I wandered off for a while & when I came back the thread was gone. I guess anything could have happened in the intervening time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone was doing that, were they? :confused:

Mind you, I wandered off for a while & when I came back the thread was gone. I guess anything could have happened in the intervening time.

No that didn't happen at all. It was entirely hints about where the names could be revealed on twitter.

There were a couple of posts about face book pages and who were friends on it. Sorry, nothing at all sensational like ferreting out birth certificates etc. all pretty mundane and predictable really. :D but you know , DS outrage and all that jazz.,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There was no such thing happened. There was a flurry of activity when the people arrested were outed on twitter. That was it.
  • Options
    FanielleFanielle Posts: 1,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People taking issue with things that are in the public are a bit absurd. For example, getting upset that people have "hunted" down her dads facebook page, when in actual fact it was him who chose to make his posts public in the hope it would help her be found.

The facebook post which seems to confirm Beckys relationship to the two arrested was a bit out of order though as the poster had made it "friends only" and one of those friends had screen shotted it and passed it on. That's invasion. But on the other hand, it has stopped other areas of gossip.

i get interested in these sort of things and yes I will look things up and discuss them. I don't think that makes me a bad person though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    There was no such thing happened. There was a flurry of activity when the people arrested were outed on twitter. That was it.

I didn't say that it explicitly happened on that thread, although I can see how my post could be interepreted as such, so i'm certainly sorry for that confusion.

However, it has happened before on those types of threads.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't say that it explicitly happened on that thread, although I can see how my post could be interepreted as such, so i'm certainly sorry for that confusion.

However, it has happened before on those types of threads.

I agree, however the thread was remarkably restrained on this occasion. There was nothing untoward posted but lots of nervous people .,and itchy fingers., and worried mods.
  • Options
    Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    I follow a lot of trials and I admit I look at Facebook and other forms of social media - at both victims, suspects and anything else that might help my understanding of the case. You would not believe how many Facebook profiles are wide open for people to look at everything and, even sometimes, how stupid people actually incriminate themselves. For example, a case that will come to trial later this year where one of the people charged posted a picture of a machete on Facebook which he allegedly appears to have used to kill someone a few days later. Quite chilling. Texts and social media postings/photographs/messages are all used in evidence these days. A trial that started today specifically referred to Facebook messages forming part of the motive.

I'm not an armchair detective - I'm not trying to "solve" these cases - I'm just fascinated by people's relationships and motives. I'm not on the jury so I don't really see what the problem is. I'm not speculating about it online either - just bore my OH with it all 🙈

However, I do agree that the media STILL sail way too close to the wind on some cases and I'm very surprised a major trial has not been severely prejudiced. They have been seriously out of control since the Soham murders in my opinion. I think that's why I like to do my social media "stalking" (as my OH calls it) and follow the local newspaper's daily live updates from court, if available, because I want to be able to make up my own mind not just be fed what to believe by the media.
  • Options
    TylersnanTylersnan Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    I agree, however the thread was remarkably restrained on this occasion. There was nothing untoward posted but lots of nervous people .,and itchy fingers., and worried mods.

I Agee, the whole thread was very well behaved. No mention of names or accusations!
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tylersnan wrote: »
    I Agee, the whole thread was very well behaved. No mention of names or accusations!

The only time I checked in on the thread happened to be when a couple of people mentioned finding the Dad suspicious in a press conference. Hopefully that wasn't indicative of general proceedings.