Options

Cameron says he will take part in only one TV debate in three weeks time

Comments

• Options
    MattNMattN Posts: 2,536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tony321 wrote: »
    Cameron can't win now, whoever is advising him on this has messed up big time. If he now turns up it looks like he has been pressured into doing so and if he doesn't it is because he is frightened of a man portrayed by his mates at the Mail and Sun as being useless.

No wonder he couldn't win the 2010 election and now he is doing the same 5 years later.

He's avoided a situation where he could only lose and has denied his major opponent serious time to express his views.

They'll be more worried in the Labour party than in the Tory party at this present point
  • Options
    Buster1874Buster1874 Posts: 1,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hands up, who has changed the way they are going to vote because of this?
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    MattN wrote: »
    He's avoided a situation where he could only lose and has denied his major opponent serious time to express his views.

Yeah. That's the problem for him. He *could* have put up a good defence, but now nobody thinks he can. He's effectively conceded defeat before the election campaign has begun.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dave is an idiot. He did all the debates in 2010 and did fine.
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,965
    Forum Member
    I've just seen Dave on the news there giving it: " I'm unblocking the log jam the broadcasters have created" . :D

Quite an astonishing comment. I take his usual script writer is having a week off or something.
  • Options
    Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    He lost his bottle he knows what questions will.be asked and that's why he bottled it
    How can.the public seriously vote and trust someone who won't face the people who might vote him.in.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news
  • Options
    MattNMattN Posts: 2,536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Yeah. That's the problem for him. He *could* have put up a good defence, but now nobody thinks he can. He's effectively conceded defeat before the election campaign has begun.

It won't be an issue in May though. Cameron has took the hit now and will move on.

Everyone is getting sidetracked over something that doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,965
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    Dave is an idiot. He did all the debates in 2010 and did fine.

Apparently there are some in the party not quite so convinced about that. They can't believe, and are obviously still a little worried, that Nick Clegg did much better. The feeling being that Cameron's Bullingdon manner, while good in the 'House' , doesn't look as impressive when exposed to the favour of the general public.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And it was me who called him a genius when he went a bit Green.

Little did I know he was just doing a wriggling out.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boyard wrote: »
    Why does he have nothing to gain? Don't the Tories and the media keep telling us how wonderful everyone's lives are and how everyone's back in employment after 5 years of glorious Tory rule? :confused: Wouldn't that be something he'd want to brag about to get his poll rating and votes up?
    You replied to David Tee with the above when he stated that Cameron has nothing to gain by a proper debate with Miliband, the only 2 realistic PM candidates. As well as what you have quite rightly mentioned, there is surely something quite big to gain for Cameron, and also Miliband. The opportunity to break this perceived second hung parliament stalemate and gain a proper parliamentary majority! Not a gain Cameron wants, clearly.

An empty chair for Cameron with a few loose feathers scattered on it would be a good way to show the man up.

Although I'm not mad keen on the debates anyway. Last time they were sterile over regulated fun for just a few journos who got off on them to the point of orgasm, and treated it like nothing more than a boxing match on points. I would much prefer the situation such as in 1983 when Thatcher got skewered on Nationwide by that lady over her Falklands policy and the Belgrano sinking. Stick the PM and other leaders in a studio one on one with a succession of members of the public on early evening TV.
  • Options
    Fappy_McFapperFappy_McFapper Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Empty chair the coward simple as that.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad that the broadcasters are so easily distracted by the next shiny thing that comes along so instead of keeping this at the top of the agenda and really applying pressure for a decent length of time they'll soon lose interest and let Cameron off the hook. If they could just unite themselves and the other parties and say to the Coward of the County, "this is how it's going to be" he'd have nowhere left to run.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    You replied to David Tee with the above when he stated that Cameron has nothing to gain by a proper debate with Miliband, the only 2 realistic PM candidates. As well as what you have quite rightly mentioned, there is surely something quite big to gain for Cameron, and also Miliband. The opportunity to break this perceived second hung parliament stalemate and gain a proper parliamentary majority! Not a gain Cameron wants, clearly.

I hear my name mentioned.... ;-)

Of course Cameron wants it. The question is why do you think it can only be achieved via TV debates? What's wrong with the age-old campaign trail that have seen any number of different government voted in with majorities?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    What's wrong with the age-old campaign trail?

Question asked and answered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MattN wrote: »
    It won't be an issue in May though. Cameron has took the hit now and will move on.

Everyone is getting sidetracked over something that doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things

I beg to differ. His opponents will take as much political mileage out of this as is humanly possible, especially during the debates if there's an empty rostrum.
  • Options
    bokononbokonon Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't blame Cameron for the dodge and the excuse is quite inventive.

And I don't blame Shapps for propagating the BS excuse across the media.

But I am astonished that ordinary people, who are not being paid to do so, are willing to defend him over this.

It is one of those issues where everybody knows what is going on and it does not reflect well on the PM. In fact it blows a hole in the Miliband is useless theme which seems to constitute the entirety of Tory strategy. Surely the more they can expose Miliband to scrutiny the better.
  • Options
    OrriOrri Posts: 9,470
    Forum Member
    Apologies to all who've seen me post this link several times before...

If David Cameron agrees to debate Nigel Farage, he's an idiot: there are no upsides

But he's agreed to debate Garage. So by that reference he's an idiot. The man he's refusing to debate, even before said debate would be borderline illegal, is Ed Milliband.
  • Options
    BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    PM faces being 'empty-chaired' as TV debates are expected to go ahead

Some more stuff about the legalities and what's likely to happen next. Cameron could send a rep or it would just be Miliband with the Tory views through the questions. Statement expected hopefully later tonight from broadcasters on how they'll play it.
    Broadcasters are expected to press ahead with the TV election debates and believe they have legal grounds to “empty-chair” the Tories on the basis that they turned down a reasonable invitation to attend.
    Labour sources suggested the broadcasters could hold what would have been the Miliband-Cameron debate in a Question Time or town hall format in which the broadcaster would state the prime minister had declined to attend but set out Conservative views through the questions put to Miliband.
    In theory, guidelines set by the broadcasting regulator, Ofcom, allow the networks to go ahead without Cameron as long as they show “due impartiality” during their coverage.

This could be achieved by having someone acting as a representative – such as a political journalist – who would balance the broadcast by giving the views of the missing party.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it was Miliband that Cameron the little wimp was afraid of all along.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orri wrote: »
    But he's agreed to debate Garage. So by that reference he's an idiot. The man he's refusing to debate, even before said debate would be borderline illegal, is Ed Milliband.

...which is also covered in the article. As I said earlier, I'd rather he didn't debate anyone. He's nothing to gain by doing so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What's wrong with the age-old campaign trail that have seen any number of different government voted in with majorities?

Because we never get the chance to pull apart their promises, it feels rehearsed, it feels like we're just being spoonfed the PR machine output and there is no scope to try and catch them on the backheel without someone talking into their ear.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hear my name mentioned.... ;-)

Of course Cameron wants it. The question is why do you think it can only be achieved via TV debates? What's wrong with the age-old campaign trail that have seen any number of different government voted in with majorities?

I don't know what is wrong with the age old campaign trail. However, it is Cameron who in the past has spoken so in support of TV debates. Why don't you ask him why he has suddenly changed his mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bokonon wrote: »
    It is one of those issues where everybody knows what is going on and it does not reflect well on the PM. In fact it blows a hole in the Miliband is useless theme which seems to constitute the entirety of Tory strategy. Surely the more they can expose Miliband to scrutiny the better.

The wriggling and evasion from Craven Dave is a gift to Milliband. He's never seemed more commanding. The Martini line is particularly effective.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Empty chair the coward simple as that.

Yes.

• Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Poor Dave. He can't win on this.

If he changes his mind it still wont look good.