Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 63)

Comments

• Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,686
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    We'll see if Banished slips much, the fact it launched so well is impressive.
    It was very well received on here and DS is notoriously fussy so I'm not sure where they got 2 stars from.

I'm sure there will be a dropoff next week as there always is but I think it will hold at a good number.
  • Options
    Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    Cucumber is dated and stereotypical - thing is last night (good job I had a meeting) was indeed a filler night. I can't help noticing that March is a run it on the cheap month. Financial issues maybe?

As for the UK and Eurovision, would it really hurt the BBC to have a national final. Screw Comic and Sports Relief, those countries have had enough.
  • Options
    BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Bushmills.

Thought The Nation's Favourite 70S Song would have been closer to 4m. People's Strictly is a damp squib, nobody watched Cucumber outside of TV reviewers it seems. Britain's Biggest Primary School might do better on a different night?

Agree with all that except the last bit about Biggest Prmary School. After the 'Educating...' franchise, I don't think access to schools feels that special anymore. Also, primary school kids - unlike teenagers in secondary schools - tend to do as they're told, so it makes for a lack of drama/tension.

Great result for Banished. That famous old 'BBC2 default audience' phenomenon strikes again....
  • Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soaps last night

EastEnders 6.83m (34.1%)
    Emmerdale 7pm 5.85m (31.0%)
    Emmerdale 8pm 5.39m (25.5%)
  • Options
    mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    every year the summer season of repeats and filler gets earlier and earlier. We're only in march, the clocks are still yet to change, yet it's almost as if the Channels have shut up shop for the summer already
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Not a very impressive number of viewers watching the main 5 channels last night.

It was the last in the series anyway. Four has one more week of Cucumber. They'll be glad to see the back of them!

Cucumber is another to add to the list of it'll get more awards than viewers...and I think it'll be tough for it to get awards with so much competition.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Let's Play Darts illustrates my point about how difficult a slot 10pm is nowadays perfectly.

Sun 9pm: 2.88m (12.8%)
    Mon 10pm: 1.61m (9.5%)
    Tue 10pm: 1.55m (9.3%)
    Wed 10pm: 1.20m (7.1%)

Admittedly it inherited an especially poor lead-in last night which won't have helped one bit, but what a struggle it's becoming after an incredibly promising series premiere at the weekend.

You'd have to be a bit die hard to watch it every night. I'm not surprised it's plummeted.
    newkid30 wrote: »
    Delighted, I thought it was excellent, To be perfectly honest I only watched because nothing else was on. This has BBC1 written all over it, it could do very well on a Sunday evening IMO, though it is quite harrowing so on second thoughts maybe not.

Not watched it yet but did wonder why this was on BBC2 when it seemed mainstream enough for bbc1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bushmills wrote: »
    Agree with all that except the last bit about Biggest Prmary School. After the 'Educating...' franchise, I don't think access to schools feels that special anymore. Also, primary school kids - unlike teenagers in secondary schools - tend to do as they're told, so it makes for a lack of drama/tension.

Great result for Banished. That famous old 'BBC2 default audience' phenomenon strikes again....

And Banished got far less of a promotional campaign than Cucumber. Just a few trailers compared to posters, print ads and PR stunts. Makes you wonder if all that PR stuff is worth it after all?

I also think Banished was clear in showing what it was about in its trailer. With Cucumber there were mixed messages. A lesson to be learnt there for Channel 4.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was very well received on here and DS is notoriously fussy so I'm not sure where they got 2 stars from.

I'm sure there will be a dropoff next week as there always is but I think it will hold at a good number.

I am shocked they only gave it 2 stars. Banished was much better than that.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LHolmes wrote: »
    Soaps last night

EastEnders 6.83m (34.1%)

Awful. You'd think summer had arrived already. The 8pm ED on Thursday really needs to be moved/scrapped. It's just too much. EE hardly great either.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am shocked they only gave it 2 stars. Banished was much better than that.

Questioning of why BBC launched this days before Poldark. The review I've read on DM is more about this being a spoiler. Reviewer seems to be a fan of Poldark being remade. As for Banished as I said on thread best new drama for a while.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Overnights.tv
    .@ClassicCar_TV continues its strong run with an increase of nearly 17% share on C5s slot avg @RussLindsay @QuentinWillson @RealJodieKidd
    https://twitter.com/overnightstv/status/573781411209023488

Ratings news without an actual rating. So informative. (sarcasm)

Not sure a 17% increase is much to shout about given Five does appallingly at 7pm usually.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soaps last night

EastEnders 6.83m (34.1%)

Not a good night for the soaps. That 8pm share for Emmerdale is a shocker.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going be a warm weekend it looks like maybe this effect ratings more as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Questioning of why BBC launched this days before Poldark. The review I've read on DM is more about this being a spoiler. Reviewer seems to be a fan of Poldark being remade. As for Banished as I said on thread best new drama for a while.

If ITV/Channel 4 made it and showed it before Poldark it would be a spoiler. I think interest in Poldark is so high that people will watch on Sunday regardless. Banished was excellent.
  • Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    If ITV/Channel 4 made it and showed it before Poldark it would be a spoiler. I think interest in Poldark is so high that people will watch on Sunday regardless. Banished was excellent.

Is Poldark about the same thing? Trailers look dull.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Going be a warm weekend it looks like maybe this effect ratings more as well.
    In your back yard maybe, but not here. Wall-to-wall cloud both days with spells of rain on Sunday, albeit temps up to 12C. Hello spring ! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newkid30 wrote: »
    Is Poldark about the same thing? Trailers look dull.

Similar in that they are costume dramas. The Poldark trailer looked good to me. I'll certainly be watching.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Only repeating what reviewer said. Made me wonder why the concern about Poldark. It will get massively more viewers due to channel and slot.
  • Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Awful. You'd think summer had arrived already. The 8pm ED on Thursday really needs to be moved/scrapped. It's just too much. EE hardly great either.
    The shares for EE and the first Emmerdale aren't bad but I'm not sure what happened to the second one. Was it against anything big on BBC One? Maybe the Alicia storyline is putting viewers off?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Only repeating what reviewer said. Made me wonder why the concern about Poldark. It will get massively more viewers due to channel and slot.

Yes. I was questioning the reviewer. It's an odd stance they have taken and a nonsensical one at that. As you say, Poldark will do well anyway. I think it could launch very high.
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Surprised Banished did so well, but then it has been trailed almost as much as Poldark. I agree it's silly to stay one could act as a spoiler for the other, if anything this makes me more confident about Poldark's success. There did seem to be a time when all BBC Two dramas launched strongly (c.3m) but they rarely held up, maybe this year will be the same but hopefully with them holding up better. Banished was the BBC Two drama I was looking forward to the least, but even DS seemed to like it so I'll definitely give it a go. I still have a couple of episodes of Wolf Hall to watch first though. Hopefully this means London Spy can launch just as well, Life in Squares might be a bit more niche though.

Great rating for Sewing Bee as well, it hasn't took off in the way Bake Off did but it's still a very solid hit for them. Very enjoyable too, as was Allotment Challenge which I sadly can't see coming back with its ratings. They are all obvious copies of the Bake Off format but to me each has its own distinctive style and charm so that doesn't bother me. Haven't bothered with the Painting Challenge yet though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The shares for EE and the first Emmerdale aren't bad but I'm not sure what happened to the second one. Was it against anything big on BBC One? Maybe the Alicia storyline is putting viewers off?

Did anything suddenly get a massive increase at 8pm compared to last week on the other channels to hit Emmerdale?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised Banished did so well, but then it has been trailed almost as much as Poldark, and I agree it's silly to stay one could act as a spoiler for the other, if anything this makes me more confident about Poldark's success. There did seem to be a time when all BBC Two dramas launched strongly (c.3m) but they rarely held up, maybe this year will be the same but hopefully with them holding up better. Banished was the BBC Two drama I was looking forward to the least, but even DS seemed to like it so I'll definitely give it ago. I still have a couple of episodes of Wolf Hall to watch first though.

Great rating for Sewing Bee as well, it hasn't took off in the way Bake Off did but it's still a very solid hit for them. Very enjoyable too, as was Allotment Challenge which I sadly can't see coming back with its ratings. They are all obvious copies of the Bake Off format but to me each has its own distinctive style and charm so that doesn't bother me. Haven't bothered with the Painting Challenge yet though.
    How did Sewing Bee do?

I think if BBC2 dramas can stay above 3m in consolidated then they're doing well. The Fall was down on its first series but still better than most BBC2 dramas on Thursday.
  • Options
    ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. I was questioning the reviewer. It's an odd stance they have taken and a nonsensical one at that. As you say, Poldark will do well anyway. I think it could launch very high.

Anyone would think that The Times and The Daily Mail had connections to rival tv companies.:D

I do find it odd that two costumers are on at the same time not forgetting Jonathon Strange, which was trailed recently.
This discussion has been closed.