Options

Poldark

Comments

• Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    tally wrote: »

I'd never heard of him (The Hobbit and LOTR are not my genre) but I was really surprised how quickly I forgot that he wasn't Robin Ellis, but definitely was Ross. He's very easy on the eye, that's for sure.:)

He was in Desperate Romantics and rather hot if not a very nice person in that too
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muggsy wrote: »

Being male I think I would prefer Dave Myers old job.
  • Options
    ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    Deleted
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ChrissieAO wrote: »
    I agree. Trouble is, Aghared Rees played the younger and more mature Demelza so well, she really looked right for the part. Eleanor Tomlinson does not, in my opinion, far too mature looking, even dressed as a boy.
    Apart from that, I really enjoyed the first episode and much as I did not think anyone could top the lovely Robin Eliis as Ross, Aidan Turner is doing a pretty good job!

I agree with you about Anghared Rees, she was brilliant ! There was a skittishness about her Demelza .
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jtnorth wrote: »
    I think I saw something in the press that they had changed the age of Demelza so she wasn't under age. Apologies if I'm remembering wrong, but I think I've seen that. So I don't think this Demelza is meant to be 13.

Even dafter for them to call her "child" then.

Janet43 wrote: »
    Demelza was well played as the filthy street urchin that she was and I can understand why it was thought necessary to make her older than in the book in the light of some events in the news. Although she wasn't a red head, I thin we'd have been disappointed if she hadn't been following the depiction by the lovely late Angarhad Rees.

No, we wouldn't. I am disappointed that she is not dark haired with amazing dark eyes like DEMELZA!
    zackai48 wrote: »
    With the exception of Phil Davies, who was unconvincing as Judd, I enjoyed the show very much.

I thought the comic potential of Jud and Prudie was criminally overlooked. In the books they are really funny.
  • Options
    enna_genna_g Posts: 2,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok I fell in love with Aidan Turner as Mitchell the vampire in Being Human and loved him as Rossetti in Desperate Romatics and even as the Dwarf Kili in the Hobbit - if anyone could make a dwarf look good - he could. So I was hoping that Poldark would be good and I was not disappointed. The scenery was gorgeous the acting superb and as I don't know the story I have nothing to compare it with and thoroughly enjoyed it. Looking forward greatly to next weeks episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, don't remember that at all, I thought the dog came along later and died in suspicious circumstances, probably at George's bidding. Anyway, the dog was named after David Garrick, who in turn gave his name to the Garrick theatre in London. I don't think Demelza or her family would have been aware of the man enough to have named a dog the same name ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Garrick

In the book the fact that Demelza gets beaten up for trying to save Garrick from a fight (actually in the book the mob had tied the dog tail to tail with a cat) prompts Ross's typically quixotic involvement.

Garrick dies of old age. It's described in the 10th book, The Loving Cup.

George has nothing to do with Garrick. I think you're thinking of a different story.

I don't think we are ever told why the dog is called Garrick. There must be other Garricks than the famous one?
  • Options
    hrh7hrh7 Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed it last night and was a devotee in the 1970s.

Apparently Robin Ellis is in this one. Does anyone know what part he's playing and when we might see him? I assume he wasn't in last night's.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    hrh7 wrote: »

Apparently Robin Ellis is in this one. Does anyone know what part he's playing and when we might see him? I assume he wasn't in last night's.

He plays the reverend Halse and is listed as appearing on last nights episode.
  • Options
    swan007swan007 Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Overall I enjoyed it but I'm fed up already with the cliffs/ the sea/ the coastline. It's too similar to Jamaica Inn.
  • Options
    ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    hrh7 wrote: »

He was on the One Show with Aidan Turner last week and apparently he is playing the Reverend Halse.
    I have to say he still looks good at 73!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swan007 wrote: »
    Overall I enjoyed it but I'm fed up already with the cliffs/ the sea/ the coastline. It's too similar to Jamaica Inn.

:o:o!
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh lord. I really wanted to love it but I only liked it.

The music is not a patch on the original.

The 3 main leads are not as good as the originals - Aidan Turner may be lovely to look at but Robin Ellis is the definite Ross Poldark.

Jud and Prudy are awful; not a patch on the originals.

Why did they put George Warleggan in so early and why does he have an uncle now as opposed to a father?? Makes no sense.

Verity is as plain in this as she is in the books.

I made the mistake of watching the original on dvd last week. Yes, this version is lovely to look at and the camera work is far superior and all that - but for me the characters fall well short.
  • Options
    ayrshireman1ayrshireman1 Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dear oh dear, Beatie Edney needs to go to slimming classes.
    Shocking weight gain.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is a shame - I am glad I never watched the 70s version now!
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, and Ross's scar is a joke.
  • Options
    VicsMumVicsMum Posts: 5,666
    Forum Member
    Shocking weight gain.

Yes, the fat cow! Why doesn't she close her gob, eh?

Christ, anyone reading this would think it is the Mail's sidebar or Close/Heat/Now magazine. What does her weight has to do with anything?
  • Options
    ayrshireman1ayrshireman1 Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VicsMum wrote: »
    Yes, the fat cow! Why doesn't she close her gob, eh?

Christ, anyone reading this would think it is the Mail's sidebar or Close/Heat/Now magazine. What does her weight has to do with anything?

I am NOT making fun of her. I am genuinely concerned for her health.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps not a good idea then to watch a programme set in Cornwall.
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am NOT making fun of her. I am genuinely concerned for her health.

I'm sure Ms Edney appreciates your concern. Perhaps you could spare some of it for her mother; also overweight but still going strong.
  • Options
    TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It amazing how Ross was savagely kicked in the head and face, resulting in blood pouring from his mouth, yet his even, white teeth were unharmed.
    At least the locals had the black, broken foul teeth you might expect in that era, although, perhaps as there were no processed food and sugary snacks, Squashes etc perhaps we shouldn't assume most had rotten teeth.
    If in those times you were unfortunate enough to have crowded crooked or missing teeth, you couldn't do anything about it, and I bet no one had fluorescent Simon Cowell teeth!
    The upper classes last night had dazzling white and even molars, too
    Carrying on the theme, there wouldn't have been such fresh looking fabrics.
    All these velvety and silks couldn't be washed, must have been stained and smelly.
    However, if these series were too realistic, it wouldn't make for nice viewing, would it!
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, and Ross's scar is a joke.

Looks like somebody jogged his elbow while he was putting lippie on! :D
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tellystar wrote: »
    It amazing how Ross was savagely kicked in the head and face, resulting in blood pouring from his mouth, yet his even, white teeth were unharmed.
    At least the locals had the black, broken foul teeth you might expect in that era, although, perhaps as there were no processed food and sugary snacks, Squashes etc perhaps we shouldn't assume most had rotten teeth.
    If in those times you were unfortunate enough to have crowded crooked or missing teeth, you couldn't do anything about it, and I bet no one had fluorescent Simon Cowell teeth!
    The upper classes last night had dazzling white and even molars, too
    Carrying on the theme, there wouldn't have been such fresh looking fabrics.
    All these velvety and silks couldn't be washed, must have been stained and smelly.
    However, if these series were too realistic, it wouldn't make for nice viewing, would it!

It's like Ross' hair. :D. Designer tousled and sharp sideboards. No other male on there looked like this. Common locals look a mess and the upper classes have wigs or very neat hair.
  • Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    Thing is, not everyone has your viewing habits, especially when they are that part of the audience funded by the co-producers in the USA. Those people will not have seen Jamiaca Inn, and they will mostly enjoy the scenery for the first time.

Shocking weight gain.

You sound like that hateful woman from the Daily Mail
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh lord. I really wanted to love it but I only liked it.

The music is not a patch on the original.

The 3 main leads are not as good as the originals - Aidan Turner may be lovely to look at but Robin Ellis is the definite Ross Poldark.

Jud and Prudy are awful; not a patch on the originals.

Why did they put George Warleggan in so early and why does he have an uncle now as opposed to a father?? Makes no sense.

Verity is as plain in this as she is in the books.

I made the mistake of watching the original on dvd last week. Yes, this version is lovely to look at and the camera work is far superior and all that - but for me the characters fall well short.

Pretty much how I feel. It's a pale shadow of the original. :cry: It ought to be loads better because of all the technology and clever camera work available now, but it's not.