Options

Opinion Polls Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    Latest Populus poll (06 - 08 Mar):
    LAB - 33% (-)
    CON - 32% (+1)
    UKIP - 15% (-1)
    LDEM - 9% (+1)
    GRN - 6% (+1

8 Friday, 9 today. Libdems on a roll.
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    8 Friday, 9 today. Libdems on a roll.

It's the Lib Dem surge!!!

;-)
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ashcroft posting a new poll at 4pm UK Time.(national)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ashcroft posting a new poll at 4pm UK Time.(national)

The way ashcroft fluctuates, it could have the greens ahead!
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member

;-)

Must be all the students moving away from Ed's ridiculous fee-cap pledge!:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

;-)

Joking aside, I expect the lib dems to poll in the mid teens come election day. Probably 14%.
    They have a lot of undecided ex voters.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    totally.
    I think if Lucas was leader she would be the new "clegg" this Debate series

You do realize that despite 'cleggmania" at the last election the Lib Dems actually lost 5 seats?
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry but I can't really believe that. For that to be true we have to be willing to believe that 14.9% of voters switched from Tory to UKIP and 17.6% of voters switched from LibDem to UKIP. While the former is quite plausible, the latter (and a higher percentage too) is laughable.

Alternatively we have to believe that 6.9K Labour voters stayed at home, 9K LibDem voters stayed at home, and the full UKIP result comes from 2010's UKIP, BNP and 9K of Tory votes. Again, technically plausible but highly unlikely.

The truth is more likely that some Labour voters switched to UKIP, with this effect being masked somewhat by the number of LibDem voters switching to Labour.

This is exactly what happened in Middleton. A lot of Labour's 'traditional', older supporters voted UKIP whilst former Lib Dems voted tactically to keep Labour in.
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vote anything but blue, red or yellow. Then the so and so s might actually think and do something...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    You do realize that despite 'cleggmania" at the last election the Lib Dems actually lost 5 seats?

No In regards of raising a leaders profile
    I really can see the Green Leader struggling in these debates, She seems decent enough
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is exactly what happened in Middleton. A lot of Labour's 'traditional', older supporters voted UKIP whilst former Lib Dems voted tactically to keep Labour in.

Well, last time this 'older traditional Labour supporter' voted Lib dem for the first (and last) time in his life in an attempt to keep the Tories out (as I had recently moved from a very safe Labour seat to a staunch Tory strong hold up here in the NE) and even though I know it's utterly futile in this seat, as a pig in a blue rosette would win, I shall vote Labour if for no other reason than a matter of conscience.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »

Mainly due to boundary changes which negatively effected the Lib Dems in almost ever seat that they lost. Surprising that isn't it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ashcroft National Poll, 6-8 March: CON 34%, LAB 30%, LDEM 5%, UKIP 15%, GRN 8%. Full details on

Breakdown on last time

CON - 34% (-)
    LAB - 30% (-1)
    UKIP - 15% (+1)
    GRN - 8% (+1)
    LDEM - 5% (-2)
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mainly due to boundary changes which negatively effected the Lib Dems in almost ever seat that they lost. Surprising that isn't it.

Not half as surprising as the fact that the Lib-Dems then voted a couple of years later to keep those same boundary changes in place. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that's a 2nd 5% for the libdems
    Be interesting to see how these numbers tally with the Yougov dailies this week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ashcroft actually replied to me on Twitter.
    He seems to think people don't care about the debates as much as the media.
    I wonder given the tory lead will they (labour) move on now and just allow the no show to have the effect ?
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ashcroft actually replied to me on Twitter.
    He seems to think people don't care about the debates as much as the media.
    I wonder given the tory lead will they (labour) move on now and just allow the no show to have the effect ?

I think that the manifestos and the Budget are of prime importance.

Doing well last time in the debates did Clegg no good at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    I think that the manifestos and the Budget are of prime importance.

Doing well last time in the debates did Clegg no good at all.

that's very true. If they drop below 5% this week in the dailies...:o
    That press conference today Uncle vince looks already defeated
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ashcroft polls bravely going it alone...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Ashcroft polls bravely going it alone...

Must be honest Dying to see the Libdem numbers this week.
    They have all but vanished and only appear to say something that never makes headlines after they stop speaking
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    that's very true. If they drop below 5% this week in the dailies...:o
    That press conference today Uncle vince looks already defeated

He's had a good innings, perhaps he had dreams of returning to the Labour fold and becoming their Chancellor.:D
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Ashcroft National Poll, 6-8 March: CON 34%, LAB 30%, LDEM 5%, UKIP 15%, GRN 8%. Full details on

Breakdown on last time

CON - 34% (-)
    LAB - 30% (-1)
    UKIP - 15% (+1)
    GRN - 8% (+1)
    LDEM - 5% (-2)

link to it
    http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2015/03/ashcroft-national-poll-con-34-lab-30-lib-dem-5-ukip-15-green-8/#more-7768
    What jobs would the leaders be best suited to outside politics? Mr Cameron would be a headmaster, or a company director “in charge of things”. Mr Farage would almost certainly be a pub landlord, and a good one at that, or would run his own small but successful business. The groups struggled to place Mr Clegg in the outside world: probably something administrative or perhaps a supermarket store manager. Mr Miliband’s ideal job – and this from people who did not know of his previous career – was to be a university professor. Make of that what you will.

full data tables http://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/ANP-150309X-Full-data-tables.pdf

Scottish snippet for the week - SNP up to 54%, 70% of Scots would be happy to have a coalition between Labour and the SNP, compared to 27% in England.:)
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,997
    Forum Member
    link to it
    http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2015/03/ashcroft-national-poll-con-34-lab-30-lib-dem-5-ukip-15-green-8/#more-7768

full data tables http://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/ANP-150309X-Full-data-tables.pdf

Scottish snippet for the week - SNP up to 54%, 70% of Scots would be happy to have a coalition between Labour and the SNP, compared to 27% in England.:)

Actually the figures don't specify a coalition partner for the SNP - just whether respondents would be happy to see the SNP as part of a coalition government. They might be just as happy with an SNP/Conservative coalition :D
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lovely little question that snuck its way into the Ashcroft polls - it shows that outside the Labour Party, on balance people believe they would have been worse off under Labour. Exactly the kind of mentality that will count come election day

Worth noting the views of the swing voters here...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_quKtMUIAA7rH-.jpg
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Exactly the kind of mentality that will count come election day

But if people believe that nothing would change under either Labour or the Tories, wouldn't that make them more inclined to vote for a fringe party or not vote at all rather than vote Conservative?
This discussion has been closed.