Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2010 - That Sounds Good to Me
    The 2015 entry just won the worst ever.
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,376
    Forum Member
    2006 - Teenage Life
    Honestly, looking at that poll, I disliked all of them except COTU, I Can and It's My Time! Although Flying the Flag does have a certain camp appeal now that the horror of hearing it for the first time has long been forgotten... :o:D

2015's entry goes straight to the bottom of the pile for me, right next to Josh Dubovie, Daz Sampson and Andy Abraham
  • Options
    SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2008 - Even If
    Has to be the tortoise.
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2007 - Flying the Flag (For You)
    The way I see it is why should Britain spend so much of the tax payers money hosting it when we know musically we are better. We don't have to win. Since the event is mainly funded by the big 6 (don't know who the 6th is) , the UK, Germany, France, Italy and the host nation, if UK won, we would be paying twice. IMO we should stop funding it and bow out of it.

Perhaps, choosing a bad entry we ensure we do not win.
  • Options
    MissMidgardMissMidgard Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    2006 - Teenage Life
    bornfree wrote: »
    the big 6 (don't know who the 6th is)

Big 5. The 6th is the country who won the previous year, if not one of the 5, as they become automatic finalists.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way I see it is why should Britain spend so much of the tax payers money hosting it when we know musically we are better. We don't have to win. Since the event is mainly funded by the big 6 (don't know who the 6th is) , the UK, Germany, France, Italy and the host nation, if UK won, we would be paying twice. IMO we should stop funding it and bow out of it.

If a country wins they don't pay a participation fee, country to popular belief most of the funding these days will come from sponsors and the host city its self SVT spent very little of its own money in 2013 to host
  • Options
    Forum Member
    2006 - Teenage Life

It's the big 5, actually, plus the winner (and this year, Australia) who get automatic entry. There is no big 6.

The big 5 pay more than other countries, yes, but the amount we pay each year is absolute peanuts to the BBC. It costs about the same as a single episode of a BBC soap or drama for us every year, and the actual hosting cost of the contest, if we were to win, is mostly covered by sponsors and contributions. Hardly "so much" of UK the tax payers money.

Perhaps you should do a little research before you post stuff like this? ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    If a country wins they don't pay a participation fee, country to popular belief most of the funding these days will come from sponsors and the host city its self SVT spent very little of its own money in 2013 to host

Thank you for that but either way it doesn't bother me:) The UK hasn't won for so long that even with the best entry, it is not likely to win. But hey, it is entertaining to watch and one doesn't need to concentrate too much. I can watch Eurovision and do other household chores at the same time:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Checks wrote: »
    It's the big 5, actually, plus the winner (and this year, Australia) who get automatic entry. There is no big 6.

The big 5 pay more than other countries, yes, but the amount we pay each year is absolute peanuts to the BBC. It costs about the same as a single episode of a BBC soap or drama for us every year, and the actual hosting cost of the contest, if we were to win, is mostly covered by sponsors and contributions. Hardly "so much" of UK the tax payers money.

Perhaps you should do a little research before you post stuff like this? ;)

OMG where did that come from, did I do something to upset you personally. Or did you forget its a public forum and people discuss and pass opinions. I wasn't aware that I needed to do research before posting an ad hoc opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    2006 - Teenage Life
    Thank you for that but either way it doesn't bother me:) The UK hasn't won for so long that even with the best entry, it is not likely to win. But hey, it is entertaining to watch and one doesn't need to concentrate too much. I can watch Eurovision and do other household chores at the same time:)

Are you secretly trying to get in as many UK Eurovision (incorrect) stereotypes as possible? :D;)

For the record, Austria won last year, having not won since 1966. We have no idea if the UK will never win again. If we send a fantastic song, and everything aligns, I have no doubt we will. It might be next year, it might be 10 years from now, but the fact remains is that we have no idea ;):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    2006 - Teenage Life
    [/B]

OMG where did that come from, did I do something to upset you personally. Or did you forget its a public forum and people discuss and pass opinions. I wasn't aware that I needed to do research before posting an ad hoc opinion.

Well of course people can discuss their opinions - the more, the merrier! But you stated some incorrect facts, not opinions, which is why I suggested you may want to do a little research first, that's all :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well of course people can discuss their opinions - the more, the merrier! But you stated some incorrect facts, not opinions, which is why I suggested you may want to do a little research first, that's all :)

I never said they were facts. I posted on an ad hoc basis. Get a life! Perhaps as it means so much to you, why don't you share and educate people with your research so that people don't come on here and post incorrect facts. There ways to say things and I think you need to learn a few lessons about communicating on a forum. >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    2006 - Teenage Life
    I never said they were facts. I posted on an ad hoc basis. Get a life! Perhaps as it means so much to you, why don't you share and educate people with your research so that people don't come on here and post incorrect facts. There ways to say things and I think you need to learn a few lessons about communicating on a forum. >:(

I honestly didn't mean to upset you, I corrected you on a few statements you made, that's all (statements which you did state as fact, not as opinions, there's a difference, but I'm happy to let that go :))

I'm happy with how I communicated, I don't think I was personal or rude (although I suppose there is the issue of things being percieved differently when written down), but I do apologise if you are upset. As I said, it wasn't my intention.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you secretly trying to get in as many UK Eurovision (incorrect) stereotypes as possible? :D;)

For the record, Austria won last year, having not won since 1966. We have no idea if the UK will never win again. If we send a fantastic song, and everything aligns, I have no doubt we will. It might be next year, it might be 10 years from now, but the fact remains is that we have no idea ;):)

No not really, I am not that Machiavellian. Just wondered into this thread again after hearing the UK entry. Didnt realise I would be jumped on by so many die hard Eurovision fans. May be should wonder out before I get strangled or even murdered.:D
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    2014 - Children of the Universe
    i voted for 2014. it was so corny... i think scooch was the best entry and guess what the uk public picked it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I honestly didn't mean to upset you, I corrected you on a few statements you made, that's all (statements which you did state as fact, not as opinions, there's a difference, but I'm happy to let that go :))

I'm happy with how I communicated, I don't think I was personal or rude (although I suppose there is the issue of things being percieved differently when written down), but I do apologise if you are upset. As I said, it wasn't my intention.

I'll let it go. Thank you for clearing it. I never said they were facts. If I had posted facts I would cite a source or a link. But I did no such thing. Infact like I said it was posted on an ad hoc basis.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only ones I like from those are It's My Time, Believe In Me (I'm a big Bonnie fan and the album version is good), and Children of the Universe. Flying the Flag was just a bit of fun and I thought it was quite catchy as far as novelty songs go. Ditto for Teenage Life.

The rest were all terrible.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    babba wrote: »
    2015 is the worst ever by a mile...

I particularly like the bit where the male singer offers his love sneezes and nasty diseases?:D
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,636
    Forum Member
    That Sounds Good To Me by a country mile.

To go from from Andrew "classy ballad" Lloyd Webber to Peter "1989 Big Fun b-side reject" Waterman in 12 months was an insult to Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Josh was such a charismatic singer to pull it off, wasn't he? :D
  • Options
    Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2008 - Even If
    I voted for Even If. TSGTM was terrible, but at least you could sing along in a defeatist way. Even If was just poorly produced, and very drab.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    2006 - Teenage Life
    Pandora. wrote: »
    I voted for Even If. TSGTM was terrible, but at least you could sing along in a defeatist way. Even If was just poorly produced, and very drab.

I'm loving the image of everyone singing along, looking all drab and defeatist, staring down at the floor with a union jack draped meekly over their shoulders :D
  • Options
    Whitehouse95Whitehouse95 Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You boring sod, I'm always at a Eurovision party and completely rat-arsed come the voting. Never been to the actual contest but still, I suppose it's second best. I've made it my goal to go next year though. :)
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went with Even If purely because I couldn't even remember it. Who even sang it? :s
  • Options
    Forum Member
    2006 - Teenage Life
    I went with Even If purely because I couldn't even remember it. Who even sang it? :s

Andy Abraham of X Factor fame. It was terrible.
  • Options
    contejascontejas Posts: 8,958
    Forum Member
    Andy Abraham of X Factor fame. It was terrible.

It was no "Woo You Make Me"